Responce From Levin

nvinson105

:sword:

Dear Mr. @#$%%^^:

Thank you for contacting me about the use of marijuana (cannabis) for medical purposes. Many people feel strongly about this issue, and I appreciate hearing your views.

Proponents of medical marijuana believe it should be available as a medicinal care option for patients, especially those who experience chronic and debilitating pain despite traditional methods of treatment. There exists both scientific and anecdotal evidence that while not effective for all individuals, marijuana can improve the quality of life for certain patients. A number of medical professionals believe that cannabis is not only a safe and effective treatment for a wide range of symptoms, but it also appears to be the best drug available to treat the nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy. Recently, the American Medical Association (AMA) issued a policy statement urging the federal government to review marijuana’s status as a Schedule I controlled substance to “facilitate clinical research and development of cannabinoid-based medications.” In support of this recommendation, AMA’s Council on Science and Public Health stated that marijuana has been shown in short-term controlled trials to have medical benefits.

There are also those who oppose the use of marijuana for medical purposes. Opponents point out that the Food and Drug Administration has approved the use of synthetic tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana. This drug, which comes in a pill form, is used to treat the nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy. Some health care experts believe there is little evidence to suggest that marijuana has any therapeutic superiority over synthetic THC.

In recent years, there have been efforts to adopt ballot initiatives in several states that would allow physicians to prescribe marijuana as a form of medical treatment in certain situations under state law. Several states have adopted such initiatives, including Michigan in 2008. However, on June 6, 2005, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal authorities may prosecute medical marijuana users even if medical marijuana use is permitted under state law. Under the Bush administration, the Department of Justice raided medical marijuana dispensaries that were in violation of federal law, despite their operations being legal under state laws. On March 18, 2009, Attorney General Eric Holder stated that the Department of Justice’s marijuana enforcement policy would be limited to traffickers and fake dispensaries.

On June, 11, 2009, Congressman Barney Frank (D-MA) introduced the Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act (H.R.2835). This bill would transfer marijuana from schedule I to schedule II of the Controlled Substances Act and would allow medical marijuana use under federal law when it is also allowed under state law. H.R.2835 has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce for further consideration. Should this issue come before the full Senate, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Carl Levin

levin.senate.gov

This was my email from Senator Levin

You need to write him back and ask him how he will vote on this issue as your vote depends on his answer. I had this same type email from Sen Stabenow and I fired off a response requiring an answer as to how she would vote. If I don't get an answer, I'll have to think very hard about giving her/him my vote.

You need to write him back and ask him how he will vote on this issue as your vote depends on his answer. I had this same type email from Sen Stabenow and I fired off a response requiring an answer as to how she would vote. If I don't get an answer, I'll have to think very hard about giving her/him my vote.

You better investigate the opposition ....these are your best options if cannabis is your cause .

I was going to ask the same thing, what is his point of view. all he does is dance around the subject and say thank you for your interest. He says nothing about what his opinion is and I'd be quite curious as to what his opinion on the matter is. If you get another response please post it here also.

I was going to ask the same thing, what is his point of view. all he does is dance around the subject and say thank you for your interest. He says nothing about what his opinion is and I'd be quite curious as to what his opinion on the matter is. If you get another response please post it here also.

Career politicians are experts at dancing around a subject and giving pleasant sounding non-answers. His tone seemed positive, but about as non-committal as possible. That's quite a skill they develop.

Agreed

So many words and says really nothing of importance. Yes, quite a skill they develop.

I hear Mr. Levin is personally a good guy and I have no doubt of that, but he and all the other old time career politicos have been in there for far too long. It's about time all the old fence-sitters go back home and maybe take up fishing or needlepoint.

The majority of the old timers will need to take a long hot bath with hopes of washing off some of the shame they've built up through the years. Brillo pads are cheap enough.

Rest assured, Mr. Levin is not in our cannabis parade. I got no votes for any of them old timers. The vote is our Brillo pad. Gonna scrub it all spiffy and clean up in there. Elect some new blood and get some positive stuff done. Tired of the empty promises from the corporate cronies, fence sitters and do-littles.

They say everyone's vote is an equal vote but that's not quite true. If one man's education does not equal another man's education, then one man's vote cannot equal another man's vote. Education is the key.

So, register to vote and make sure you cast your educated vote in all local, state and national elections. One vote does make a difference.

Peace. :rock:

So many words and says really nothing of importance. Yes, quite a skill they develop.

I hear Mr. Levin is personally a good guy and I have no doubt of that, but he and all the other old time career politicos have been in there for far too long. It's about time all the old fence-sitters go back home and maybe take up fishing or needlepoint.

The majority of the old timers will need to take a long hot bath with hopes of washing off some of the shame they've built up through the years. Brillo pads are cheap enough.

Rest assured, Mr. Levin is not in our cannabis parade. I got no votes for any of them old timers. The vote is our Brillo pad. Gonna scrub it all spiffy and clean up in there. Elect some new blood and get some positive stuff done. Tired of the empty promises from the corporate cronies, fence sitters and do-littles.

They say everyone's vote is an equal vote but that's not quite true. If one man's education does not equal another man's education, then one man's vote cannot equal another man's vote. Education is the key.

So, register to vote and make sure you cast your educated vote in all local, state and national elections. One vote does make a difference.

Peace. :rock:

Kevin, I think you make a great point, especially about being an educated voter. Far too many people vote who know absolutely nothing about the issues, and that negates the vote of the educated person. They vote on who is the best speaker, who looks the best, or whoever promises the most goodies. That's not a way to preserve our liberty.

I noticed something recently. Every election we vote for the guy who says he's going to clean up the mess created by the guy currently in office. Then in the next election we vote for the guy who says he's going to clean up the mess created by the guy currently in office. Then in the next election...

Archived