Ladybugs

Kingdiamond

For the last month Ive been finding stragglers from my major mite infestation in November at first i used azamax which killed the majority i must have missed a egg or two since my gardens inside my home 8 feet from where I'm typing now I'm wanting to go natural and use predatory bugs to wipe out the Borg once and for all or at least for now . :mellow:

Anyone know of shops selling ladybugs ? :unsure:

Harry's had them before they moved out of their garden center. I haven't been to the new location but it's just down the street in Hazel Park just south of the race park on Dequindre.

Superior used to carry predatory nematodes so they might have ladybugs as well.

Edited by jayt

Harry's had them before they moved out of their garden center. I haven't been to the new location but it's just down the street Hazel Park.

Superior used to carry predatory nematodes so they might have ladybugs as well.

Whats the word on using ladybugs can they be used during flower or just veg?

I would rather use ladybugs than spray in flower. Everyone I know who has tried them didn't get the results they wanted. They ended up getting killed in an exhaust fan or on the lights. If they keep the mites away the worst problem you could have would be picking a dead ladybug out of the flowers.

I was going to release these one time as a precaution. But I decided just to keep up the regular spraying of neem oil while in veg. I have been fortunate enough not to have mites get in to my garden yet, knock on wood.

Like others have said, be prepared for the new borg if you get 5k and drop em at once. Better to release 10-50 at a time.

I finally was able to get some to "roost" in my garden a few years back. The population began to mock me and farm the darn mites. Was really frickin cool to watch a lady bug grab a mite egg and take it to a stash of others. Weird stuff, but ultimately ineffective.

Neem, neem, and more neem until most outward symptoms are gone. Then neem again >.>

EDIT: Forgot my original intent was to tell you Northern Lights at 12 and Campbell have em in stock usually.

Edited by CaffeineForAll

I'm with Caffieneforall on this one. Lady bugs are effective but the odds of them erraticating your problem is slim to zero. You have to be vigilant with continued treatments of Azamax (or whatever you use). Even if you dont 'think' you have mites anymore, continue treatments (because you probably do unless you totally shut down, cleaned and restarted months later). I treat my garden once every 3 weeks.....regardless. Each plant is individually removed from the garden, taken to a spray booth I made up, sprayed down with fine water mist to 'blast off' initial possible critters hanging out then finished with a full blast of azamax from my atomizer over the entire plant. A tedious process that takes me almost a full 8 hours once a month. Worth it?...of course!

I'm with Caffieneforall on this one. Lady bugs are effective but the odds of them erraticating your problem is slim to zero. You have to be vigilant with continued treatments of Azamax (or whatever you use). Even if you dont 'think' you have mites anymore, continue treatments (because you probably do unless you totally shut down, cleaned and restarted months later). I treat my garden once every 3 weeks.....regardless. Each plant is individually removed from the garden, taken to a spray booth I made up, sprayed down with fine water mist to 'blast off' initial possible critters hanging out then finished with a full blast of azamax from my atomizer over the entire plant. A tedious process that takes me almost a full 8 hours once a month. Worth it?...of course!

This is what ive been doing as this is my 2nd treatment since i saw them back in my garden i thought i had them gone for good but no luck . :growl:

This is what ive been doing as this is my 2nd treatment since i saw them back in my garden i thought i had them gone for good but no luck . :growl:

They will never be gone for good, unless you adopt some crazy laboratory SOP's from the CDC.

I was wearing scrubs with booties and a mask, still managed to get a re-infestation.

Keep up the preventative measures and you'll be less likely to have a serious problem.

My method is posted some where around here. Basically, once a week with neem and coco-wet. Not recommended for women who are or may become pregnant or nursing. Keeps them fairly well controlled, if a spot spreads, then I'll hit em every other day with neem/coco and on the opposing days with a warm water rinse, followed by cold water. Keeps the residue down and the stomata clear.

Check this page out KD.

http://homeharvest.com/beneins.htm

Thanks guys one of the reason i love this site is all the knowledgeable people always willing to listen and lend a hand thank you all. :bow:

Mezz have you used any of these predatory insects to address a mite infestation?

The triple threat looks formidable i think im going into the 7 mile store tommorow and pick some up. :sword:

Thanks guys one of the reason i love this site is all the knowledgeable people always willing to listen and lend a hand thank you all. :bow:

Mezz have you used any of these predatory insects to address a mite infestation?

The triple threat looks formidable i think im going into the 7 mile store tommorow and pick some up. :sword:

Have not used any yet.

Any tips on what to do to get this nasty beast off my girls? :(

If you go with predatory mites, make sure its a SMALL problem. Which it sounds like you have.

Even at 1:20 ratios it can be really hard to get them going to wipe out your problem, then it can get expensive/messy.

I'd say it works better than lady bugs, but you still have dead and decaying animal matter every where. Make sure to give em a water rinse a few times before harvest.

If you go with predatory mites, make sure its a SMALL problem. Which it sounds like you have.

Even at 1:20 ratios it can be really hard to get them going to wipe out your problem, then it can get expensive/messy.

I'd say it works better than lady bugs, but you still have dead and decaying animal matter every where. Make sure to give em a water rinse a few times before harvest.

Well its just a few here and there at the moment nothing like before my main concern is the eggs im hoping they eat the majority of them up too as for the dead bugs i have a foiler sprayer to give them a car wash after the infestation dies down. :thumbsu:

• 5 months later...