Stupid & Irresponsible & Dumb Quote Of The Day!

Today's stupid & responsible & dumb quote is brought to you by Jones.

Marijuana Proponent Lights Into Jones, Committee

The head of Michigan's marijuana legalization effort said the Senate Judiciary Committee chair is "wasting time" with anti-marijuana bills that appear to have been drafted "just to mess with people" since they aren't going to pass the House.

Matt ABEL told MIRS today that Sen. Rick JONES (R-Grand Ledge) is a "prohibitionist and likely will always be a prohibitionist" and the "sooner he's out of the Legislature, the sooner we can have progress in Michigan."

The remarks came after the Senate Judiciary Committee held a pair of bills that add restrictions to the medical marijuana law. No one from the medical marijuana community chose to testify on either bill.

Asked if they were ignoring Jones, Abel said, "We're not completely ignoring him. Much of the rest of the Legislature is ignoring him. He has a reputation as a nut. I didn't give that to him. He earned that."

Abel said he was particularly bothered by Jones' SB 0977, which takes glaucoma off the list of conditions that could be treated by medical marijuana. That bill was not on today's agenda, but has already had a hearing, where testimony was light.

"That's offensive," Abel said. "We're three years late in considering adding new conditions, but he has no bones about cutting off eligibility."

SB 0977 came about because the medical associations came to him with data that showed people were going blind thinking they could self-medicate with marijuana as opposed to using eye-drops that could have saved their eyesight.

"This is serious stuff," Jones said. "We've got doctors who are prepared to come in and testify on this. For any group to use people's eyesight to promote legalize marijuana is outrageous."

On today's agenda was SB 0933, which gives insurance companies the power to cover medical marijuana expenses, which Abel called a "solution in search of a problem" since they currently have that ability.

However, Pete KUHNMUENCH of the Insurance Institute of Michigan (IIM) testified that his group believes the language of the 2008 voter-passed medical marijuana law is not clear whether coverage of medical marijuana is mandated or not.

The second bill, SB 0974, gives rental property owners more power to ban marijuana from their premises, which Abel called a "hostile bill," which gives landlords overreaching power over their tenants.

But Jones pointed out that the bill only codifies an opinion already reached by Attorney General Bill SCHUETTE and is being done to prevent rental units from damage by the moisture generated by growing marijuana. He noted that one unit caught on fire in his district because a heat lamp was tipped over.

Asked if he believes that Jones' history as an Eaton County Sheriff is clouding his perception that marijuana is anything but bad, Abel said, "Yes, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong."

Jones said he's seen all sorts of threats and attacks against him and Schuette by marijuana supporters online, which he called "silly." The latest comments from Abel he found not surprising.

"I'd consider the source," Jones said. "This old sheriff has never worried about making friends with potheads."

The second bill, SB 0974, gives rental property owners more power to ban marijuana from their premises, which Abel called a "hostile bill," which gives landlords overreaching power over their tenants.

But Jones pointed out that the bill only codifies an opinion already reached by Attorney General Bill SCHUETTE and is being done to prevent rental units from damage by the moisture generated by growing marijuana. He noted that one unit caught on fire in his district because a heat lamp was tipped over.

If it's fires Jones is worried about, maybe he should ban stoves or space heaters... those probably cause a lot more fires. If it's cultivation he's worried about, why is he trying to ban medical use? I hope the Committee is able to see through his nonsense.

"I'd consider the source," Jones said. "This old sheriff has never worried about making friends with potheads."

I'd imagine old Sheriff Jones don't much worry 'bout making friends with anyone that don't: go to his church, or have white skin, or speaka da english, etc....

Archived