Dte Smart Meters

blindman21

Even worse, they can see patterns that will show when lights come on and off. There is no way to get one removed and in Michigan and I do not think we can avoid getting them yet. Hopefully someone will take on the fight like they have in other states to get an opt out program. There are many concerns about these meters, privacy being only one of them.

Fish tanks run HID lights on timers and use lot of electricity.

I thought I heard there was an opt-out for the new meters they plan on installing around muskegon. Not sure.

There is an opt-out clause but I think it cost you more, have heard that if you are a high energy user and contact the Electric company they will give you a discount on your usage if you adjust it to off times. Off-peak times would be late-night early-morning times but you have to have one of these smart meters to get the discount, they have to be able to see when your high usage time is.

Wow... that would.be amazing if it wasn't so intrusive

I would avoid getting them if you can. Hackers have been cracking them open and finding extremely intrusive power monitoring. Capturing data points far beyond what is needed to work as advertised. Some smart meters were taking so much data, some were able to use the data to predict whats on TV.

http://epic.org/privacy/smartgrid/smart_meter.pdf

you can't hide without Smart meters. Even now I am sure they have a graph of your energy use per hour, every day, week by week, month by month. You can see when your HID lights come on, and go off.

Big deal, as long as you pay your bill, they are happy.

Since we have legal grows, a judge is not going to issue a search warrant based on electric use, smell, or FLIR - unless they rebut with evidence that you are not legal - ie exposed open grow, selling out your front door, and smoking around your neighbors.

DN

The price for off peak is few pennies, but worth looking into.

I know I got attention when I moved in, the old owner used 900 kw per month, I moved in and jacked it to 2400KW per month lol .

Be more aware of their payment plan - they give you a monthly rate based on a guessimate - like they wanted me to only pay $195 a month, on a $600 bill, but I was using $250 per month, so the bill only got bigger - later they will recorrect the monthly rate, but you should always over pay. Some people I know found a $2,000 bill because they only paid the minimum

DN

The price for off peak is few pennies, but worth looking into.

I know I got attention when I moved in, the old owner used 900 kw per month, I moved in and jacked it to 2400KW per month lol .

Be more aware of their payment plan - they give you a monthly rate based on a guessimate - like they wanted me to only pay $195 a month, on a $600 bill, but I was using $250 per month, so the bill only got bigger - later they will recorrect the monthly rate, but you should always over pay. Some people I know found a $2,000 bill because they only paid the minimum

DN

You got that spot on my bill is going to be about $1600 to even it out in April or May. With my MS and the heat last summer not only lights going but the air going, heat is a killer with MS can't even function in the heat, the bill is huge. Not looking forward to the new monthly payment since i am already topped out at over $200 for just electric but better then this bill hitting me in the face.

Archived