Email-O-Matic Now On The Mmma's Servers Pt. 2

Robert --

Thank you for your message concerning recent attempts to weaken the Medical Marijuana Act. I share many of your concerns. I strongly support the Medical Marijuana Act, and I think we should be working to strengthen the law rather than weaken it.

The Act was written to ensure that everyone who is both qualified and medically in need of a prescription can use marijuana. It is important for us to make sure that the Act does not exclude any who are truly in need.

Those who are using or growing medical marijuana in full compliance with the Act should be protected, and their right to privacy should be maintained. Judges and officials ought to recognize those provisions of the law which allow citizens to grow or use medical marijuana. Medical marijuana users are certainly not a "danger to society," they are simply seeking effective treatment, and they should not be punished or denied that opportunity.

Once again, thank you for your concern about these issues. I will keep your thoughts in mind for future legislation. The Act has been effective thus far, and there is no reason to hinder patients' full and free access to medical marijuana treatment if that treatment is truly necessary.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Jeff Irwin

53rd District

State of Michigan

517-373-2577

http://053.housedems.com

JeffIrwin@house.mi.gov

Thank you for your email. As you may be aware, I have been appointed to lead a House workgroup on Michigan's Medical Marihuana Act. I appreciate knowing your concerns, and can assure you that while I review the act, I will do so with patients and care givers in mind. In my opinion, the act needs some clarification to protect the rights of care givers and patients, to give further direction to law enforcement, and to ensure that we are upholding the provisions that were passed by the voters.

Again, I appreciate having your thoughts, and will keep your position in mind in the days and weeks ahead.

Sincerely,

Kenneth B. Horn

State Representative

94th District

Dear Mr. bob

Thank you for writing me regarding your concern with your court case. With regards to the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act, I believe that the people have spoken and that the legislature and Attorney General are playing games with the law. However, given the Constitution’s requirement of a separation of powers, I am unable to involve myself in judicial matters. I cannot look into the case and I cannot speak on your behalf. You can trust, however, that if legislation is brought before me which infringes on the choices Michigan voters made in 2008, I will vote to support the MMMA.

The Michigan Medical Marihuana Program is administered by the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. If you are needing information on the law and your rights in this situation, they may be able to help. Their contact information can be found on this webpage:

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,1607,7-154-27417_51869---,00.html

Regards,

Ellen

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your email. As you may be aware, I have been appointed to lead a House workgroup on Michigan's Medical Marihuana Act. I appreciate knowing your concerns, and can assure you that while I review the act, I will do so with patients and care givers in mind. In my opinion, the act needs some clarification to protect the rights of care givers and patients, to give further direction to law enforcement, and to ensure that we are upholding the provisions that were passed by the voters.

Again, I appreciate having your thoughts, and will keep your position in mind in the days and weeks ahead.

Sincerely,

Kenneth B. Horn

State Representative

94th District

this is a email i got from him

Sincerely,

Kenneth B. Horn

State Representative

94th District

this is a email i got from him

and the reply i sent

That is all i am hoping for but as you know Law enforcement does not like the Law because it protects all the people that are sick and need medical marihuana at least here in Oakland County the people have spoken to allow the sick and dieing to use medical marihuana just keep that in mind

and the reply i sent

That is all i am hoping for but as you know Law enforcement does not like the Law because it protects all the people that are sick and need medical marihuana at least here in Oakland County the people have spoken to allow the sick and dieing to use medical marihuana just keep that in mind

and his reply back to me

Thank you. I will attempt to focus on measures that protect what the people passed, but not more than what was passed.

and his reply back to me

Thank you. I will attempt to focus on measures that protect what the people passed, but not more than what was passed.

When what was passed is accepted it will overflow the barriers of zero tolerance and discrimination requiring the modification of myriads of law and procedures involving attutudes towards cannabis . One of the most disturbing for society will be the realization that the right to work as on any medicinal item be aknowledged . We simply cannot afford to loose 6% of our workforce any longer let alone the 1% that are now legal qualified patients struggling with how to ensure their cannabis tree only bears 2.5 ounces of dried flowers to prevent arrest .

