Medical Marijuana Owner Headed To Trial After Judge Denies Motion To Dismiss

David1946

Medical Marijuana Owner Headed To Trial After Judge Denies Motion To Dismiss

http://www.themorningsun.com/articles/2012/01/17/news/doc4f15e23911edb982742710.txt

by LINDA GITTLEMAN

Gratiot Managing Editor

A motion to dismiss the case against a Gratiot medical marijuana supplier was denied by the judge Tuesday.

Todd Prior, 49, of St. Johns and the owner of the Great Lakes Holistic Cannabis Club on M-46 has been charged with three counts of delivery of marijuana and one count of possession, said Gratiot County Prosecutor Keith Kushion.

The charges center around donations made to Prior at his store in August, Kushion said.

Kushion said customers would come into the store, specify the kind of marijuana wanted and put a donation in a jar. Prior would then allegedly make arrangements to meet at the Park and Ride on M-46.

In the motion, Prior claimed that he had a medical marijuana card and was a qualified care giver. However, Kushion said the people he delivered the marijuana to were not in his care.

Circuit Court Judge Randy Tahvonen agreed with Kushion.

“He said no,” Kushion said. “It doesn’t matter if you put a donation in a jar, it is still the sale of marijuana.”

Prior’s arrest came after two deliveries were made to undercover officers from the Mid Michigan Area Group Narcotics Enforcement Team. Another exchange was also allegedly made, witnessed by the MAGNET members, Kushion said.

Prior also allegedly had additional amounts of marijuana in his possession,with various names on the bags and for whom Prior is not a registered caregiver, Kushion said.

His charges carry a maximum penalty of of four years in prison, Kushion said. His trial date is scheduled for Feb. 8

4(e) A registered primary caregiver may receive compensation for costs associated with assisting "a" registered qualifying patient in the medical use of marihuana. Any such compensation shall not constitute the sale of controlled substances.

What part of this dont they understand?? test case i assume...

this is why the AG wants to change the parts of the Law they are trying to change the letter A to the word The

this is why the AG wants to change the parts of the Law they are trying to change the letter A to the word The

The bills coming up for vote in the legislature if passed, will take almost all the protections provided us by the act. The Supreme Court is issuing opinions on parts of the law that may well not exist in a few weeks. I know I will pay close attention to how the "lawmakers" vote, and do everything in my power to see they lose every elected position they ever run for. Of course if the bills pass, they will be able to send almost any Patient or Caregiver that opposes them to prison without a fair trial.

Archived