Childhood Teen Wishing To Donate To Locks Of Love Is Suspended For Violating School’S Hair Policy For Boys J.t. Gaskins Says His Michigan High School

Timmahh

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/30/teen-wishing-to-donate-to-locks-of-love-is-suspended-for-violating-schools-hair-policy-for-boys/

January 30, 2012

Michigan high school student J.T. Gaskins, a leukemia survivor, was recently singled out for perfect behavior. Now he’s suspended, caught up in a face-off with his school, Madison Academy, near Flint, Mich., for violating the dress code for boys as he grows out his locks for a cancer charity.

J.T. was inspired to grow his hair after learning that a friend’s sister had cancer. Once he’s got a 10-inch ponytail, he’ll be able to chop it off and donate the hair to Locks of Love, which makes wigs for people fighting cancer. So far, J.T.’s got just 2½ inches, so he’s got a ways to go. But Madison Academy says rules are rules: J.T. is running afoul of school policy, which calls for boys’ hair to be “off the collar, off the ears and out of the eyes.”

J.T. hopes his charter school’s board will think twice about the wisdom of suspending students motivated by a noble cause. And, for the record, he’s not backing down. “I fought cancer my entire life. I’m going to keep fighting this,” he told the Associated Press. “I’m not going to not give back just because my school says no.”

A petition on Change.org intended to sway the school’s administration and its board members had collected more than 3,100 signatures as of Sunday. It aims to create a “hair donation policy” that would make an exception for charitable reasons. Meanwhile, J.T.’s school suggested that he make liberal use of styling gel or perhaps rock a cornrow style in order to tame his ‘do.

But J.T.’s in no mood to start fussing with his coif. “I’m fine with all of their rules,” Gaskins told the AP. “I just think that with this, they could try to make a compromise.”

Bonnie Rochman is a reporter at TIME. Find her on Twitter at @brochman. You can also continue the discussion on TIME‘s Facebook page and on Twitter at @TIME.

Read other related stories about this:

School Suspends Cancer-Survivor Boy for Growing Hair for Locks of Love msnbc.com

Flint-Area Cancer Survivor's Long hair Leads to School Suspension The Associated Press

Michigan Cancer Survivor's Long Hair Leads to Suspension WDIV-Detroit

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/30/teen-wishing-to-donate-to-locks-of-love-is-suspended-for-violating-schools-hair-policy-for-boys/#ixzz1lmUnjmB2

you know I read this story and at first I was mad too. But then I learned the kid goes to a charter school where they have strict dress codes.I know because my kids went to a charter school. Now parents and kids know what these rules are going in,I know because I read the rules. that being said if the kid wanted to grow his hair out so badly he could have went to a public school or be home-schooled oe wait until summer va-ca. We all have rules to live by,I do at work there is a dress code I HAVE to follow or i lose my job,I choose to drive an hour to work because I smoke cigs and the local hospital 7 miles away doesnt allow their staff to smoke even after hours,yeah it blows I dont know how they are able to pull that one off. We have rules to follow as a cannabis grower. Im glad the kid is okay,and his intentions are good although because of the hair issue it's kinda lost the meaning.IMHO.

peace.

Now let me go put on my armor because I know my opinion is not popular. :sword: lol

Yes it SHOULD be but the school isnt set up like that,so until it is teach the kid we have RULES we HAVE to abide in,whats wrong with that?? My grandson's other grammy lets him have pop anytime he wants,mommy says NO,so other granny thought she would get him tonic water so his juice and milk yes I said milk would have the carbonation that she thinks he likes,and Im like why cant he just LEARN he can only have juice,water or milk?? But she wants to be his friend and not have to teach him he doesnt always get want he wants.

Archived