It is important to remind officials our population represents the sick and dieing many of who are alive due to their own alternative medicine routines not just cannabis which are being denied in jail and hospitals around the State .

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Rep. LeBlanc (District 18) <dist018@house.mi.gov> wrote:

Dear Friend: Thank you for your message regarding proposed legislation to alter Michigan's Medical Marijuana Act. I appreciated hearing from you.

I have serious concerns regarding the way in which the medical marijuana constitutional amendment is being implemented and being taken advantage of by some doctors and others. I believe that changes are necessary that respect the voters' decision in 2008 but which ensure that illegal activities are not permitted. A number of bills have been introduced to address these concerns. I am working with the bill sponsors as well as the Attorney General to find solutions which prevent abuses of the enacted amendment and provide law enforcement with better guidance in regards to what is and is not permissible under the law.

I respect your concerns regarding access to privacy of medical marijuana patients, and will advocate for a solution that allows law enforcement to have the information they need to protect the public, while at the same time creating safeguards to prevent abuse of information.

It is my hope that a number of the issues surrounding medical marijuana can be resolved in the near future. Again, thank you for contacting me. If I can assist you with other matters involving the City of Westland or our great state, I hope you will choose to contact my office toll-free at (888) 737-5325.

Regards,

Richard LeBlanc

Michigan State Representative

18th District - Westland

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the issue of Medical Marijuana. I am glad to hear from you, and have the opportunity to share the latest news on this important issue.

In 2008, the citizens of Michigan voted in favor of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act. This act allows doctor-approved use of marijuana by patients who have certain serious medical conditions.

Recently, there was a package of bills introduced in the Senate that calls for common sense reform to the current law. The package includes banning felons from supplying medical marijuana patients, makes it a crime for doctors to falsely certify a patient, requires photos on medical marijuana cards, and allows communities to specifically zone for medical marijuana dispensaries.

While I understand that the voters of Michigan overwhelmingly supported the Marijuana Act, I also believe that it is not perfect. As a legislator, I have a duty to my constituents to openly and honestly review proposals designed to better our laws and keep our communities safe.

Thank you again for contacting my office. I appreciate your thoughts on this issue and will keep them in mind when reviewing this package of bills.

Sincerely,

Phil Pavlov

State Senator

District 25

Dear :

Thank you for writing me to share your concerns about Senate Bill 377, a bill to amend the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act to require the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs to verify information regarding the identity or address of a qualifying patient or primary caregiver to a law enforcement officer.

You raise valid points in your letter. I have also heard from patients, caregivers and compassion clubs in my district who support and welcome this legislation. The information would only be disclosed to a law enforcement officer acting in the scope of their official duties and would not be published for the general public to view. I will keep your apprehensions in mind when the final version of the bill is presented to me for a vote.

Thanks for taking time to contact me. The thoughts and opinions of my constituents are very important to me and I keep them in mind as we discuss issues.

Sincerely,

Judy K. Emmons

State Senator

33rd District

Thank you for your message concerning recent attempts to weaken the Medical Marijuana Act. I share many of your concerns. I strongly support the Medical Marijuana Act, and I think we should be working to strengthen the law rather than weaken it.

The Act was written to ensure that everyone who is both qualified and medically in need of a prescription can use marijuana. It is important for us to make sure that the Act does not exclude any who are truly in need.

Those who are using or growing medical marijuana in full compliance with the Act should be protected, and their right to privacy should be maintained. Judges and officials ought to recognize those provisions of the law which allow citizens to grow or use medical marijuana. Medical marijuana users are certainly not a "danger to society," they are simply seeking effective treatment, and they should not be punished or denied that opportunity.

Once again, thank you for your concern about these issues. I will keep your thoughts in mind for future legislation. The Act has been effective thus far, and there is no reason to hinder patients' full and free access to medical marijuana treatment if that treatment is truly necessary.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Jeff Irwin

53rd District

State of Michigan

517-373-2577

JeffIrwin@house.mi.gov

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. I always enjoy hearing from concerned citizens and gathering their feedback.

The people of Michigan were clear in their intent when they passed the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMMA) in 2008. I have no desire to overturn the MMMA, or nullify the will of the people.

