What I Love About Coco

cujo

coco retains moisture longer, I can go away three days without watering. Coco maintains airation providing much needed oxygen to the roots. and in reg soils without coco you wait till the plants ask for water, or you over water causing root rot. Well that leaf curl/droop that tells you the girls are ready for a drink that takes time away from growth it might only be minutes or a few hours each time but that adds up to a few days over the life of the plant. You cant over water coco it just runs off if its already saturated. you say good by to root rot. Plus it is known to contain some bennies and it's a good medium for bennies to thrive. You can rinse and reuse if your mostly organic. it's even better second time around. mix with your pro-mix or sunshine mix. many people mix one bag peat based soil mix with one bag coco based mix. I make my own pro-mix for the greenhouse so I use this mixed with straight coco 60/40 and no complaints from me or my plants.

coco retains moisture longer, I can go away three days without watering. Coco maintains airation providing much needed oxygen to the roots. and in reg soils without coco you wait till the plants ask for water, or you over water causing root rot. Well that leaf curl/droop that tells you the girls are ready for a drink that takes time away from growth it might only be minutes or a few hours each time but that adds up to a few days over the life of the plant. You cant over water coco it just runs off if its already saturated. you say good by to root rot. Plus it is known to contain some bennies and it's a good medium for bennies to thrive. You can rinse and reuse if your mostly organic. it's even better second time around. mix with your pro-mix or sunshine mix. many people mix one bag peat based soil mix with one bag coco based mix. I make my own pro-mix for the greenhouse so I use this mixed with straight coco 60/40 and no complaints from me or my plants.

Coco can be over-watered. Over watering doesn't occur in most common setups simply by giving the plant too much water over a 20 minute period. Over watering takes days of keeping the medium completely saturated. This can be reduced by adding perlite/vermiculite which is why its often recommended for beginners to start out with SS#4. Coco/Peat bases behave very similar in terms of watering. How long between watering has much more to do with plant growth and its stage of life, humidity, air circulation, etc. than whether its coco or peat. Some of the best organic gardeners I know use containers with no holes and no perlite/vermiculite in the mix. They go a week between waterings or more. No root rot, and no problems. Much harder for a beginner to have that kind of patience and skill. Best to use a high drain mix to prevent that issue with the trade of being more frequent watering which leaches the soil of mineralized nutrients. So we use liquid (and to some extent top dressings) synthetics/organics to compensate in these high drain mixes.

You are correct about the under watering stunting growth. Also as plants lose access to water they lose the turgor pressure which keeps their shape. This also shuts down major vascular structures effecting the leaves first. Some of these become permanently damaged and cause the plant to lose access to NPK, thus yellowing of the leaves will occur. Great way to flush your plants incidentally.

Not sure what science you are basing that statement about beneficials off, but coco is anti-fungal, anti-microbial, and to some extent anti-bacterial. Fungus (trichoderma etc, not myco) has a terrible time attaching and forming hyphae in coco coir. Its one of the reasons its reusable is that unlike peat which is a brothel for fungus coir pith actually prevents it from forming. Fungus eat carbon, and tend to attach them selves to what they eat. Which is what peat and coco are, carbon, but coco's cellular structure prevents its growth. The full effect of how this works is still being investigated at the university level. However, "good" bacteria have a much better time using it as a base for colonizing, but it is not their food source as bacteria prefer sugars.

Just some food for thought.

remember the basics about bennies good bacteria keep out bad bacteria. and my sources are Eric Bixa of hydroponic secrets,and Remo of urban grower they both work for a major nutrient co. and also works for health canada working on grow rooms for the few med patients they have. and in every description add for bennies and coco choir.

However, "good" bacteria have a much better time using it as a base for colonizing, but it is not their food source as bacteria prefer sugars.

The bacteria in "MY" mind is ONE of the keys for "Out of Ordinary" AND into the "Extraordinary" results... As there are many types/forms of good beneficial bacteria.--- There's much marketing regarding bacteria... It's probably only going to get more attention in the years to come.

Most plants thrive with beneficial bacterias... Bigger tomatoes with more taste-- Large corn Stalks, Giant Pumpkins... Etc.

One thing to keep in mind is that these are little creatures which can be killed off when certain ferts are applied... So when ya begin to drop BIG PHOSPHOROUS bombs to increase flower size your most likely killing off millions of beneficial bacterial entities.-- Maybe that phosphorous helps with harvest QTY. OR maybe it does not?-- Hard to say as there are many factors.

Colonizing this bacteria in your grow medium is crucial and keeping them happy during the growth cycle is key as well. (I think there AWESOME for Veg when the "highways" are being developed for fert transfer to your flowers = "Larger highways for BIGGER flowers".)

BUT don't be fooled into thinking bacteria is the end all.... AS many other crucial factors must be in play in order to achieve maximum results with your grow.

*Bacteria: Basically cares for roots and helps increase fert absorption for maximum growth potential.

Yes, I find the bacteria pretty interesting.--- AND the info I present is from experience with many forms of plants.

remember the basics about bennies good bacteria keep out bad bacteria. and my sources are Eric Bixa of hydroponic secrets,and Remo of urban grower they both work for a major nutrient co. and also works for health canada working on grow rooms for the few med patients they have. and in every description add for bennies and coco choir.

I'd trust sources from AN about as much as I trust our own government. They are salesman and have you sold.

The bacteria in "MY" mind is ONE of the keys for "Out of Ordinary" AND into the "Extraordinary" results... As there are many types/forms of good beneficial bacteria.--- There's much marketing regarding bacteria... It's probably only going to get more attention in the years to come.

Most plants thrive with beneficial bacterias... Bigger tomatoes with more taste-- Large corn Stalks, Giant Pumpkins... Etc.

One thing to keep in mind is that these are little creatures which can be killed off when certain ferts are applied... So when ya begin to drop BIG PHOSPHOROUS bombs to increase flower size your most likely killing off millions of beneficial bacterial entities.-- Maybe that phosphorous helps with harvest QTY. OR maybe it does not?-- Hard to say as there are many factors.

Colonizing this bacteria in your grow medium is crucial and keeping them happy during the growth cycle is key as well. (I think there AWESOME for Veg when the "highways" are being developed for fert transfer to your flowers = "Larger highways for BIGGER flowers".)

BUT don't be fooled into thinking bacteria is the end all.... AS many other crucial factors must be in play in order to achieve maximum results with your grow.

*Bacteria: Basically cares for roots and helps increase fert absorption for maximum growth potential.

Yes, I find the bacteria pretty interesting.--- AND the info I present is from experience with many forms of plants.

I agree I'm sorry I assumed that everyone feeds their bennies my myan microsyme came with instructions to feed them molasses and let brew with the natural nutrients I got from them. yes more than one company sold me. and what other companies make nutrients for pot. A.N., HOUSE&GARDEN,HUMBOLDT and the later is only rumered to test on canabis. At least A.N. comes right out and tells the world they make nutes for weed.

I agree I'm sorry I assumed that everyone feeds their bennies my myan microsyme came with instructions to feed them molasses and let brew with the natural nutrients I got from them. yes more than one company sold me. and what other companies make nutrients for pot. A.N., HOUSE&GARDEN,HUMBOLDT and the later is only rumered to test on canabis. At least A.N. comes right out and tells the world they make nutes for weed.

That was true of AN up until about 5 years ago when they wanted to move into the USA. Their official stance is they do not support medical marijuana in the United States. Other wise they would not have been able to sell the products here.

Archived