Ann Arbor Pharmer's Co-Op, Hosted By The Thc Compassion Club

Are you familiar with the concept of co-operatives, Croppled1? We all contribute so that the co-op can exist. If you have space for the co-op to use for free or for low cost that would be great. If not then let us members work together to keep quality meds available to patients. This co-op is it's its own thing with its own needs. If you don't like this particular co-op model then stick to wherever you like to go. It's no problem. You can state your opinion all you like of course but I'll state mine too.

I was trying to be helpful to your co-op and other groups by alerting to the fact that there has been case law where clubs can not deny access per memberships to medication .That is a fact . I hate to make more stress for you . I am not a lawyer maybe one would give a free opinion and perhaps medicnal cannabis isn't truly considered medication under current law .

Many non profit groups have open to the public activities and since their is always a threat of Federal or State prosecution it might be reasonable to ask for voluntary support from participants to join the Hemp Center not related to the aquisition of medication . That way you keep the two activities seperate and you can conduct disribution without records Then there is no list of people involved other then generic funds transfered into the co-op from those renting space .. it is not a opinion it is something for your members to consider and discuss to create the safest possible environment from a changing political treatment of medical cannabis . I am 100% behind your efforts to supply affordable medication to patients under a very restrictive and dangerous regulatory enviroment which impairs it .

Obviously my ideas are not well received with the intent they are offerred I do not desire to cause harm nor can I participate in co-op politics . I can write on a message board and thats about it and if you meet me in person I do not appear ill but I assure you I suffer daily like everyone else on the program . That proballey causes me to have a very low risk tolerance and worry to much . I hope you had a good turn out tonight .

Edited by Croppled1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really feel the conversation has gone way off topic, Many people in this state are members of a Co Op, and many people are not. If you are not the type of person to join a group that is totally cool, fine and so your choice. The Hemp center is something I am proud to be a member of, I am a caregiver with a family and kids, I grow for myself and some very very sick people. I like other have a little bit of overages from time to time, this is quality medicine at a really reasonable donation rate. As I look across the room at the Co Op I see I am not alone, other caregivers are much like me. We have created yet another affordable safe place for people to be supported with meds, have a sense of community and join together. I really can't imagine a city that has laws and policies more in support of Medical Marijuanna, the Medical-marijuana referendum of 2004 was considered less restrictive and regulated then the later 2008 law.

I personally want to be able to grow and provide medicine for patients, and after a fair amount of research Ann Arbor is where I am choosing to do that. So Croppled and if anyone else wants to come and visit us great no need to put your name on anything or join anything, if you like what you see and want to join us you will be very welcome.

Now the topic that is much more important, we had our first evening opening up in response to patients asking for weekday hours, I hear it was a great success, and look forward to being there myself Saturday and doing what I do each weekend supporting patients.

Warm regards,

Unfortunately due to a landlord dispute the Pharmer's Co-op will be cancelled until further notice. Members interested in creating alternatives for the Co-op should meet at the Hemmp Center at the usual Saturday time, 12:00 without meds. Again no meds will be exchanged at this emergency meeting. A heartfelt apology to those who may be inconvenienced or worse unable to obtain needed meds at all.

Unfortunately due to a landlord dispute the Pharmer's Co-op will be cancelled until further notice. Members interested in creating alternatives for the Co-op should meet at the Hemmp Center at the usual Saturday time, 12:00 without meds. Again no meds will be exchanged at this emergency meeting. A heartfelt apology to those who may be inconvenienced or worse unable to obtain needed meds at all.

I received my notification of the suspension a few hours ago, took this long to get past the shock. I know the farmers and the staff. All good people with their hearts in the right place.

It is difficult to fathom the reasoning behind the landlords choice, which is founded on lies. One thing is certain if he thinks he can use that location in an effort to mimic the pharmer's market I for one will boycott it and may even protest outside of such a business.

