Ann Arbor Pharmer's Co-Op, Hosted By The Thc Compassion Club

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you asked for times during the week, I am glad to announce, starting the 13th the Co-op will be open Tuesday from 3-8PM, please see opening post on this link for more details on location and other times the market is open, enjoy

Edited by Ezrah

It's the hemp center, located in ann arbor. should stay away from calling it the ann arbor farmers market.The center provides a farmers market. The best idea for distribution model for MI.

Go Michiganders! best way for caregivers and patients to meet and obtain medical cannabis. no criminal elements in this model for distribution.

poll: not certain how to post a poll, but will start here:

should MI adopt the market distribution model? Or dispensary distribution model?

I was there yesterday. Nice place, nice selection, nice people. And....I am happy to report that nobody tried to eat me. No cannibals. ;)

yeah IO guess I was the only one wanting to eat peeps, I promise to cut back to just a finger once in a while

• 2 weeks later...

"Actually, Crop the Ann Arbor Medical Marijuana Referendum states that those with a doctor's recommendation shall not be prosecuted. The fine for possession up to an oz for those outside the MMMP is $25 for the first offense with increasing dollar amounts for subsequent offenses. I'm not sure how the co-op membership list would be used against patients since patients are allowed to acquire by any means under the MMMP. "

That is all fine and good, Mezz, unfortunately, this does not keep the State Police nor the Feds from entering into the picture, and they would have no qualms about distributing the names on lists of participants. JMHO ... j.b.

"Actually, Crop the Ann Arbor Medical Marijuana Referendum states that those with a doctor's recommendation shall not be prosecuted. The fine for possession up to an oz for those outside the MMMP is $25 for the first offense with increasing dollar amounts for subsequent offenses. I'm not sure how the co-op membership list would be used against patients since patients are allowed to acquire by any means under the MMMP. "

That is all fine and good, Mezz, unfortunately, this does not keep the State Police nor the Feds from entering into the picture, and they would have no qualms about distributing the names on lists of participants. JMHO ... j.b.

Please note that the city ordinance does not allow local law enforcement to go other law enforcement. In other words if a city of Ann Arbor officer is involved it will stay there. The co-op is a lawful way in which patients can acquire medicine, from caregivers. Patients are checked at the door to make sure they have current cards, caregivers also. I am very conservative and find this to be a safe place for me to help patients, again I encourage people to stop in and ask questions, you do not need to sign up or fill out any paperwork your first visit, if you don't like what you see cool now you know but if you do like I did then you have yet another supportive helpful environment to get help with your meds.

I really hope I am not coming off anything other then helpful that is my intent for sure. But Ann Arbor had laws on the books supporting Medical Marijuana long before the state did, please use this link for more details, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_laws_in_Ann_Arbor,_Michigan

No one location will feel like the perfect fit for everyone, this is a option for those looking for one.

Warm regards,

Edited by Ezrah

It could happen it's true. I don't know in what manner they might distribute patients names, but the threat of State and Federal Law is ever-present it cannot be denied.

Please note that the city ordinance does not allow local law enforcement to go other law enforcement. In other words if a city of Ann Arbor officer is involved it will stay there.

How I wish this was true... :(

Look up the case with TJ Rice. They raided him and referred his case to Brian Mackie, the Washtenaw County prosecutor. He had a recommendation from a doctor. Now he has a felony conviction under state law.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/felony-drug-charges-filed-against-downtown-ann-arbor-medical-marijuana-business-owner/

Fitzpatrick said the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's Office has decided to pursue charges against Rice based on an investigation by the city police department.

Police Chief Barnett Jones told AnnArbor.com in January that Rice was unable to produce paperwork indicating he could legally operate a dispensary when police visited his office last year. Rice acknowledged that he wasn't a state-registered medical marijuana caregiver or patient, but he was still smoking and distributing marijuana.

Rice said he stands behind voter-approved amendments to the city charter in 2004 that allow the use of medical pot — so long as someone has a doctor's note for it.

