Wireless Router Issues

I'm using a Linksys E1000 router and up until about three hours ago all was fine but now unable to access web via wireless router with either my lap top or iPod. I've tried password and even reset it but still nothing. I do not have install software CD.

I have reset modem and router even unplugged all from power and modem

Any help would be appreciated. I contacted CISCO customer support but unit is three months out of warranty...go figure...

Thanks...

I'm using a Linksys E1000 router and up until about three hours ago all was fine but now unable to access web via wireless router with either my lap top or iPod. I've tried password and even reset it but still nothing. I do not have install software CD.

I have reset modem and router even unplugged all from power and modem

Any help would be appreciated. I contacted CISCO customer support but unit is three months out of warranty...go figure...

Thanks...

try updating the Firmware on router (too many people forget about this)

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/E1000

once all is updated unplug everything modem router shutdown PC

Turn on modem wait for all to setup , Turn on PC wait for eveything to connect to internet then hook up router....reboot the pc again and see if it connects

Linksys is like the best of the best on routers im running the wireless G wrt54gs and it has been SOLID

You might have to redo the MAC address clone if you did a full reset.

Here is a link to the user guide - http://home.cisco.com/en-us/press/presskit/linksys_e1000

Here is a link for troubleshooting - http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=266cc1c7b97c458fb04c2da21f985828_List_of_Common_Issues_with_Wireless_N_Routers.xml

Good luck :-)

All of the above are decent suggestions...

Have you tried plugging your laptop into one of the Ethernet ports on the router to see if you are able to get online while on a wired connection? If it works while wired, then it is not an Internet Service Provider issue, and the problem is likely with the wireless settings on the router. If it does not work while connected into an Ethernet port, then you most likely have an issue with the ISP or the router hardware.

Plug in your laptop to one of the 4 numbered ports and reboot. Then try the web.

You might try plugging your laptop directly into your modem to see if you can get to the internet. This will remove the router from the equation and let you know if it is your router or your modem or internet service that is down.

Also, do you have any other devices on your network, other PCs or laptops or printers? If so, can you still see them from your laptop? This will also give you an idea if either your router or your modem is bad.

HH

edit to add: Simultaneous post with Ashenfall!

I am hoping its just a simple unplug everything then plug them back in order can make a difference but I forget why my ISP provider always tells me .If your using windows right click on your dual monitor icons in the system tray and select repair connection it can sometimes help . Electronics do break if you need a new one take a look on Amazon I have bought refurbished routers and they work great . They come with a 90 day warranty instead of a year but if they make it they usually last a long time . You save big bucks should be able to get one that runs a gigabit with N under $30 . Having a network instead of using cables is sweet . Streaming video turns a lap top into a tv or stereo . Great gift for a patient along with the help to set it up . It can be frustrating . Read the Amazon reveiws some set themselves up automatically . You just plug everything in start the setup and fill in informationn when asked . I love sitting in my yard or all the way out in the garage and being able to use the lap top .

• 4 weeks later...

Here is your routers support page btw, http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/E1000

Check all cables,check if you accidentally turned off wireless button on lappy (had a friend went 3 weeks before he brought his lappy to me, he had button off, doh), make sure router works with a wired connection. If wired works, check router see if it is seeing out to the internet, to do do so type 192.168.1.1 in your web browser.

At this point you should see your network setting, is wireless turned on?

Another thing you can do if on windows:

click start, type in search cmd

in cmd window type ipconfig /release

It will say internet connection released

then type ipconfig /flushdns

It should say flushed dns (means you told it to erase its ip address, dont worry next step)

type ipconfig /renew

It will say your current ip address and provider of your internet, if your machine has accessed router and modem correctly.

This is the maunal way to fix your ip connection btw.

This is command prompt fix for internet repair, sometimes windows is stubborn and refuses to release, flush, or renew its connection. Ever get one of those annoying windows cant repair internet connection and sits blank with no explanation? This usually fixes it.

If it fails and balks at you with command prompt stating something like windows cant release due to whatever restart machine, it as well resets, just make sure to flush the dns first.

Now this said sometimes internet providers have settings you need to add into the router cause they use static or proxy addresses. In those cases when you reset a router, be sure to check with net provider for what they require in the setting tabs.

I have charter at one house, tds at other, on many occassions I need charter to send a refresh signal to MY modem (I bought my own theirs sucked on dloadng). I lose all net connections. Mostly cause I am at their farthest away service node. But it happens frequently to alot of customers, charter tds whoever. My tds connection runs fine for about a year then it needs a quick call and all is normal again.

try updating the Firmware on router (too many people forget about this)

http://homesupport.c...s/linksys/E1000

once all is updated unplug everything modem router shutdown PC

Turn on modem wait for all to setup , Turn on PC wait for eveything to connect to internet then hook up router....reboot the pc again and see if it connects

Linksys is like the best of the best on routers im running the wireless G wrt54gs and it has been SOLID

Excellent advice Beagle! That is the procedure

Personally I would open IE and type in the routers address and check all of the settings to make sure they match the ones set in my computer.

To access the router you need the routers IP address normally it is something like 192.168.0

a window will open that will ask you for user ID : if not previously set it should be Admin.

then it will ask you for the password : Should be password if not set by you previously.

. Well I didn't see anybody mention that you probably need to go into your modem and an enable the DHCP server or it may say something like radio on or something like that. Most of the wireless routers I've had I have had to go in and turned that on. I am not familiar with your router but I am going to guess and say that it's probably your problem. It may be on the same page in your router as your WEP security settings but almost definitely in the wireless section of the router. If you're still having problems and can't find it let me know and I'll look up the manual for more insight. Good luck

Archived