Nick Diaz Tests Positive For Marijuana At Ufc 143

Nick Diaz's failed bid for the UFC interim welterweight title has been punctuated by a positive test for marijuana.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission said Thursday that the California fighter tested positive for marijuana metabolites at UFC 143. Diaz lost a five-round decision to Carlos (Natural Born Killer) Condit for the interim 170-pound crown last Saturday in Las Vegas.

The Nevada commission says it has filed a complaint for disciplinary action against Diaz. The fighter can then file a response before the commission decides on its sanction.

In 2007, he was suspended for six months and fined US$3,000 (20 per cent of his purse) after testing positive for marijuana at a Pride show in Las Vegas. His win over Takanori Gomi in an all-action brawl was downgraded to a no contest.

This failed drug test may derail plans, at least in the near future, of a Condit-Diaz rematch. Diaz was unhappy at the decision, arguing he had pushed the pace while Condit backpeddled.

Diaz, a talented fighter who has always marched to his own drum, has made no secret of his marijuana use in the past.

In 2009, he told the Los Angeles Times: “I'm more consistent about everything being a cannabis user.”

“I'm happy to get loaded, hear some good music . . . I remain consistent. And I have an easy way to deal with (the drug tests). I can pass a drug test in eight days with herbal cleansers. I drink 10 pounds of water and sweat out 10 pounds of water every day. I'll be fine.”

Marijuana eases problems such as attention deficit disorder he has faced since childhood, he told the newspaper.

The Nevada commission routinely tests for steroids, stimulants and what it calls “drugs of abuse.”

Abuse of alcohol and marijuana can affect the way a fighter handles himself in the ring, the commission argues. So-called social drugs can dull reflexes, reduce skill level and set the scene for a possible mismatch in which a fighter can get hurt.

Diaz, a former Strikeforce and WEC champion, has made his share of headlines outside the cage in recent months.

Due to face Canadian Georges St-Pierre for the welterweight title last October, he was pulled from the fight after failing to show up for media events in Toronto and Las Vegas.

There was speculation he might be dumped from the organization altogether but UFC president Dana White relented and matched him against B.J. Penn instead.

Diaz dominated the former lightweight and welterweight champion and talked his way into another matchup with St-Pierre by disrespecting the Canadian in the cage after having his hand raised against Penn.

A knee injury to St-Pierre derailed that fight and Diaz took on Condit for the interim crown.

An earlier stint in the UFC ended when Diaz refused to play by the rules, according to White, who cited a post-bout altercation with another fighter in a hospital.

Seventeen other fighters on the UFC 143 card were tested. The commission says “all results received thus far have been negative, except Mr. Diaz.”

Diaz's purse for the Condit fight was listed at $200,000.

Hopefully his carreer will not be ruined . Here is a intersting link about a Gold Medalist in the Winter Olympics . He was way to busy to use cannabis for hours before winning the Gold Medal but look at his blood levels 17.8 ng . Most of us will test around 100 . Remember that when they define impaired as well as the fact this man won gold . . Be careful out there many states have been passing 2 and 5 ng blood levels for impairment .Nevada is a tourist State many go too . The Olympian was allowed to keep his medal when he claimed marijuana was not a performance enhancing drug . That exception has since been closed with zero tolerance .

http://ndsn.org/FEB98/mj1.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived