Vaporizers

Hi All,

I did read the forum that said edibles, medibles but could not find a better place for this question (sorry). I have been looking at Iolite, and Vapir, I want something small portable and easily cleanable. Does Iolite only use their brand of butane? how have any of you liked these products would like some feedback.

Sorry Diz, I have tried medibles and I just cant seem to get the desired effect!!

Thanks to all in advance for your reply,

lilbuddy

I've tried the iolite portable and a "volcano" knock-off which worked just as a volcano does. (We tested heat ranges and times side by side) After using them both for what I consider to be ample time, I hated them. But both for different reasons. The iolite portable was a pain in the arse and it really didn't work as I was expecting. If all butane portables are like that one, I wouldn't bother buying one. Now the volcano knock-off worked just fine but I found that my med effects didn't last as long as hoped and I really didn't see much of a medication savings over a period of time vs. using a pipe. If I did ever want to vape again, I would probably end up just building one as they aren't that complicated and there are many techniques across the net that you can adapt it to.

I love the iolite portable. It draws hard, so I see why some people do not like it. It heats fast and can be used anywhere. You can get it on ebay for around 130. You have to use the recommended butane though, I think there is around 5 brands. Colibri butane is recommended and is available at smoke shops near me.

The extreme is a solid product too and a great value.

Edited by thanks2

I've tried the iolite portable and a "volcano" knock-off which worked just as a volcano does. (We tested heat ranges and times side by side) After using themoth for what I consider to be ample time, I hated them. But both for different reasons. The iolite portable was a pain in the arse and it really didn't Tokwork as I was expecting. If all butane portables aapere like that o own vape?ne, I wouldn't bother buying one. Now the volcano knock-off worked just fine but I found that my med effects didn't last as long as hoped and I really dmake myidn't see much of a medication savings over a period of time vs. using a pipe. If I did ever want to vape again, I would probably end up just building one as they aren't that complicated and there are many techniques across the net that you can ady Dailyapt it to.

Hey Daily Toker,

I am a big DIY person. Can you head me to links to make my own vape?

Thanks,

lilbuddy

Arizer Solo. Very portable, well designed, battery powered, good temp regulation. I bought it from suggestions here after mentioning here that my main vape experience was with the Magic Flight Launch Box. THAT is, of course, the ultimate in portability. The Magic Flight folks will wax ecstatic regarding the science behind why they believe it to be a superior vaporizer, but I was never really that enamored with it. But I love the Solo.

As far a DYI, I looked around a bit a while back and the main methods seem to be either opening a lightbulb & cleaning it out (WELL, some nasty stuff inside) and heating it, or with various vaporizers designed around a temperature controlled heat gun. Nothing seemed very elegant in design, nor precise, nor portable. If you do find some interesting DIY vapes, let us know about it here!

z

Hey Daily Toker,

I am a big DIY person. Can you head me to links to make my own vape?

Thanks,

lilbuddy

You can pretty much just type it into google and they will all pop up. https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+make+a+vaporizer

Most methods include using a cheap ($10) soldering iron. The idea I have for one (just floating around in my head) would be to use a more expensive unit (in the $20-30 range online)and build a controller based on voltage with a heat trigger to 'idle' when it hits your desired temp. I would probably implement a small digital readout, couple LED lights and obviously an on/off switch. I am good with composites so I would probably make the base out of carbon fiber with two glass chambers. Carbon Fiber itself is not flammable but the resins are. However when they are cured the heat resistance jumps way past 1000*f which the vape would never reach. Looks cool in my head? :D Past just being cool I believe it would function pretty nice.

