Spidermites From A Cc Member

Irishgreen

Hello,

I just wanted to post a friendly Public Service Announcement.

If you are transferring genetics to another patient or caregiver. And, you KNOW you have treated plants for ANY kind of Issue, IE spider mites, mold etc.

It would be the proper thing to INFORM the person you are passing it on to. And inform them of the methods you used to treat.

The person picking them up was given 2 plants, was told to "not let them touch" WTF? And, that they "always put a barrier of sticky stuff to prevent bugs" Huh?

Upon receiving the plants they immediately went into quarantine. Upon watering them, we noticed this "sticky stuff" was not only at the base of the plant, but

also at every first inter node. The plant was also trimmed extremely heavily. And, we found 2 black bugs.

If I were a first time grower, this would have been devastating. They would not have known to look for these things.

As a COMPASSION CLUB member, I expect FULL disclosure!

We have things taken care of, but.....after a summer of battling mold, and then white flies...Spider mites would have been the last straw.

I will probably NEVER venture from my safe haven again..........Thanks for the reminder!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I just wanted to post a friendly Public Service Announcement.

If you are transferring genetics to another patient or caregiver. And, you KNOW you have treated plants for ANY kind of Issue, IE spider mites, mold etc.

It would be the proper thing to INFORM the person you are passing it on to. And inform them of the methods you used to treat.

The person picking them up was given 2 plants, was told to "not let them touch" WTF? And, that they "always put a barrier of sticky stuff to prevent bugs" Huh?

Upon receiving the plants they immediately went into quarantine. Upon watering them, we noticed this "sticky stuff" was not only at the base of the plant, but

also at every first inter node. The plant was also trimmed extremely heavily. And, we found 2 black bugs.

If I were a first time grower, this would have been devastating. They would not have known to look for these things.

As a COMPASSION CLUB member, I expect FULL disclosure!

We have things taken care of, but.....after a summer of battling mold, and then white flies...Spider mites would have been the last straw.

I will probably NEVER venture from my safe haven again..........Thanks for the reminder!

This is why many growers though time consuming are switching to seed only for transmitting genetics and breeding their own creations or stock to exchange . Everyone works on the honor system and impeccable written records of lineage back to breeder stock should be kept with all seed for reference and guidance on medical application . Seeds are not counted in weight limits and by now I hope everyone knows how I feel about weight limits being a abusive item which is used to arbitrarily arrest patients struggling to follow the act . Who would demand a apple farmer grow only 2.5 bushels of apples on a tree or go to jail ? By the time your wet meds end up in court they could be cured ? This is why after years of court cases many people understand old school ways of enforcement by weight should not apply to legal growers . It is not enforceable nor can individuals easily comply in absolute terms at grow sites only when transporting but enforcement often denies common sense . It is a terrible struggle to have a sufficient non interupted supply within the current rules for many patients . Especially when many patients often have many dysfunctional periods throughout the year .

Edited by Croppled1

Clones can be free from pests. It is buyer beware. The Jackson market and the MOCC events we try to screen plants, but one should always act as if they had pest.

The warning signs were there "Don't touch", heavily trimmed, sitcky stuff at the base. Sounds like someone grew clones for quanity, not quality.

At a farmer's market - anyone can sit at the table with basic criteria, even beginners. It was not the grower's skill level, but the grower's intent to mass produce clones for profit. Avoid those kinds.

I would still trade in clones, because now I know how to treat for pest. It is almost a rite of passage for a grower to experience. But it does not have to be the norm.

It was certainly unprofessional and rude for the seller not to inform you of pest issues, i guess they wanted your $ and didn't care for repeat business.

DN

If I had seen them first hand, I would NOT have touched them. I was expecting clones, but got large, ready to go into bloom plants.

At that point, I just put them into quarantine. I totally realize it is buyer beware, hence the total push to quarantine all new plants.

HOWEVER, I feel as compassionate people, these things should be disclosed. Especially since they must have been recently treated.

A simple heads up, is all I ask. However, since that was NOT extended. I assume, as you do DN, They were trying to make a quick buck.

This was NOT at a farmers market. It was a personal thing. However, this person claims to represent a CC. Their "name" infers that they are "All Natural" I

would expect better from someone like that.

And, Croppled. We just said the EXACT same thing......Seeds from NOW on! :-)

I think they got a pretty good hold of them, what is there of the plant looks to be healthy. (Other than the couple leaves we pulled off) Been inspecting the

leaves with a loupe. Things look clear......BUT 3 week quarantine for SURE! :thumbsu:

Gonna nurse her back to health. (hopefully) I just would have liked a heads up.

disclosure is grand.....and ive been in ur boat a few times....but heres the best thing to do in my op.....no matter what treat it like its got the plague... treat it, keep it separate. even full disclosure will not protect you from the inevitable unknown free rider... a good quarantine will. I understand your anger, and your correct to feel as such.....but my suggestion will work even with no disclosure. ive learned i can count on myself to do what is right.... :notfair:

disclosure is grand.....and ive been in ur boat a few times....but heres the best thing to do in my op.....no matter what treat it like its got the plague... treat it, keep it separate. even full disclosure will not protect you from the inevitable unknown free rider... a good quarantine will. I understand your anger, and your correct to feel as such.....but my suggestion will work even with no disclosure. ive learned i can count on myself to do what is right.... :notfair:

BTW - Irishgreen has a good point in all this - There has to be disclosure. This is not a grower's forum - experienced growers that just have to deal with ups and downs of growing. The real issue is for a 'medical marijuana program' - for weak and sick patients that NEED medicine- they got screwed bad. I cannot tell you how many horror stories (over the years since 2009, nothing changed) of patients that joined the MMMP, were blessed by a positive experience with using MM, and like many of us - needed medicine at a reasonable cost. So they did the right thing and learned how to grow for themselves - just like the law intended. They maybe joined a local club or even drove far to get to one, they built a grow room, purchased the best gear as advised by growers, read books, and finally went out and got clones. And got SCREWED. That patient will suffer for weeks, and months - in an attempt to gain any medicine from their grow. After all they blew all their money on the grow gear. And the electric bill is counting. By 3 months, money pisssed away on chemicals - they harvest a weak, holey, shotgunned plant, still infested.

