I Am Signing A Non-Verbal Autistic Patient.

Darkmatter

I know a woman who has an Autistic son (27 years old) that lives with her. I am his Home Health Aide (Caregiver). This kid is cool as hell! Just about everyone likes him, but his condition makes things very challenging for him. He has an extremely high level of anxiety and obsessions that are synonymous with Autism. He paces the floors all night, so much that the floor wears out in the walkways. He yells at his family all the time. He obsesses about trivial things so much that that you can see the pain in his face. He can not speak, instead he uses very basic American sign language (about 1000 words) to communicate. He also has Cerebral Palsy, coupled with severe mental retardation, and a serious hip deformity. He hates taking pills or any type of medicine, but that really does not matter, he has tried them all, and none of them help. But even if there was a pill out there, you would be hard pressed to get him to ingest it everyday. Even hiding it in food does not work.

His mother is DEAD SET on trying Medical Marijuana to help him. To help him sleep, to help his anxiety, and to help with his hip pain. She is well informed, and has done the reading. In edjucating herself on this she has found all the other Autistic people who have been transformed by our medicine, needless to say, she wants her son to try MM asap!

My question is this:

He can not ask for Medical Marijuana. He does not know what it is. He will be using medibles as he loves sweets and will eat them at the drop of a hat. This boy is a "No" person. If you ask him a question, no matter what the answer is in his mind, what comes out is always "No". If you knew him you would get it.

Would we be open to scrutiny or persecution because he can not really say "yes"? He says "No" to the pills too, and his behaviors have been getting more challenging for him as he is getting older, he needs relief, and his PCP is on board. She knows he has tried everything too.

Any thoughts of suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The mother and myself want to help him, but not at the risk of our freedoms. We can not care for this boy from prison.

I ll presume his Mother is his legal power of attorney considering the mental situations. It is then her choice.

Personally, I'm good with it. it is medicine, it is beneficial, it is healing. I am sure he will get much needed relief, and this inturn will make Moms and all others life dealing with him much less stressful.

IMO, this is a Win for him!

I ll presume his Mother is his legal power of attorney considering the mental situations. It is then her choice.

Personally, I'm good with it. it is medicine, it is beneficial, it is healing. I am sure he will get much needed relief, and this inturn will make Moms and all others life dealing with him much less stressful.

IMO, this is a Win for him!

Yes you presume correctly. She has legal guardianship/PoA.

Thanks for bringing that up! I neglected to mention it.

Autism Research Review International, 2003, Vol. 17, No. 1, page 3(excerpt)

Medical Marijuana: A Valuable Treatment for Autism?

I am certainly not an advocate for drugs-either legal or illicit. I have never smoked and I don’t care at all for alcohol. And I agree with Oliver Wendell Holmes when he said, “I firmly believe that if the whole materia medica could be sunk to the bottom of the sea it would all the better for mankind and all the worse for the fishes.”

Having said that:

In ARRI 16-2 we published a letter from a mother in Florida whose very large autistic son changed from a sweet, loving boy to a teenager who flew into unpredictable rages which “were usually associated with self injury, aggression and property damage.” She went on, “At times I had to lock myself in the bathroom; otherwise he would attack me. We gave him many medications, but nothing worked.”

A friend suggested a solution: a brownie with marijuana baked into it. “Soon after he ate the brownie,” she said, “my son’s anxiety disappeared, and his sweet, loving behavior returned. He shows no signs of being under the influence of a drug. He now receives one marijuana brownie and several doses of Marinol, which contains the active ingredient in marijuana, each day. This has clearly saved my child’s life and my family’s life.” . . .

If you decide to try this approach, the Autism Research Institute would very much like to learn about the results-positive or negative. We are also interested in hearing from physicians with expert knowledge about the benefits and adverse effects of either short-term or long-term use of medical marijuana.

. With what you said sounds like this young man could possibly benefit. If you agree his mother agrees and a doctor agrees I personally see no moral issue. I think I would keep a detailed journal if not just for the sake of the research. As a home health aide following a doctor's recommendation, and Guardian approval technically should cover the legality I would think. Not to mention it would fall into a similar category as a minor person receiving medical marijuana to alleviate their symptoms.

I wish you good luck and look forward to hearing how this possibly will help this young man I hope mom and the family the benefits as well.

I have seen what others forcing medication can do resulting in harm to persons and I am very against forcing medications on anyone including cannabis . I would be honest as possible communicating just to try it and let him decide . I do not believe anyone should force or deny medication they believe they need to another person that is cruel and inhumane treatment . Nobody but a patient can evaluate the benefit and consequences . I see these fights with medical professionals involving patients in the court system all the time . Just try the person without forcing medications on them if so inclined but don't torture them .

Patients refuse or desire medication for a reason . Many medications cause reactions in individuals that are atypical and cause immense suffering as well as bizarre behaviors . Many change chemistry making cessation unbearable requiring special care that is never offered nor affordable from only trying to avoid suffering they could not tolerate in the first place . Suffering so severe it can and does take life .

