Using A Food Dehydrator

blindman21

Yup for sure slow and steady is the way to go. I like to put meds on a drying rack for a couple days and then put them in large glass jars, and burp them, or remove the lid for just a little bit a few times a day, this lets them cure up nice and slow, have uniform moisture. Just say no to food dehydrator

Hey guys. Sorry I'm a newby to growing. My first (and only) harvest was WAY over dry. Do all of you just hang it for a couple days and then put it in jars and burp it? How do you know when it's ready to go into the jars? And do you worry about the humidity and so on when it's hanging? Also, do you keep the jars in a dark place after you put it in jars?

What we did was hang it in a cool dark place with a fan that was circulating air (not blowing on the plants). We left it there until the branches snapped when you bent them.

Thanks.

You hang and dry in a cool, dark space. You want air movement in that space, but nothing blowing directly on the buds. You dry until one of the bigger stems SNAPS when broken. Then you put the buds into jars, burping them several times a day during the first week, then gradually spread out the burpings until you only have to do it once a month. I dry and cure for no less than 60 days ideally. Like a fine wine, we should smoke no bud until it's time...lol... Peace ... j.b.

You hang and dry in a cool, dark space. You want air movement in that space, but nothing blowing directly on the buds. You dry until one of the bigger stems SNAPS when broken. Then you put the buds into jars, burping them several times a day during the first week, then gradually spread out the burpings until you only have to do it once a month. I dry and cure for no less than 60 days ideally. Like a fine wine, we should smoke no bud until it's time...lol... Peace ... j.b.

Thanks J.B. That is what we did except that when the branch was dry enough to SNAP the buds were already so dry that they crumbled when you touched them. I just can't figure out what I did wrong. Maybe the humidity was too low in the room. I'm guessing it was around 15 or 20%. I dont know. Don't want them to mold either so.... Thinking with this next harvest I need to find a different place to dry.

I hang for 5 days then trim and put into jars.

I personally find that by the time the stems snap, you are already too dry.

Crisp on outside, but not crumbly and just a little give when squeezed is perfect.

I also find that by the time the stem snap, your over dried. As it's hanging for the first few days it's nice to trim back the leaves gradually to expose more air to the sites. The buds on the plant are not all the same size therefor they will not dry evenly. This is why it's important to equalize the moisture throughout the bud by jarring or bagging the meds after the 4-7 day mark then releasing the air within the container once or twice a day. This will ensure you do not have "Crispy outside -- Damp inside"

Proper curing is essential for good tasting buds. i use a hygrometer to measure the mositure content in each jar. usually after a 7 day dry its around 70% or a bit less, i jar it and close it up and open daily,, as it finishes out the humidity lowers to 65% continue to open the jar.. an hour or more each day. watch it and don't let the humidity get higher.. once it meets 60% its curing like it should be, at that time close the jar and forget about it for a week. then burp it again, after a month its done with a humidity of 55%.. approx... it will burn and smoke sweet and cool.. thats all there is to curing it.

Those food dryers, lol they suck for a nice smoke.. harsh, terrible taste. like grass outta the yard.. lol

http://bovedainc.com/

I use the 59% RH packs and being two way can remove or add RH .

In use by many Cali dispensaries .

LA container carries them in stock and has a banner advert on this forum

yes very interesting. I see on their store locator they are sold at a store near where I work. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the info!

Proper curing is essential for good tasting buds. i use a hygrometer to measure the mositure content in each jar. usually after a 7 day dry its around 70% or a bit less, i jar it and close it up and open daily,, as it finishes out the humidity lowers to 65% continue to open the jar.. an hour or more each day. watch it and don't let the humidity get higher.. once it meets 60% its curing like it should be, at that time close the jar and forget about it for a week. then burp it again, after a month its done with a humidity of 55%.. approx... it will burn and smoke sweet and cool.. thats all there is to curing it.

Those food dryers, lol they suck for a nice smoke.. harsh, terrible taste. like grass outta the yard.. lol

I think I had some dehydrated meds before. Gross!!! "grass outta the yard"

When my meds are ready to come down i have a drying net, so i trim the buds real nice then i put them on the rack for about 3-4 days then when they feel crispy, i take them out and put them in glass jars overnight burping a few times, then the next day they are damp again from sweating i put them back out on the net for the day and they crisp up again and they go in the jar again that night and sometimes they need to be put back out for one more day but usually they dont sweat to much and they go from crispy to perfect dry but slightly spongy to the slight squeeze then when they reach that point i go threw them and give them a final trim pretty much just a touch up and then they stay in the jars to cure being burped every so often i find it works well for my situation. and a buddy of mine uses a dehydrator in a pinch when he is out of meds but i would never do it myself ruins it.

Rob

• 9 years later...

I've been growing for years and Ive tried many different ways to dry the only way that works right is slow and steady. I hang them for 4 days then cut trim and place them in a regular brown paper bag for 3 days then it goes in the jar filling the jar only 75 percent. The me personally burp my on the schedule of my light cycle of my new clutch so I burp the jar twice a day once when my lights cut on once off. After 5 days of this you'll see the drawing in of the bud on itself forming compact buds. Mason jars are all I use.