Compassion Clubs

Raven83

I'm a new legal medical marijuana patient here in Michigan and when I first signed up I did not choose to have another person as my caregiver. I was thinking about going to either PureWest out in Holland or The Karmacy in Springfield to buy my medication. Just recently my co-worker who is also a medical marijuana user and has a caregiver told me to be careful of these places because they are selling marijuana like a dispensary and he said dispensaries have been made illegal. I'm just curious what the main difference is between these places and a designated caregiver and a dispensary? Are these places in fact safe or can I get in trouble with the law if they happen to catch me walking out of these places after i bought some medicine? Sorry for being uninformed, this is still all new to me. Thank you.

a dispensary is a 3rd party entitity/store. the CoA ruling said transferring medical cannabis via a 3rd party like a dispensary is a sale, thus illegal per the PCH (Public Health Code). Compassion Clubs are Much different. TRUE Compassion Clubs offer No Medicine, they are Group meetings to discuss the Act, the Law, education of public and membership on how to grow safe and quality medicine ect.....

Some Compassion Clubs offer a closed meeting where Members can legally transfer meds between them selves. This is NOT a dispensary in any notion, as it is the Members directly working with other members, all of whom are authorized MMMP registrants. Farmers Markets like the one in Jackson are also setup like this, thus all transfers are done between Registered and Authorized Patients. There are dispensaries that DO remain open in the State. It varies by area.

So long as you are transferring directly with another registered card holder, and not transferring more than allowed per Card Count (CG Cards) and as defined in the Act, imo, you are complying with the provisions set forth in the 08 MMM Act, and not doing anything illegal.

I would say your coworker means very well, but is somewhat miss informed on how the recent rulings have changed the Act. Which is to say they have not Changed the Act at all... though not from lack of effort.

I suggest you take a few hrs, go and read thru the Act as it is currenly in place on the Michigan Law Books, and get familiar with it. If you have further questions, please come back and ask them.... You are bound to get a variety of answers, but if you have read and understand the scope of the Act then you can further understand exactly what the recent rulings are, and how the effect the Act, or more to the point, point out what the Act Allows and Doesn't allow.

in short - Timmah means that a patient can legally acquire from anyone, but the person who sells it (only a CG can legally be compensated for the sale, P2P is in question at this time) does not have legal protection.

Cops have pulled people over leaving dispensaries - they admitted they did so in Chesterfield's Big Daddy dispensary. They did not arrest the people as long as they had patient amounts, but they did question them.

The MMMP card does not always prevent an arrest or detainment, it does provide a defense in court.

Make sure you travel with your paperwork/card, and keep your stuff in a airtight briefcase in the trunk. You can be charged with DUID if the officer believes you used marijuana recently or while driving. You are protected against DUID only if the THC has degraded in your body to metabolites of the drug. Never tell an officer when you last you used - "My medical conditions and medications are personal and private, it is between my doctor and I."

You should find a club, it can offer more social events and education than a dispensary.

DN

if I understand what your saying CleanD, It would seem that old Club Patch so to speak was meant to help keep you and those in that club safe.

nah... i was just making fun of my clothes from the 80's... it was a morning buzz for me... lol. i actually quite like the idea of a social club for medical patients, on pseudo-private grounds, where essentially we could be & do as we please, within reason. i do like the idea of that indeed. peace brother. ;-)

Archived