In the mean time anyone got any suggestions for another location in AA? It would be most difficult to go to jackson or lansing for me.

I received my notification of the suspension a few hours ago, took this long to get past the shock. I know the farmers and the staff. All good people with their hearts in the right place.

It is difficult to fathom the reasoning behind the landlords choice, which is founded on lies. One thing is certain if he thinks he can use that location in an effort to mimic the pharmer's market I for one will boycott it and may even protest outside of such a business.

In the mean time anyone got any suggestions for another location in AA? It would be most difficult to go to jackson or lansing for me.

I believe everything happens for a reason, The Co Op was a special place with special folks, I am sure we will have a better location, and all the great folks will just be in a new location. I also hope we can create a stop gap plan for local patients while a new location is being found, stay tuned I hope to have news very soon.

Warm regards,

If you haven't done so already you may want to use what is in your membership fund to work with a lawyer about forming the co-op as a non profit corporation and yes it costs money but it may be reasonable and necessary . If you don't have a lawyer already as a group maybe you could retain Dennis Hayes long time advocate who spoke at the Wayne State Law Symposium in the fall of 2009 ?. Since he was instrumental in helping obtain special treatment for cannabis use in Ann Arbor over the past 40 years and he is local as well as familiar with everyone at the City he would be a wonderful Alli . He may even know a landlord/activist wiling to assume the risks involved and provide a low cost alternative to the previous location .Having the co-op formed as a corporation will allow for your co-op to conduct business through it's elected officers while protecting everyones private property not related to the co-op activity .

Many patients in Wasthenaw County need this alternative especially with a lounge that has veiw of the street where they could sit, watch and wait for public transportation . Washtenaw County has the A ride transportation program for the disabled . If I am not mistaken it almost completely covers the county when using other special programs with some restrictions now . Sadly I can't use it due to my nervous system injury that can't tolerate cramped positions or the vibration the shared rides always create but the majority of patients can . I don't know if it is still true but at one time we were one of only a half dozen areas to develop a urban transit program this comprehensive for individuals in the whole Country .

Edited by Croppled1

If you haven't done so already you may want to use what is in your membership fund to work with a lawyer about forming the co-op as a non profit corporation and yes it costs money but it may be reasonable and necessary .

Yep the Hemmp Center has non-profit status, Crop.

Again for those who are just tuning in: The Pharmer's Co-op is cancelled for today 3/17/12 and beyond until further notice. Emergency meeting today at 12:00 at the Hemmp Center to determine the future direction of the co-op.

Edited by MightyMightyMezz

Ask tj rice how he feels about aa marijuana laws didnt they tell him they where bound by new state laws and city laws didnt apply anymore. No more lists for me period.

you are right i was at his court day and as far as a list we have been on said list for sometime IMHO even if we don't renew are cards

let me digress....it's the SOCIAL CLIMATE these bills are creating and I might be way off base here but how come this market just all of a sudden got evicted?? ....someone told them to pull the plug or the landlord just didn't want that kind of tenant which will be what you will see more and more as the social climate here is changed to one of fear and that's what it looks like to me but I don't know the particulars maybe they were behind in their rent or like I'm vibing here the landlord got notice to evict them or is just scared to have tennents like that given all the ambiguities in the law right now.....the powers that be are sending a MSG to patients and their supporters and IMHO you will probably see more of this....Ann arbor voted more than 3-1 for the law and is one of the most liberated places in Michigan for the leaf and as soon as momentum gets going for an open pharmers market it gets evicted??....hmmmm...something ain't good....I hope the THC club gets passed this as I visited that market a coupe times and enjoyed it ...too bad ...but I think the authorities are trying to realign the social climate with one more to their liking....FEAR...and that's for all the patients and people who support them....peace

I think what it is is the landlord is trying to cover his asss, which is disappointing but understandable. There were complaints from other properties that triggered this. I don't think they know how destructive their actions are to patients.