Has anyone done a blood panel on him to check for imbalances that might be causing his discomfort ? Does he have social and satisfying task activities to tire him out with a reasonable way to attend that isn't painful ? I feel for him I have anxiety from medication that leaves me restless at times but suffer pain from movement or activity too . I usually get better if I can just wean down my medications . The right strain of cannabis helps once you found it your so sad to loose it . I can understand MRD's desire to never loose his lemon cake from that standpoint not the money .

I have friends that tell me cannabis gives them a headache and makes them feel bad . I would honor the patients desires as you won't know otherwise . I would wait for a calm day and explain it to him like this . I have a few great tasting med ables you can try over a short time and if you don't like it I will not bother you again . If they help we can work this into your daily routine . Then you can try a indica , sativa and a blend . I would do the mid range THC CBD CBN strains .

Remember he may be eligible for other programs but only if he doesn't use cannabis .... there is so much punitive zero tolerance law on the books and the Act is not being interpreted properly to supersede them . People just don't' have the education to accept the proper interpretation or implementation of the act yet . Our top law enforcement official denies medical cannabis is reality . There may be a work program for him now depending on where he lives in the State that he can access to get out but they may drug test which would cause conflicts . They usually do for every program nowadays . The disabled on the program are in a very bad spot through no fault of their own in many instances because they need this substance as medicine .

Another issue I feel is upsetting besides patients being forced or denied medications is the fact we have many people in Foster care who actually worked to have Proposition 1 passed only to be denied access through the Guardianship and zero tolerance policies of their living arrangements . Many individuals are more intelligent then I but can't support or care for themselves so they end up there . Why we force them to suffer needlessly and feel deprived of something others can access outside Foster Care is beyond me . Nobody should ever be forced this program should be open and voluntary .

Another way of putting the qustion to him is : you do not want to take this med able right ? If he responds no and eats it when offered thats the same as yes in my book . I understand about working with people with disabillities . You can't force it down his throat regardless of everyone elses wishes .

I have seen what others forcing medication can do resulting in harm to persons and I am very against forcing medications on anyone including cannabis . I would be honest as possible communicating just to try it and let him decide . I do not believe anyone should force or deny medication they believe they need to another person that is cruel and inhumane treatment . Nobody but a patient can evaluate the benefit and consequences . I see these fights with medical professionals involving patients in the court system all the time . Just try the person without forcing medications on them if so inclined but don't torture them .

Patients refuse or desire medication for a reason . Many medications cause reactions in individuals that are atypical and cause immense suffering as well as bizarre behaviors . Many change chemistry making cessation unbearable requiring special care that is never offered nor affordable from only trying to avoid suffering they could not tolerate in the first place . Suffering so severe it can and does take life .

Has anyone done a blood panel on him to check for imbalances that might be causing his discomfort ? Does he have social and satisfying task activities to tire him out with a reasonable way to attend that isn't painful ? I feel for him I have anxiety from medication that leaves me restless at times but suffer pain from movement or activity too . I usually get better if I can just wean down my medications . The right strain of cannabis helps once you found it your so sad to loose it . I can understand MRD's desire to never loose his lemon cake from that standpoint not the money .

I have friends that tell me cannabis gives them a headache and makes them feel bad . I would honor the patients desires as you won't know otherwise . I would wait for a calm day and explain it to him like this . I have a few great tasting med ables you can try over a short time and if you don't like it I will not bother you again . If they help we can work this into your daily routine . Then you can try a indica , sativa and a blend . I would do the mid range THC CBD CBN strains .

Remember he may be eligible for other programs but only if he doesn't use cannabis .... there is so much punitive zero tolerance law on the books and the Act is not being interpreted properly to supersede them . People just don't' have the education to accept the proper interpretation or implementation of the act yet . Our top law enforcement official denies medical cannabis is reality . There may be a work program for him now depending on where he lives in the State that he can access to get out but they may drug test which would cause conflicts . They usually do for every program nowadays . The disabled on the program are in a very bad spot through no fault of their own in many instances because they need this substance as medicine .

Another issue I feel is upsetting besides patients being forced or denied medications is the fact we have many people in Foster care who actually worked to have Proposition 1 passed only to be denied access through the Guardianship and zero tolerance policies of their living arrangements . Many individuals are more intelligent then I but can't support or care for themselves so they end up there . Why we force them to suffer needlessly and feel deprived of something others can access outside Foster Care is beyond me . Nobody should ever be forced this program should be open and voluntary .

Another way of putting the qustion to him is : you do not want to take this med able right ? If he responds no and eats it when offered thats the same as yes in my book . I understand about working with people with disabillities . You can't force it down his throat regardless of everyone elses wishes .