Edited by DailyToker

As far a DYI, I looked around a bit a while back and the main methods seem to be either opening a lightbulb & cleaning it out (WELL, some nasty stuff inside) and heating it, or with various vaporizers designed around a temperature controlled heat gun. Nothing seemed very elegant in design, nor precise, nor portable. If you do find some interesting DIY vapes, let us know about it here!

z

I believe the white powder inside incandescent bulbs is phosphor, which on a more pure form is highly toxic. However I "think" manufactures cut that toxicity down by making the phosphor more impure by adding other rare earth materials. Most of the "bulb" methods are pretty bunk and not even worth trying. I believe the heat gun methods are also a bit on the ghetto side. Reason being IMO the point from taking the temperature from cold to hot takes too long thus creating a dry heat blasting chamber which I feel destroys your meds before getting the benefits when you vape. Again, this is just my theory and I have no proof. But it sounds good right? <_<

Edited by DailyToker

Never done this, but I thought about it: Use an electric oven as the heat source. Use some sort of container to hold the meds, I was thinking metal, or a type of glass that can take vape temps. Metal flex hose threaded up through the hole in the one burner that lets the oven vent up through it. The newer flat tops wouldn't work. The metal flex hose would be hot coming up out of the oven. Maybe a ceramic or wooden mouthpiece over it would fix that. Just a rough idea I kicked around, but never tried it..... or worked the bugs out. Idea popped into my head when I noticed our new oven has a digital temp. display..... and the old gears started churning, but then realized it wouldn't work with a flat top. So, I shelved that idea..... and just dusted off that idea, when I saw this post. LOL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMO, the Arizer Solo is the absolute best portable vapeout there. I had a NO2, and sold it--(the solo's battery is waaaay better). I much prefer it to the Launch Box also, which I have also owned. I wouldn't buy an Iolite myself, as I'm super sensitive to butane smell and taste, so I wouldn't even consider investing in it. As far as a desktop, my Silver surfer is my "heavy hitter"--it's the ticket for a non portable. I have used cheaper box vapes, volcanoes, and owned a zephyr ion--It is far better than all those IMO. PS--the Zephyr Ion is the vaporizer that had all the problems with importation legality. Good luck in your search, and Happy Vaping!!

I've had a Solo for a few months, bought as a replacement for my old wooden log-style Purple Days vaporizer. I agree with the previous guys that the Solo is a great portable vaporizer with fantastic battery life. It's main drawbacks for me have been:

• Stinky smell -- seems to be some off-gassing from chemical residue (on the batteries? circuit board?), but it is mostly curable. I disassembled mine and wiped it down with ISO, and the smell is almost entirely gone.
  • Glass stems -- I like glass as much as the next guy, but I carry this thing around every day and worry about breaking stems. Only broken one so far, though, and they're less than $10 each.

I've vaped bubble hash and ISO oil successfully in the Solo, usually by burying the hash in a nice bed of buds.

For oils, though, back up to THC Scientific's post earlier, and follow up on him. He is the creator of the Omicron and Persei, both portable battery-powered vaporizers that work best with solvent extracts / oils. After learning about the new Persei vaporizer I almost regret buying that Solo a few months ago. The Persei is smaller and might be more discreet. I've also considered switching from buds to oil for on-the-go vaping, to reduce smell.

edit: Tarzan here is a distributor for THC Scientific's line of vaporizers, and a big fan of the Omicron.

Edited by boroboro

I use the Vapir II as my portable unit, have owned it for nearly 2 years now. I have to say it is the finest portable that I have tried thus far and I've used a lot of vaporizers over the years. It is very adjustable heat wise and produces vapors nearly on a par with the Volcano, and most of you know how I feel about the 'cano, my estimation is that it is one of the top vapes on the market. The cannabis community is producing better and better vapes all of the time, most within the financial grasp of many of us. I look forward to the day when everyone can afford one.

Don't want to cut down the Iolite but it burns rather hot for my taste. It is a bit more stealthy than the Vapir II in appearance.

Peace ... j.b.

I've had a Solo for a few months, bought as a replacement for my old wooden log-style Purple Days vaporizer. I agree with the previous guys that the Solo is a great portable vaporizer with fantastic battery life. It's main drawbacks for me have been:

• Stinky smell -- seems to be some off-gassing from chemical residue (on the batteries? circuit board?), but it is mostly curable. I disassembled mine and wiped it down with ISO, and the smell is almost entirely gone.
  • Glass stems -- I like glass as much as the next guy, but I carry this thing around every day and worry about breaking stems. Only broken one so far, though, and they're less than $10 each.

... (snip)

The smell was a problem in some units. Lots of discussion on f*ckcombusion. Never had this problem with mine.

I love the solo, although the tight fit of the glass tube means that it isn't always easy to get a good draw.

z