Bonafide Relationship

I went in two weeks ago to get my re-certification from the same clinic that I had my original cert at. I had to fill out a very extensive medical history form and then I met with the Doctor. He proceeded to weigh me, take my blood pressure, and did a physical examination. It took a total of a little over an hour.

So the past few days I have not been feeling well at all and I decided to go to an after hours clinic and get checked out. I filled out a very short medical history and was first seen by a nurse aid who weighed me and took my blood pressure. Shortly afterwards the Nurse practitioner came in and asked what was wrong. Turns out I have strep and the flu. So she writes me a script for some antibiotics, an anti nausea and then I ask her to give me something to help me sleep since I have had very little sleep the past three day. My wife was with me and she said maybe some Motrin 800mg would do. But instead she writes me a script for vicodin. I had not met this lady before and saw her for less than five minutes and walked out with a script for Vicodin!!!!!!! I didnt have my name sent on to a state police registry, I didn't have to let them know where I am keeping the vicodin,I didn't have to agree to a warrantless search and my primary doctor was not notified. Can you smell the stench of hypocrisy???? I sure can.

I have already written my rep and told him of this and asked for a face to face meeting to discuss the proposed changes to our law. I hope you all do the same.

mrgreengene

Now see, where I live, I go into the ER in our town when I have a Fibromyalgia flare and upon intake, the second I say the word "pain" the nurse LOUDLY announces that they do not give out prescriptions for viconin. At that point I LOUDLY announce that I am not looking for a narcotic. I love how carefully they follow the HIPPA laws up here. When I go in for help I am only after a Torridal injection (which is non-narcotic). Now, to avoid the embarassment of having that kind of announcement made to a waiting room full of my neighbors (I live in a small town up north), I travel a half hour away to a hospital in another town where they are very polite and actually listen to what you came in for. With any luck at all the next time I have a bad flare, now that I am using our wonderful, magical plant, I won't have to take any more trips to any ER! :) :)

Now, when I lived down state that was an entirely different story. Every time I went to an ER or a doctor apt. they were throwing a different medication at me. When I moved up here I was on 15 different medications DAILY to control my RA and Fibro. After a couple of months of seeing my new Rheumatologist he had me down to six. Oh, and apparently I was lucky that a couple of the med cominations I was on could have killed me (acording to what my Rheumatologist told me). Nice huh?! It's all about the money my friends.

I went in two weeks ago to get my re-certification from the same clinic that I had my original cert at. I had to fill out a very extensive medical history form and then I met with the Doctor. He proceeded to weigh me, take my blood pressure, and did a physical examination. It took a total of a little over an hour.

So the past few days I have not been feeling well at all and I decided to go to an after hours clinic and get checked out. I filled out a very short medical history and was first seen by a nurse aid who weighed me and took my blood pressure. Shortly afterwards the Nurse practitioner came in and asked what was wrong. Turns out I have strep and the flu. So she writes me a script for some antibiotics, an anti nausea and then I ask her to give me something to help me sleep since I have had very little sleep the past three day. My wife was with me and she said maybe some Motrin 800mg would do. But instead she writes me a script for vicodin. I had not met this lady before and saw her for less than five minutes and walked out with a script for Vicodin!!!!!!! I didnt have my name sent on to a state police registry, I didn't have to let them know where I am keeping the vicodin,I didn't have to agree to a warrantless search and my primary doctor was not notified. Can you smell the stench of hypocrisy???? I sure can.

I have already written my rep and told him of this and asked for a face to face meeting to discuss the proposed changes to our law. I hope you all do the same.

mrgreengene

If your story doesn't open some eyes, nothing will.

I'm amazed that you could even get vicoden. In my town, no new patient can get vicoden, no matter how much pain they're in. No one is accepting new pain patients. It's so bad here that I have a friend with chronic, severe pain who has to buy it on the black market, which is expensive, unreliable, and dangerous. In one place you can get it even when you don't need it, in another you can't get it no matter how much you do need it. Go figure.

If your story doesn't open some eyes, nothing will.

I'm amazed that you could even get vicoden. In my town, no new patient can get vicoden, no matter how much pain they're in. No one is accepting new pain patients. It's so bad here that I have a friend with chronic, severe pain who has to buy it on the black market, which is expensive, unreliable, and dangerous. In one place you can get it even when you don't need it, in another you can't get it no matter how much you do need it. Go figure.

I don't know how were going to do it but hopefully patients will organize together to stop this abuse . It is abuse . Patients should have protection to the required access for life of dependent medications if they have been prescribed for over a year as well as voluntary affordable and comfortable detoxification plans when needed where patient comfort is the main focus . There should be no waits to get into programs . No patient suffering from injury, disease or medication effects should ever be ignored . It has been very upsetting to hear of people being arrested then dieing because their medication routines were altered usually with cold turkey off prescription medications . You can find these deaths in every jail yet they never are reported to the public ! What I find even more upsetting is when families don't even question these deaths often feeling like their loved ones deserved to die because of their drug behavior . With love and support every person can detox safely with reasonable comfort if people listen and take their words seriously . It is our system based on criminality that is causing a majority of the problems . Replace it with maintenance programs under Doctors care for addicts that come forward and proper treatment for patients as discussed . Keep people working and stable . Being dependent on medications is horrendous nobody is going to live like that unless they have to .

Archived