Many do know how destructive their actions are to patients. Many of them just don't care, as they view us as third or fourth class citizens.

I think what it is is the landlord is trying to cover his asss, which is disappointing but understandable. There were complaints from other properties that triggered this. I don't think they know how destructive their actions are to patients.

When you think your assets might be in jeopardy it's very easy to pull the plug. Right or wrong I totally agree, Understandable.

let me digress....it's the SOCIAL CLIMATE these bills are creating and I might be way off base here but how come this market just all of a sudden got evicted?? ....someone told them to pull the plug or the landlord just didn't want that kind of tenant which will be what you will see more and more as the social climate here is changed to one of fear and that's what it looks like to me but I don't know the particulars maybe they were behind in their rent or like I'm vibing here the landlord got notice to evict them or is just scared to have tennents like that given all the ambiguities in the law right now.....the powers that be are sending a MSG to patients and their supporters and IMHO you will probably see more of this....Ann arbor voted more than 3-1 for the law and is one of the most liberated places in Michigan for the leaf and as soon as momentum gets going for an open pharmers market it gets evicted??....hmmmm...something ain't good....I hope the THC club gets passed this as I visited that market a coupe times and enjoyed it ...too bad ...but I think the authorities are trying to realign the social climate with one more to their liking....FEAR...and that's for all the patients and people who support them....peace

and i agree it's just the start of things to come IMHO

When you think your assets might be in jeopardy it's very easy to pull the plug. Right or wrong I totally agree, Understandable.

That was a nice location . Yes if you were a landlord and read all the info out of Lansing and on MM with the current Justice Department memos plus were watching California and Colorado you would worry because of the unreasonable treatment against third party owners .Everyone worries because everyone knows someone that has had their medical program interrupted by legal complications involving improper application of the parameters surrounding the Act . Regardless of where the fault lies it is non productive for all concerned . They should be opening up freedoms in Lansing not defining more restrictions making following the Act more difficult with more arrest lines . Please keep us updated on progress to restore a market to Ann Arbor . You know the dispensaries will be against it or nuetral unless they get their own grow rights .

Edited by Croppled1

I had a long meeting about this subject today. I intend to everything in my power to help these folks get back up and running ASAP. They can't stop us. They can't break our will. I would rather die than let them win! Thanks, bb

I really appreciate all your time today Joe, I will get back with you on the information you were asking for. I am optimistic about having a market in Ann Arbor again, more information to follow soon.

This may be a little far fetched but, In my area All the cert centers etc,rented areas for co-ops they just do not look good at all they don't mesh with the locations around, maybe for those running co-ops ,markets,clincs could "beautify" the stores fronts more if the funds are available, Most of the places around me have covered up windows no real signage etc just looks odd and stands out of the rest , just a though maybe it would help maybe not. when i drive by i can spot a clinic,co-op without having to even read a sign, just by the looks of the rented space

This is hard to understand on line . Did they evict the professionals and rest of the Hemp Center participants too ? Or just close down the market ? I feel for the co-op members who have undoubtedly invested allot of time and effort . I would believe more work needed to be done to be officially approved under a city license . While you have a great advocate in charge of the council who is planning on retiring now is the time to get any variance or accommodation required if that will be a long term obstacle to operation . I would think your form of organization with price controls that were alluded to in one post or sliding fee scales which nobody has in place now would be very well received for licensing . Didn't Ann Arbor put a limit restricting licenses and operations for medical use distribution recently ? Without a license your in one of those grey areas and both the Chief of Police and Prosecutors Office have always being critical and non supportive of the 2004 voter initiative . You might get around it by providing a place without fee's involved to allow medical use exchanges . That is just the sad truth not meant to inflame a already tense situation for all concerned . .

It is a shame all of Washtenaw County is pretty well closed off now to new distribution type operations . We do need a market and there is resistance from others in the cannabis community already in place as well as officials . Jackson is not a option for many patients or caregivers here .

Edited by Croppled1