The charter states: "No Ann Arbor police officer, or his or her agent, shall complain and the city attorney shall not refer for prosecution any complaint, of the possession, control, use, giving away, sale or cultivation of marijuana or cannabis upon proof that the defendant is recommended by a physician, practitioner or other qualified health professional to use or provide the marijuana or cannabis for medical treatment."

A cancer survivor with a degenerative spine who lives on Social Security disability, Rice has more than one doctor's note recommending pot.

But local authorities say state law trumps the city's charter, and Rice is violating the law by not following the guidelines of the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act.

Fire the chief of police NOW! There is no excuse for it not being an elected position!

Edited by purklize

How I wish this was true... :(

Look up the case with TJ Rice. They raided him and referred his case to Brian Mackie, the Washtenaw County prosecutor. He had a recommendation from a doctor. Now he has a felony conviction under state law.

http://www.annarbor....business-owner/

Fire the chief of police NOW!

The AAPD has always reserved the right to refer marijuana cases to the state. If all Mr. Rice had was a recommendation that would be pushing the envelope pretty hard to have a mm dispensary.

Pretty slow but for the first day I have no complaints' actually I had a nice time chatting with the other vendors and even got a sample of mutant lemon cake. Very nice! My pain levels have diminished for sure thank you for that! I encourage people from Ann arbor and around there to check this place out it was a nice setup and the people running the show were very friendly! Thanks again everyone!

The AAPD has always reserved the right to refer marijuana cases to the state. If all Mr. Rice had was a recommendation that would be pushing the envelope pretty hard to have a mm dispensary.

What are their policies then, anyway? I've been unable to ever find a clear answer. All I know is the TJ Rice case, where they blatantly violated the City Charter, and Postema's reaction to the passage of the 2004 MMJ Charter Amendment (he said he would refer all cases to the county prosecutor anyway, and Dan Oates - police chief at the time - said he would disregard it and enforce state mj law as before).

Do they tolerate possession? Do they tolerate sale? Do they tolerate cultivation? What effect does a doctor's note have in Ann Arbor - to what degree will it protect you, what will they let you have/grow? Anything? Are you protected at all if you have a doc's note and no state card?

I really wish they would just respect the City Charter... "I'm just doing my job" my a$-$...

Edited by purklize

What are their policies then, anyway? I've been unable to ever find a clear answer. All I know is the TJ Rice case, where they blatantly violated the City Charter, and Postema's reaction to the passage of the 2004 MMJ Charter Amendment (he said he would refer all cases to the county prosecutor anyway, and Dan Oates - police chief at the time - said he would disregard it and enforce state mj law as before).

Do they tolerate possession? Do they tolerate sale? Do they tolerate cultivation? What effect does a doctor's note have in Ann Arbor - to what degree will it protect you, what will they let you have/grow? Anything? Are you protected at all if you have a doc's note and no state card?

I really wish they would just respect the City Charter... "I'm just doing my job" my a$-$...

Wiki sez:

Medical-marijuana referendum of 2004

On November 2, 2004, voters in Ann Arbor approved the Ann Arbor Medical Marijuana Initiative authored by city resident Rich Birkett. This ballot initiative amended Section 16.2 of the city charter to allow the growing and use of marijuana for medical purposes when authorized by a physician. The measure also capped fines for the third and subsequent offenses for non-medical uses or sale at $100.[20] The measure passed with 74 percent approval among voters.

However, what had been a relatively uncontroversial measure during the election proved controversial following its passage. Shortly after its approval, the Ann Arbor city attorney Steve Postema characterized the initiative as "unenforceable," citing its conflicts with federal and state law. Likewise, city police chief Dan Oates announced that his police force would disregard it and continue normal enforcement practices. Activists who had worked to put the initiative on the ballot quickly expressed their outrage.[21] But since medical-marijuana users in Ann Arbor are very rarely prosecuted, and because the penalty for first-time possession remains a $25 civil-infraction fine, both the 2004 ballot measure itself and Oates's subsequent statements on enforcement may prove to be more symbolic than substantive.