Thank you. This is my main concern as well. I am not allowed by law to force medication on anyone without a note from their PCP and release from their guardian. That being said I want to be clear here. I have not ever, not even once in my 11 year career forced meds on a patient, doctors note or not. I can almost always reason with patients to take their meds willingly. I can do this because my patients know that I genuinely care for them, and they trust me because of that. His PCP is running us through the final 2 medications on her list currently, after that he will get certified. If this kid does not get some help soon, he may wind up in a state run facility. Trust me when I say that is not good. I could list everything he has tried but we would be here all night, and yes he is the type of dude that will tell you "No" then take the brownie and eat it. It's like a programmed response.

i worked with a child who had autism and it is very difficult for them, as you have aptly stated, to make their own decisions then to be able to relay that to someone else is almost impossible. I personally do not feel that trying to help him find relief by giving him meds in a brownie is in anyway wrong since Everyone is on board about this. Your all acting responsible and sounds like close to being at your wits end. If this boy was capable of being able to say yes I want something to help me Be who I Really am inside instead of what comes out of me uncontrollably I think you know he would be shouting Yes from the rooftop. MM is so much less toxic then all these other medications that are given to children and I can see how this would be beneficial for everyone. If it works you all will know immediately not like the meds that take so long to build up before they actually do any good or have such bad side effects that it isn't worth it in the long run to have a child on them. IF this helps can you imagine how much happier he will be because his "bad" behavior will lessen, it will be a God send for this young man and his family.

Thank you. This is my main concern as well. I am not allowed by law to force medication on anyone without a note from their PCP and release from their guardian. That being said I want to be clear here. I have not ever, not even once in my 11 year career forced meds on a patient, doctors note or not. I can almost always reason with patients to take their meds willingly. I can do this because my patients know that I genuinely care for them, and they trust me because of that. His PCP is running us through the final 2 medications on her list currently, after that he will get certified. If this kid does not get some help soon, he may wind up in a state run facility. Trust me when I say that is not good. I could list everything he has tried but we would be here all night, and yes he is the type of dude that will tell you "No" then take the brownie and eat it. It's like a programmed response.

[i see you have a C section spine issue . I do too . I also see you stated you have been doing this for 11 years which usually means you came from the West Coast when the opportunity to advance the legal use of cannabis as over the counter medicine in Michigan came about in 2008 . Many of the Legislators are Xenophobic about caregivers coming back to their home State or here at the start of change . A current bill would create a 2 year residency restriction for caregivers and the end result would be a loss of talent . What other industry restricts experienced individuals from applying for positions . Many of these individuals left when cannabis became legal elsewhere and now are returning . There are quite a few people whom can grow and cure cannabis but very few who can treat patients and create , oils , med ables and tinctures with a good understanding of which strains to use . None of our Doctors are trained in this regard and only the specialty clinics prohibitionists complain about often have any understanding of the realities surrounding use . I can't imagine restricting the most experienced workers when the Governor is promoting immigration of talent for other industries from overseas .

It just shows you how discriminatory officials are toward medical cannabis and it's patients . The fact that there has been a death after arrest and it didn't trigger a legislative panel itself and concern by law enforcement is very suspect .

If you feel the same don't forget to tell your officials politely .

I also see you stated you have been doing this for 11 years which usually means you came from the West Coast when the opportunity to advance the legal use of cannabis as over the counter medicine in Michigan came about in 2008 .

No I have only been a Medical Marijuana caregiver for about 1 year. I have been a home health aide for 11 years.

I know a couple who has an autistic child so I realize how important the subject is and did some research for them. Everything I found online was positive regarding cannabis & autism but they have not yet decided how they will proceed.

It strongly suggests the person will experience a moderate to even total decline in some of the manic type behaviors associated with the disease. There are many testimonies published on the net of families extolling the benefits of cannabis treatment on their autistic child. I've read none so far that said cannabis caused a negative effect or said their child was worse after cannabis. Nearly all the parents said their children were having adverse reactions to the pharmaceuticals though. No surprise there.

One child I read of had to have his arms 24 hr restrained in some type of medieval belt device because he would dig holes in his skin. Out of desperation, the parents added cannabis edibles along with the child's food. It didn't take long to see positive behavior changes. The child still had his moments but now has friends and even plays outside.

Another child was an extreme spinner, kept mostly sedated because of his violent streaks, was so spastic that his muscles would contract and twist his body around, and had to be force fed. Again out of desperation, a parent decides to try cannabis. That child is much improved, can now eat by himself and has even started to put his plates and utensils in the sink.

Testimonials written by responsible parents that love their children as much as anyone does can be easily found online. If it were my child's quality of life at stake, I wouldn't think about it. I'd be in the kitchen and would not give a toss what anyone thought. No one's business but that of the parents.

I wish your friends the best with their family member. :rock:

we are all waiting on pins and needles to hear how this goes

i have done so much reading on the subject and am left with a broken heart on the matter-CANNABIS CURES/HEALS!

we are talking severe human rights violations by denying anyone access to Cannabis as their Panacea

which seems most anecdotal evidence points to.

no conspiracy

big business plowed cannabis under...until they are ready to profit from it

yet those profits have to exceed the money consumed with incarcerating cannabis offenders, the jobs they feed in the American Penal System and all involved before they come out of the closet in favor of once again in history

HEMP FOR VICTORY

lets add these too while we are at it

HEMP FOR LIFE

HEMP FOR HEALTH

Blessings thoughts of love, light and healing to your tribe -T

Archived