Unfortunately, the MMMA was written in such a manner that many important and unanswered questions have arisen from legitimate patients, caregivers, municipalities, law enforcement and many others. The ambiguities in the law have resulted in a great deal of litigation, and as a result, the need for the courts to step in and fill those gaps in the law.

Much like legislative policy changes often require multiple bills to properly resolve an issue, it is often - if not almost always - necessary for the legislature to provide a framework around a citizens' initiative like this to ensure fair and appropriate implementation of the citizens' adopted law.

There are many in the legislature and affected groups, who do not wish to see the MMMA be determined by constant changes and costly, protracted court battles. Therefore a bi-partisan group of legislators was put together to craft a legislative package to bring clarity to the MMMA. The intent is to ensure that legitimate patients have safe access, and that municipalities and law enforcement have a clear and consistent rather than a confusing patchwork framework for enforcement.

The workgroup recommendations will then head to the Judiciary Committee where the bills will be subject to an open and public debate, to create the best possible piece of legislation for the citizens of Michigan.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Regards,

Jase Bolger

State Representative

63rd District

(517) 373-1787

*Mr. Bolger can't even put in enough effort to spell his first name correctly. It's James, not Jase*

I here it from most of them that the Law is to bring clarity to the MMMA. and then when we get in front of are judge she say's the Law is easy to understand are case is from 2009 we were legal all the way

here in Oakland County it does not matter how legal you are they will not let it happen

if you live here and grow STOP because soon they will have your name and address IMHO

I sent a letter requesting a meeting and got the response shown from Rep David Rutledge. I have set up a phone meeting to discover what are his concerns and what legislation he feels is necessary. Then I hope to study up and arm myself for a follow up call or meeting to at least make him see the potential impact to patients. That's my hope anyway.

-------------------------------

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 9:05 PM

To: Rep. David Rutledge

Dear Representative Rutledge and Ms. Arents,

I have learned recently that the Michigan Legislature plans to act very soon on proposed legislation aimed at restricting the provisions of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act of 2008. As a legitimate patient I find this very troubling.

We have exchanged several emails on this topic but frankly, I am unsure exactly where you stand on the proposed legislation. Are you considering voting for any of the proposed bills? If so, could you tell me which ones you support and why you feel they are needed? As you might imagine. I am opposed to these bills and feel that if the law were implemented as it is written, there would be no need for further legislation.

Please let me know your thoughts as soon as possible as time is short. If you intend to support any of these bills I would appreciate a chance to meet with you in person before you vote to discuss the implications of the legislation.

Thank you for your interest in protecting legitimate patients. We sincerely appreciate your help.

Regards,

xxx

---------------------------------------

Dear Mr. xxx,

Good to hear from you – I appreciate your candidness, and your passion about this important issue. As I have attempted to communicate in the past, I believe that patients who need it should have fair access to medical marijuana. The issue, of course, is in implementation: as of this writing, it remains unclear exactly what the legislation will look like that is slated to be debated in the House Judiciary Committee, much less voted on in the full House. As you know, the very earliest I will be able to vote on the bills is after they’ve come through Committee.

I would be happy to meet to discuss this matter – please respond with the time(s) of day that might work best for you (mornings, afternoons, etc). Unless you’d like to come to Lansing to meet, we will likely need to find a time on a Monday or Friday. Emily will work to set up the meeting once you have responded.

Thank you again for reaching out.

Regards,

David

State Representative David E. Rutledge

Michigan House District 54

www.rutledge.housedems.com

517-373-1771

www.facebook.com/derutledge

Hi All, here's what Ken Horn said to me, and I am not taking it lightly, writing to him again, haven't sent it yet, so here's the whole thing- first, his letter responding to me, then my reply to him. Let's not let it rest, especially with HIM, since he's heading up the project, mentioned the "workgroup" he met with, (cpu, right?) I'm sure I also recall that Bb met with him, too, I put in bold the part I feel is most important that he said. Anyway here's the letters.