For a critical time in a patient or caregiver's life - trying to support themselves or another patient, failure can change that person's outlook, their morale.

So, to sell someone a diseased plant without warning (for what $30??) to sell a patient or CG a jar of bad medicine - you are effecting the mental status of a sick and disabled person. Hope can become despair again, Light can become Darkness again - because of one careless, greedy act.

Yea, its a big deal. Irishgreen is right (she is a progro so she can fight this pest problem) the real story is someone could have potentially screwed someone else. I do not see any good intentions or 'hey it happens' from the seller, the seller knew the plant had issues. I suppose it is a different story when you buy from a new grower who admits "Hey I am new at this..."

DN

BTW - Irishgreen has a good point in all this - There has to be disclosure. This is not a grower's forum - experienced growers that just have to deal with ups and downs of growing. The real issue is for a 'medical marijuana program' - for weak and sick patients that NEED medicine- they got screwed bad. I cannot tell you how many horror stories (over the years since 2009, nothing changed) of patients that joined the MMMP, were blessed by a positive experience with using MM, and like many of us - needed medicine at a reasonable cost. So they did the right thing and learned how to grow for themselves - just like the law intended. They maybe joined a local club or even drove far to get to one, they built a grow room, purchased the best gear as advised by growers, read books, and finally went out and got clones. And got SCREWED. That patient will suffer for weeks, and months - in an attempt to gain any medicine from their grow. After all they blew all their money on the grow gear. And the electric bill is counting. By 3 months, money pisssed away on chemicals - they harvest a weak, holey, shotgunned plant, still infested.

For a critical time in a patient or caregiver's life - trying to support themselves or another patient, failure can change that person's outlook, their morale.

So, to sell someone a diseased plant without warning (for what $30??) to sell a patient or CG a jar of bad medicine - you are effecting the mental status of a sick and disabled person. Hope can become despair again, Light can become Darkness again - because of one careless, greedy act.

Yea, its a big deal. Irishgreen is right (she is a progro so she can fight this pest problem) the real story is someone could have potentially screwed someone else. I do not see any good intentions or 'hey it happens' from the seller, the seller knew the plant had issues. I suppose it is a different story when you buy from a new grower who admits "Hey I am new at this..."

DN

Ok im not sure why you quoted me.....? But yes as i stated disclosure is fine, its grand even. We can sit here all day wishing all people were honest.... or you can do as i suggested and quarantine every plant even the ones from the Jackson farmers markets.....as you can scope plants all you want, but you cant scope the grower walking around with mites on him. My point, that i think you didnt get, was no matter what you should quarantine any new genetics you bring in your house, as even full disclosure doesn't assure you a pest free clone.

Truth.

Ok im not sure why you quoted me.....? But yes as i stated disclosure is fine, its grand even. We can sit here all day wishing all people were honest.... or you can do as i suggested and quarantine every plant even the ones from the Jackson farmers markets.....as you can scope plants all you want, but you cant scope the grower walking around with mites on him. My point, that i think you didnt get, was no matter what you should quarantine any new genetics you bring in your house, as even full disclosure doesn't assure you a pest free clone.

The guys at the MOCC were very vigilante today from what I witnessed. However, I would have liked to see vendors keep their clones in a cage. One vendor did. This prevents us as pt/cg from rubbing up on them and possibly depositing something in the garden.

I'm not saying any one has mites, for instance I went to the zoo on Sunday (It was gorgeous), and we went through the reptile house and out into the green house. Holy egg laying creaturezoids Batman! They had some weird tropical ants, that looked like mealy bugs (scale) and were shooting honey dew every where. I probably noticed 5 different problematic insects/diseases in that place.  Needless to say I felt like I had to bathe in bleach for an hour after leaving. My point being you can pick up bad crap from ANY where. Places you wouldn't even think.

Like everyone has said, quarantine them, treat them as if they are infected, and you should be good.

I fully agree with disclosure if there is or has been a problem. I'd rather know up front, what I could be dealing with (We expect that with flowering time/aroma/appearance/etc right?). I've always tried to take back ANY infected plant/clone I gave to someone. Wether it was my doing or not, doesn't matter. I'd rather deal with the problem than have them struggle and possibly ruin other plants in the garden. Luckily I haven't had to do that often, but still it has happened.

Good education is the ultimate remedy, we need to educate people on all aspects of plant pests/diseases so infections can be targeted early, then treated for safely and properly.</p>

You guys need to really think about this stuff a bit....

After I come home from ANY event, other persons grow, etc....

I walk in my front door, and drop my clothes. Then they go in the wash immediately.

Jump in the shower. Get out put new clothes on.

Then I vacuum the path I took from the front door to the washing machine then to the shower.

Gotta think....them critters can move.

I have YET to get them and I am on my 3rd year of growing....AND I spent ALL last summer helping a friend get rid of mites in his very large grow.

The ONLY time I got them was when I was first starting and mrd brought over two clones.

They were loaded with mites and I tossed them far out my back deck door.

They did not get close to my plants so they were never affected.

• 2 months later...

Glad to hear that someone is inspecting the stuff coming into the Jackson market. I love that place it is awesome. Spider mites destroyed my whole crop. I bought a clone from a friend who had a obvious problem, didn't say anything and I didn't know enough to ask or look. Had to burn everything and bleach the room.