Need Shopping Advice For Optics

As a patient, I'm more interested in checking for bugs, feces, mold, and mildew rather than trichome color. Maybe I should be more interested in trichs and maybe it is a moot point (don't know how large they are relative to the other stuff). I'm wondering if there is a minimum magnification level that is desired for looking at that stuff. It seems that generally the less the magnification, the lower the price of the scope. Would 5x be sufficient to see that stuff? Or do I need to get up to 60x? Higher?

Also, the USB scopes... do those only work while it is plugged into a PC?... or can you use it like a handheld on its own?

The usb ones need to be plugged into a laptop. The lab I use said I could find a dissection scope for about $100. They let you see the specimen in 3D and the scope was really nice. I don't know how much you plan on spending but you can get a hand held one for 20 bucks, and that's about what its worth. The usb ones are kinda cool to look at and save the pics, but they are a chore to set up and use in comparison with a handheld. I prefer at least 40x, but I have a buddy that uses a 10x loupe successfully.

The usb ones need to be plugged into a laptop. The lab I use said I could find a dissection scope for about $100. They let you see the specimen in 3D and the scope was really nice. I don't know how much you plan on spending but you can get a hand held one for 20 bucks, and that's about what its worth. The usb ones are kinda cool to look at and save the pics, but they are a chore to set up and use in comparison with a handheld. I prefer at least 40x, but I have a buddy that uses a 10x loupe successfully.

A Dissection scope is what they use in labs to look at slides right?

Re: $20 hand-held scope - we have one and it has a very small field of view - it's better than nothing when you're on a budget but now I'm hoping to upgrade at the earliest possible time.

Now I'm leaning towards the handheld type as opposed to the USB or dissection ones. I'd prefer to not spend over $20 if that's possible. I see one for $26.95 on a 420 site. It has 60-100x magnification.

Is 60-100x sufficient to check meds for unwanted stuff?

Loupes are great for checking bugs, and some structures like early flower/trich development. However the cheap ones max out at 30x. Funny thing about trichome glands is they contain water, resin, and some tissue, all of these refract light. In my experience any thing less than 60x and you'll have too much refraction, which makes the trichs look milky, when they could be clear or starting to go amber.

The hand held cheapies will suffice if you are on a budget, but with a tiny field of view, and a tiny eye relief they quickly become a pain in the neck (literally). You'll find your self just cutting finger leaves or small portions of buds to set down at a table to view. Then you'll go, "Man I should of just got a USB scope!".

If you want a bit more flexibility from the USB scopes get your self a USB extension cable like this one its 32feet! You still have to keep site of your lap top screen, or have a buddy telling you to focus in/out, but hey its the best in between I've come up with.

snip...

If you want a bit more flexibility from the USB scopes get your self a USB extension cable like this one its 32feet! You still have to keep site of your lap top screen, or have a buddy telling you to focus in/out, but hey its the best in between I've come up with.

The longest one Monoprice has is 15 feet, but it's $1.89. Here it is.

Monoprice is a great place for cables, adapters, switches, etc...

z

We use a Dino-Lite scope here in our lab and have been very happy with it so far. There are many models available depending upon how many megapixels you'd like to be able to capture as well as which version of the software that you'd like. Also, having a stand that allows fine tuning is important to get crystal clear close up shots. For more information, visit: http://dino-lite.com/

I use the same one, only 60X. also, I always look for the "free shipping" on china items. otherwise they will double the price!!

Archived