Medical Marijuana Workgroup Skips Dispensary Question

Medical Marijuana Workgroup Skips Dispensary Question

A workgroup tasked with developing recommendations for the House Judiciary Committee on medical marijuana legislation had to set aside the issue of dispensaries because it would lead to "inches" of bill pages, they said today.

Reps. Ken HORN (R-Frankenmuth) and Phil CAVANAGH (D-Redford Twp.) have been meeting with interested parties on medical marijuana issues since last year. There was originally a package of eight bills last summer trying to address the hazy details of the medical marijuana law. That package has been whittled down to four bills, and Horn and Cavanagh made their suggestions for improvements to those today. The committee adopted substitutes on HB 4851, HB 4853, HB 4856 and HB 4834.

On the issue of a distribution network and dispensaries, Committee Chair John WALSH (R-Livonia), Cavanagh and Horn said they agreed that issue would have to wait.

"We don't have enough understanding and consensus to move that forward yet," Walsh said.

Rep. Mark MEADOWS (D-East Lansing) questioned how the decision was made to not make a recommendation yet on dispensing medical marijuana.

"None of the things we could really deal with with the medical marijuana act really dealt with dispensaries," Horn said. "We set that aside knowing we'll have to deal with that on a different day."

Horn said that every time the group started working on the dispensary issue it bloomed out into an entirely separate issue.

Meadows said he thinks the committee should produce some legislation relating to dispensaries as quickly as possible to begin that dialogue.

Horn said a bill on dispensaries and compassion clubs and definitions of dispensing systems could span hundreds of pages and be inches thick.

"It was such an overwhelming task, and we had our hands full with this," Horn said.

Rep. Kurt HEISE (R-Plymouth) issued a call to look into more issues surrounding medical marijuana.

"I'm still very concerned about local control issues, zoning and planning, advertising," Heise said. "I believe this needs to be a highly regulated venture at the business level."

Walsh noted there will be a meeting next week to hear from people the workgroup has been meeting with, and a meeting the week after will be open to public testimony.

"This is a process, I want to underscore that," he said. "We do want to hear from as many people as possible as we move forward."

Kenneth STECKER, with the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan, gave a presentation about the Medical Marijuana Act during today's committee.

He talked about the various challenges in the law presented by portions that have been deemed unclear, and he outlined several of the court cases that have set precedent on certain aspects of the medical marijuana law.

Horn and Cavanagh then talked about how the four-bill package would deal with some of the remaining issues.

The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) is far behind in its efforts to process applications for medical marijuana ID cards. Changes in HB 4834 would require photos on registration cards but also increase the renewal from a one-year to a two-year cycle to reduce the burden on LARA. It also aims for the privatization of department duties.

HB 4851 would address the definition of a bona fide physician-patient relationship. The proposed definition means the physician would have to review relevant medical records, complete an in-person exam, and create and maintain records, among other things.

The bill would also define an enclosed, locked facility as a closet, room, or other comparable, stationary, or fully-enclosed area equipped with functioning security devices; prohibit people from being caregivers if they have drug or violent crime felonies; and establish affirmative defense.

HB 4853 amends the sentencing guidelines. HB 4856 sets rules for the transport of medical marijuana.

Rep. Lisa BROWN (D-West Bloomfield) was one of two committee members to pass on every vote to approve substitutes of the four bills. Rep. Stacey Erwin OAKES (D-Saginaw) also passed on each of the votes.

"Is there a reason we don't want to wait for the courts to decide on these cases?" Brown asked. "Are we in a race?"

Cavanagh and Horn said they feel there are areas of the law that are "screaming out for clarity."

The Senate has also had its eye on medical marijuana issues.

Sen. Rick JONES (R-Grand Ledge) introduced a bill, SB 0977, today to remove glaucoma from the list of qualifying medical conditions to receive a medical marijuana card.

The list currently includes cancer, glaucoma, positive HIV, AIDS, Hepatitis C, Crohn's Disease and agitation of Alzheimer's disease, among others.

"I have met with multiple medical professionals, and not one of them has been able to tell me a benefit of treating glaucoma with medical marijuana," Jones said. "In fact, a large problem is that many patients forgo the use of approved treatments such as eye drops and exclusively use medical marijuana which increases their risk for permanent visual loss and blindness."

The Michigan Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons, the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Glaucoma Society, the American Medical Association and the Michigan State Medical Society, based on the best scientific evidence available, do not support the use of medical marijuana for patients with glaucoma, Jones said.

Bob McCANN, spokesperson for the Senate Democrats, said Jones' bill seems to make it clear that the "will of the people" is not at the top of his priority list.

"Michigan voters sent a very clear message that they wanted medical marijuana to be an option for their personal health treatment, yet despite all of the Republican rhetoric about government being involved in health care, here comes a bill that would have the state take away a treatment option from patients," McCann said. "It's hypocrisy at its finest."

http://www.mirsnews.com/capsule.php?gid=3773#30137

here is the link but it is a private newswire we subcribe to, but you can sign up for a two week trial if you wish to check it out.

Bob McCANN, spokesperson for the Senate Democrats, said Jones' bill seems to make it clear that the "will of the people" is not at the top of his priority list.

"Michigan voters sent a very clear message that they wanted medical marijuana to be an option for their personal health treatment, yet despite all of the Republican rhetoric about government being involved in health care, here comes a bill that would have the state take away a treatment option from patients," McCann said. "It's hypocrisy at its finest."

The article saved the best for last... good closing thought

It amazes me when Republican's are so pro-regulation:

Rep. Kurt HEISE (R-Plymouth) issued a call to look into more issues surrounding medical marijuana.

"I'm still very concerned about local control issues, zoning and planning, advertising," Heise said. "I believe this needs to be a highly regulated venture at the business level."

"Highly regulated", this from the party that thinks all regulations must be eliminated if businesses are going to have any chance of surviving.

From the party that isn't overly concerned about regulating other nasty substances like fracking fluids, mercury, dioxins, etc.

"I have met with multiple medical professionals, and not one of them has been able to tell me a benefit of treating glaucoma with medical marijuana," Jones said. "In fact, a large problem is that many patients forgo the use of approved treatments such as eye drops and exclusively use medical marijuana which increases their risk for permanent visual loss and blindness"

they keep forgetting one little thing... they're my god dam eyes and i will treat my condition the way i see fit, so they can go fuk themselves with their worthless banter!

:growl::lol::lol::growl::lol::lol::growl::lol::lol::growl:

Allot patients use all options available using cannabis does not preclude access to other treatments except from discrimination which is what Legislators should be denouncing . They forget Michigan Voters didn't want patients or their caregivers arrested on the State dime anymore . The last thing we need is more regulation what we need is a relaxation of enforcement and a rebuilding of trust between patients and Law Enforcement focusing on theft and violence . Hopefully legalization will pass and force the issue . However 250 signatures taken properly per current volunteers is a ominous task . Thank you everyone who works on this .

http://www.meetup.co...iganVolunteers/

There are some huge measures coming up in this election like a Local Sales tax bill that would create a 10% sales tax in some areas of the State . Glad I live near 3 county lines .

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Michigan_2012_ballot_measures

Archived