The Petitions Are Printed!

http://www.facebook.com/repealtoday

You can pick up petitions at the MI NORML quarterly meeting on Saturday between noon and 4pm at the East Bay Lodge, 125 Twelfth Street, Prudenville, MI 48651

check out the facebook for the most up to date info an where to pick up petitions to gather sigs. or volunteer to gather.

Stop the violence, End Prohibition.

we also are but are a Little worried about it back firing on the sick people here in Mi

i'm sure cardholders will still get recognized as using medicinaly rather than recreationaly. which is funny to think, how many other recreational drugs can also have safe medical uses. "I'm pickin up a 12 pack tonight to combat my arthritis"lol

also they have the wording of the amendment on the site, it says anyone over 21 can GROW, USE, SELL, DISTRIBUTE, all covered! and becouse it is an actual amenment to the constitution so federal law will not "trump" it like it does medical.

There is no reason at all that the MMM Act AND 'full legalization' of cannabis cannot both work at the SAME time.

If someone can show me HOW cannabis 'legalization; would harm the MMM Act, I am more than willing to listen and to fully consider their opinion, just as are many other people.

Turf battles and ego wars will get us nowhere!

The MMJ community will soon have so many restrictions placed upon it by the anti-MMJ groups out there, that there will be no other option BUT to have the voters 'legalize' cannabis.

It may be time to take a look around.

I for one, will be supporting ' full lagalization'.

There is no reason at all that the MMM Act AND 'full legalization' of cannabis cannot both work at the SAME time.

If someone can show me HOW cannabis 'legalization; would harm the MMM Act, I am more than willing to listen and to fully consider their opinion, just as are many other people.

Turf battles and ego wars will get us nowhere!

The MMJ community will soon have so many restrictions placed upon it by the anti-MMJ groups out there, that there will be no other option BUT to have the voters 'legalize' cannabis.

It may be time to take a look around.

I for one, will be supporting ' full lagalization'.

I would say mmm patients would just have more leniency placed upon them for actually having their cards opposed to the legal recreational users, for example being allowed a higher thc blood count or different restrictions involving work. a patient would be able to show up for work "medicated" while a recreational user would be frowned upon for being "stoned" on the job.

i'm sure cardholders will still get recognized as using medicinaly rather than recreationaly. which is funny to think, how many other recreational drugs can also have safe medical uses. "I'm pickin up a 12 pack tonight to combat my arthritis"lol

also they have the wording of the amendment on the site, it says anyone over 21 can GROW, USE, SELL, DISTRIBUTE, all covered! and becouse it is an actual amenment to the constitution so federal law will not "trump" it like it does medical.

Well .. some guys figure it that way and some guys don't .. :)

Er .. the amendment doesn't impact federal law. What is nice about an amendment is that Lansing can't change it, even with the 75%.

In order to change an amendment it is required to have another vote cast by the voters. We the people ONLY.

Petitions aren't available for download; they've been printed and are being distributed by the organizers. The process started last week, Petitions should become more widely available soon, as more Volunteers get them. :thumbsu:

If you'd like to Volunteer to colllect signatures, you can sign up here https://help.repealtoday.org/

Petitions aren't available for download; they've been printed and are being distributed by the organizers. The process started last week, Petitions should become more widely available soon, as more Volunteers get them. :thumbsu:

If you'd like to Volunteer to colllect signatures, you can sign up here https://help.repealtoday.org/

i will be trying to get some in the GR area, i will keep anyone interested up-to-date!

Yes I want to get some petitions - don't know if I have to come pick them up in GR, or will organizers be bringing them north?

I can only hope they spread like wildfire! im pretty sure to get the mmm act on ballot it took close to a million sigs. and this is only requiring less than 400k, so this part should be easy but we still have to be on it! There are all sorts of non cannabis users out there who are for legalization, many people of all classes/or situations or whatever are for this, there are seniors in high school organizing to help pass it knowing they will not be able to use for 3 years after they vote, they feel it should be thier decision once they reach that age(21) to make the choice for themselves. the old, the young, left wing, right wing, more people than ever before are aware of the problems caused by the failed drug war. politicians, lawyers, doctors, all walks of life are for this, so hopefully the petitions make it everywhere!

There is instruction/training being offered by MINORML to those who will be taking petitions door to door for voter signatures.

Please take the training to insure all voter signatures are valid.

Countdown to Nov 2012. :rock:

Is there still going to be training over in Houghton Lk. today and if so what time?

Is the reason for this a legal one?

is this true if so i'm all inn also

Since all the signatures have to be gathered in a short time, rolling 90 days I think, are the signature forms going to be distributed before the signature campaign? If we have the infrastructure in place then role out hard and heavy our chances are greatly increased.

I think the signatures are due early July, the ninth maybe? any one else know for sure?

Infrastructure is the key. Over the next few months there will be lot's of activities. We need to build an organization that not only gathers signatures but also can fight the propaganda that will be coming our way. Let me clear about this. if this effort is seen as being the reason that people weren't focused on defending the Act, and the Act gets gutted, it will not have the support of the MMJ community. Think BIG! Fight on all fronts. defend the sick! Thanks, Bb

I agree, safe access to medicine for the sick and keeping patients out of jail is the first priority. But if rallying the state behind us with 63% in 2008 clearly hasn't helped with this, and most are unaware of what the politicians and LEO's have done to the act in the last 4 years. It seems our cries for help have been no match for the screams of the prosecution. Until NOW, our plan b (or c or d etc.)is to unite with the voices of those who also want change, those who want to make a decision in the choices they get to make in their lives. We are lucky cannabis is such an easy medicine to prove safe, safe enough it can be used to relieve simple symptoms(a bad day at work) for those who are not actually chronically ill/disabled. For i'm not sure what PR harm could come to patients for agreeing that our medicine is safe enough for anyone. Hopefully this may work, We just need to keep focused on "it's Safe" and make sure as many people know that as possible :D

WOW .. some bad info here.

We have six months to get the necessary signatures.

In 2008, we turned in about 500k signatures. Many more than we needed.

Our target is to turn in 500k .. again many more than needed. The extra is for buffer.

This is for an amendment for the Michigan state constitution. Not the federal constitution.

The main benefit for amending the Michigan constitution is that to change it later requires another vote on a ballot issue. None of this stuff about 75% or whatnot ..

Lansing will be toast. Nearly unable to do anything about it at all.

Any patient currently unable to present a medical defense will suddenly have all charges dropped.

Let me say that in a different way.

There is a new way to get your case dropped .. help us to change the law.

WOW .. some bad info here.

We have six months to get the necessary signatures.

In 2008, we turned in about 500k signatures. Many more than we needed.

Our target is to turn in 500k .. again many more than needed. The extra is for buffer.

This is for an amendment for the Michigan state constitution. Not the federal constitution.

The main benefit for amending the Michigan constitution is that to change it later requires another vote on a ballot issue. None of this stuff about 75% or whatnot ..

Lansing will be toast. Nearly unable to do anything about it at all.

Any patient currently unable to present a medical defense will suddenly have all charges dropped.

Let me say that in a different way.

There is a new way to get your case dropped .. help us to change the law.

we will be FREE after the vote's are inn?

Well .. some guys figure it that way and some guys don't .. :)

Er .. the amendment doesn't impact federal law. What is nice about an amendment is that Lansing can't change it, even with the 75%.

In order to change an amendment it is required to have another vote cast by the voters. We the people ONLY.

http://www.lenconnect.com/opinions/editorials/x255284872/Our-View-Petition-to-legalize-marijuana-in-state-won-t-solve-problem

ADRIAN, Mich. —

Michigan’s attempt to legalize medical marijuana has created widespread confusion, as two more cases before the state Supreme Court illustrate, and ongoing conflict with federal law. So backers of a new Michigan proposal to legalize marijuana outright should refocus their efforts at the root of the problem.

By now, virtually everyone concedes Michigan’s 2008 ballot initiative legalizing medical marijuana was well-intentioned but had serious problems. To name just a few were vagueness over how patients could be certified, how caregivers could legally obtain plants and the issue of dispensaries.

The thorniest issue, though, is the state law’s defiance of the federal government’s ban on marijuana. Even with state legalization extended only to medical patients with certain illnesses, federal authorities have conducted raids and seized medical records, and Michiganders have ended up sentenced to time in federal prisons. Expanding state permission to grow, sell and use marijuana to hundreds of times more people will only expand the number of federal cases against Michigan residents.

To be clear, we believe the federal war on marijuana has been a mistake in terms of money spent, lives lost and power given to illegal drug cartels that flout the prohibition. Although we do not endorse the use of marijuana, just as we do not endorse smoking cigarettes, we believe it’s time to end the federal ban and to implement a process of regulation, both medically and commercially. A Gallup poll in October showed that a record 50 percent of Americans now feel the same way.

That can’t happen, however, until the federal ban ends. Passing conflicting state laws won’t work. The U.S. Supreme Court already addressed precisely that issue, with marijuana, in its 2005 case Gonzales vs. Raich. It ruled 6-3 that state law is no defense against the federal ban, even for home-grown marijuana used for medical purposes.

That’s not to say the latest petition drive doesn’t have some appeal. For one thing, it eventually could help push Congress to do what it’s failed to for decades. For another, it would end the state’s current sham in which healthy residents obtain bogus certification without any medical need. We also applaud the efforts of supporters seeking to make a bad situation better.

Passing a state initiative that would put even more residents in violation of federal law, though, is irresponsible. It would be little different than telling state residents they don’t need a license to fly an airplane, or anything else that the federal government prohibits. It might mean less effort by local officials pursuing marijuana — although federal-local operations might occur — yet it would certainly mean state money wasted on a federal court battle that’s already been lost. In the end, it would result in more people who thought they’d obeyed the law finding themselves in federal court facing federal prison sentences.

A better route for ending the ban is to pressure Congress. Sen. Carl Levin is a longtime member and Sen. Debbie Stabenow and Rep. Tim Walberg both are up for election. If they truly believe in respectively, compassion for the ill in Stabenow’s case or limited federal government in Walberg’s, then they ought to support the ban repeal already introduced by Reps. Barney Frank and Ron Paul or introduce a different version themselves.

Trying to fix a federally based problem through further defiance at the state level may feel satisfying but, in the end, will not fix a federal prohibition that has been a nationwide failure.

Great to see a small town media publication taking a clear stance like that.

They make a good point about federal prohibition being the real enemy, but I believe that states individually exercising their rights is a good starting point for a national movement.

BTW I signed up for petition drive and have only had 1 communication from repealtoday. It was an email giving 1 day notice to pick up petitions at a NORML meeting.

Archived