Gone To Pot And Gettin Dirty

well folks for the longest time now i've been growin'in Hempy Buckets and lovin'it....it is no doubt the easiest way i've found to grow great meds...but have found that the smell of the finished meds just wasn't right as compared to folks growing the same clones in dirt,,now you don't get high from the smell and the thc content of my meds is right up there with the best,but lacks the flavor we all like,,,,so i'm running a batch in soil,,what a drag,messy,never knowing just what the nurt.levels are at,heavy moving pots,etc...well my hats off to all the dirt growers out there and long may their buds grow, but for me,this maybe my last dirt grow.....i just don't know if its worth the hassle for smell...maybe when i can taste the new stuff my mind will change but for now it just seems a mess and i've even thought about scraping the whole project and climbing back into my buckets,lol..sorry,i'm feeling a little frustrated i guess i just had to vent a little,,lol,,...bp

IMO it isnt any harder than taking care of a houseplant except for the fact your ph has to be nuts on or the plant goes to hell. I have a plant i am scrapping tomorrow because she got so deficient using the wrong ph. She has leaves on the ends of each branch and thats all.

Right now, for nearly everyone, dirt or water is just a mattter of personal preference. When the market for meds gets super-competitive and buyers, having a smorgasboard of 100 strains to choose from (Amsterdam, Vancouver, and to some very small extent, California--think Harborside), better smell and more taste are the difference between 'sale' or 'no sale'.

Before you scrap the project all together, finish out your dirt grow and give 'Coco' a try once. Closest you can get to pure hydro while still getting the benefit of a 'buffer zone' like dirt gives. Coco is totally inert, wayyy less messy, no crazy mixing of 10 different things, just good ole' coco straight out the bag. I use Canna Coco, it doesn't need to be pre-washed, and no matter how dense the root zone gets it never chokes out your roots like dirt either, I'll never go back to dirt.

dirt is easy really. it self buffers PH, as long as the PH count isnt fully fudged when you use it.

for dirt, you can allow your ph to varry a bit. the dirt (not soiless, but real DIRT, ocean forest, happyfrog, Moo Dirt ect) will help fluxing PH a bit.

the reactions to new things is a bit slower in dirt compared to hydro, things happen FAST in hydro.

yes its a bit messy, a bit more work getting started, but once going, its not to bad, just different...

fwiw. i have had some very dank smelling hydro. It makes me wonder if its not the grow where your losing the good smells but the dry and cure doing it.

"fwiw. i have had some very dank smelling hydro. It makes me wonder if its not the grow where your losing the good smells but the dry and cure doing it."

Timmah- I was thinking the same exact thing. Most the times when I've helped someone out when they say thier meds lack that smell and taste your looking for was from needing just a little guidance in the dry/cure process. IMO, its the make or break point to get your smell. You can have the dankest stuff fresh off the stalk then 3 weeks later have meds that smell like cardboard simply because the dry/cure process needed to be done a little different.

Archived