Michigan Medical Marijuana Act of 2008

In November 2008, Michigan voters passed the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.[22] The new state law supports the Ann Arbor City charter by offering protection from state law enforcement for qualifying patients and their assigned primary caregivers under the law that took effect on April 4, 2009. Under the law, a patient with a qualifying condition and a signed statement from an attending physician, can register for an identification card under the Michigan Department of Community Health managed program for legal medical marijuana use in Michigan. After registration, the patient and primary caregiver can legally be in possession of marijuana according to State law. The primary caregiver may provide assistance for using medical marijuana or even be assigned responsibility for cultivating the patient's legally protected maximum of 12 marijuana plants, for a fee.[23]

Even though the legal use of medical marijuana was allowed for in the Ann Arbor City Charter, it was still illegal in the State of Michigan, allowing for arrest from state police and other state law enforcement agencies. With this new protection under the Michigan state law, the only remaining threat to a registered patient or caregiver in Ann Arbor is from the untested nature of the new state law and the acts of the D.E.A and other federal law enforcement agencies.

It could happen it's true. I don't know in what manner they might distribute patients names, but the threat of State and Federal Law is ever-present it cannot be denied.

When someone wants to create a list of patients involving aquisition or medical use it seems there are two factors involved . First a lack of understanding of criminal risks and second a missaplication of revenue gathering against principles for all other medications . I can go with the flow but I will never feel it is right to charge patients for merely seeking their medication . If these clubs have merit on their own they should be more then happy to have the traffic the Markets provide and seperate membership from medicinal access a activity not approved under Federal law like they do in Jackson .

When someone wants to create a list of patients involving aquisition or medical use it seems there are two factors involved . First a lack of understanding of criminal risks and second a missaplication of revenue gathering against principles for all other medications . I can go with the flow but I will never feel it is right to charge patients for merely seeking their medication . If these clubs have merit on their own they should be more then happy to have the traffic the Markets provide and seperate membership from medicinal access a activity not approved under Federal law like they do in Jackson .

Are you familiar with the concept of co-operatives, Croppled1? We all contribute so that the co-op can exist. If you have space for the co-op to use for free or for low cost that would be great. If not then let us members work together to keep quality meds available to patients. This co-op is it's its own thing with its own needs. If you don't like this particular co-op model then stick to wherever you like to go. It's no problem. You can state your opinion all you like of course but I'll state mine too.

I consider a one year $20 membership fee nominal. Let's face it if someone can't afford $20 a year they are not in a position to be compensating for much caregiver cost at any rate, even really good rates. I think if the co-op is successful in the long run there will be a move to sponsor patients or something of the like. That's what I would like to see personally.

I had hoped you would come down because you seem like a great person. Even if you don't want to join there is ample room to hang out in the main area and talk to like minded people.

Edited by MightyMightyMezz

Yeah... the wiki doesn't say much unfortunately. It seems like there's no real info on what's acutally going on here in Ann Arbor. I have yet to find an answer as to whether a doctors note alone will satisfy the AAPD if you're just a patient with a few plants.

No there isn't really info on it. It could go either way. I think while the A2 police may follow the 2004 law someone who wanted to be fairly reliably protected would want a state card.

Are you familiar with the concept of co-operatives, Croppled1? We all contribute so that the co-op can exist. If you have space for the co-op to use for free or for low cost that would be great. If not then let us members work together to keep quality meds available to patients. This co-op is it's its own thing with its own needs. If you don't like this particular co-op model then stick to wherever you like to go. It's no problem. You can state your opinion all you like of course but I'll state mine too.

I consider a one year $20 membership fee nominal. Let's face it if someone can't afford $20 a year they are not in a position to be compensating for much caregiver cost at any rate, even really good rates. I think if the co-op is successful in the long run there will be a move to sponsor patients or something of the like. That's what I would like to see personally.

I had hoped you would come down because you seem like a great person. Even if you don't want to join there is ample room to hang out in the main area and talk to like minded people.

I agree with Mezz