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:56:16 -0500 "Rep. Ken Horn (District 94)" <dist094@house.mi.gov> wrote:

>Thank you for your email. As you may be aware, I have been

>appointed to lead a House workgroup on Michigan's Medical

>Marihuana Act. I appreciate knowing your concerns, and can assure

>you that while I review the act, I will do so with patients and

>care givers in mind. In my opinion, the act needs some

>clarification to protect the rights of care givers and patients,

>to give further direction to law enforcement, and to ensure that

>we are upholding the provisions that were passed by the voters.

>

>Again, I appreciate having your thoughts, and will keep your

>position in mind in the days and weeks ahead.

>

>Sincerely,

>

>Kenneth B. Horn

>State Representative

>94th District

Dear Mr. Horn,

Thank you for replying to my letter. I am very aware of the work you're doing and the group you met with; I also know you've met with representatives from other groups. The people who say we do not want the law to be changed, are the ones who understand what your proposed changes will do to the medical marijuana community.

The voters understood the bill, it was perfectly clear to us. You are only seeing one side of this issue. The workgroup you heard from wants to change the law, too, and do not have the best interest of the medical marijuana community at heart. I voted for this law, I will not let misinformation tear it apart. Your constituents are watching, many voted for you, if you vote to change this law, don't count on their vote. Others have met with you who explained the law and what your changes would do. Patients are suffering because the law has never been properly implemented. If it had been, these problems would not exist. Please Honor the law and the Will of the People.

Sincerely, ____

Is my response good enough to send?

Sb

i think we all got the same E-mail back from him

Probably, but we can't let it rest, he's the head of the whole project, he's the most important one. Stay on jones and walsh, too. Whoever your reps are, even if it isn't them, please stay on them. They need to know we won't rest and just accept their answers. I hope my letter is good, I wanna send it ASAP.

Sb

this is what I got

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. I always enjoy hearing from concerned citizens and gathering their feedback.

The people of Michigan were clear in their intent when they passed the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMMA) in 2008. I have no desire to overturn the MMMA, or nullify the will of the people.

Unfortunately, the MMMA was written in such a manner that many important and unanswered questions have arisen from legitimate patients, caregivers, municipalities, law enforcement and many others. The ambiguities in the law have resulted in a great deal of litigation, and as a result, the need for the courts to step in and fill those gaps in the law.

Much like legislative policy changes often require multiple bills to properly resolve an issue, it is often - if not almost always - necessary for the legislature to provide a framework around a citizens' initiative like this to ensure fair and appropriate implementation of the citizens' adopted law.

There are many in the legislature and affected groups, who do not wish to see the MMMA be determined by constant changes and costly, protracted court battles. Therefore a bi-partisan group of legislators was put together to craft a legislative package to bring clarity to the MMMA. The intent is to ensure that legitimate patients have safe access, and that municipalities and law enforcement have a clear and consistent rather than a confusing patchwork framework for enforcement.

The workgroup recommendations will then head to the Judiciary Committee where the bills will be subject to an open and public debate, to create the best possible piece of legislation for the citizens of Michigan.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Regards,

Jase Bolger

State Representative

63rd District

(517) 373-1787

then this is what I sent back

Well thank you for the response so fast I was definitely not expecting that, thank you. If I can I would like to know your personal option on what parts of the act are missing and unanswered questions? I would also like to ask you how do you plain on voting for the Walsh package? I feel the act could of been a Little more clear but with the changes that they want to make would purty much take all most all of the act away. I believe if their was more clearly of the act it would be a lot easier for everyone in this lovely state but the changes they want to make is not the changes the people would like to see. If I was helping make some changes to the act I wouldn't change much, just clean it up so everyone can understand the act. One of the bills that I have a big problem with is the one that says anyone that has a felony cant be a caregiver, I am a caregiver and I have a felony but its not drug related it stupidly related, Its bad enough that I don't get as many job offers because of it, now they want it so that I cant help anyone enjoy the quality of life so that they can spend time with their loved ones ether! I also don't know how they would want to violate hippa laws with most of the changes of the act. I'm shire the founding fathers are rolling over in their grave knowing that are government they help create would not want the people to assemble. I'm just a concerned citizen and caregiver/peasant and would like the act to stay intact.

Thank you for your time

mc

Am sure they will let us all know were and when to show up

i don't think so

Archived