Glaucoma

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billintroduced/Senate/pdf/2012-SIB-0977.pdf

I urge everyone who is going to be attending the committee meeting for the Senate about glaucoma to do as much research as possible to find all reputable medical studies regarding the healing power of cannabis for glaucoma.

As it stands right now, he has The Michigan Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons, the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Glaucoma Society, the American Medical Association and the Michigan State Medical Society that do not support the use of medical marijuana for patients with glaucoma.

The Michigan Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons believes that there are certain types of glaucoma that are painless and that people are using the condition name of glaucoma to become legal for 'recreational use'. Further, they believe that cannabis does not have medical properties which help glaucoma and that everyone should be using drops, prescription medication approved by the USDA, and/or surgery.

This bill must NOT pass!

If the committee believes that they can have a few 'reputable' medical groups shoot down one condition from the list, it won't be long before they start shooting down others. They do not care that cannabis is a medicine that will prevent, heal, or cure almost anything. Be present at this committee.

i ll be in Troy on Tuesday for a drs appointment at 1pm. I doubt any of Senate can get behind Jones bill here. but their should probably be someone there to remind him he better flower it all up while he can, hes only got 7 more months before he IS FIRED.

This Tuesday is a different medical marijuana bill, preventing anyone from medicating on someone's else's property (thus only using medication while in their own home).

March 20 @ 2:30 is the committee about Glaucoma.

Jones says glaucoma patients are going blind because the are foregoing conventional medical treatment in favor of marijuana. Marijuana has been proven, even by the Federal government to reduce the suffering of glaucoma patients. So instead on removing this condition from elgibility, use some of the money they are collecting from patients to educate those who apply for glaucoma treatment. How much could it cost? Since 95% of the registered patients do not hava a qualifying condition (says Jones) there must be very few who apply for glaucoma. I am sure all of them could be well educated on neccesary treatment options for less than it cost to put on one of bill schuttes "clearing the air" seminars. This would be the logical solution to the problem. But as mr jones office told my girlfriend, who has chronic pain from degenerative disk disease, multiple sclerosis, and hepatitis C, "i really don't care what potheads want"

Studies in the 1970s showed marijuana, when smoked or eaten, effectively lowers intraocular pressure by about 25%, as much as standard medications.[57][58][59] In an effort to determine whether marijuana, or drugs derived from marijuana, might be effective as a glaucoma treatment, the US National Eye Institute supported research studies from 1978 to 1984. These studies demonstrated some derivatives of marijuana lowered intraocular pressure when administered orally, intravenously, or by smoking, but not when topically applied to the eye.

i ll be in Troy on Tuesday for a drs appointment at 1pm. I doubt any of Senate can get behind Jones bill here. but their should probably be someone there to remind him he better flower it all up while he can, hes only got 7 more months before he IS FIRED.

His term runs 4 years to 2014 . What is sad is nobody wants people to not use conventional treatments like he is alluding too they want access to adjunctive care with cannabis without penalty or sanction . If Rick Jones cares so much then he should stop the removal of carholders from transplant lists or pain clinics . He should promote proper detoxificiation programs that patients are not afraid of . Patients go into drug therapies for comfort and often end up being threatened with misery placed in programs based in criminality . Our medical system injures then cannot restore them . Cannabis is at least giving these poor souls and others some comfort back without further risk of harm .

Edited by Croppled1

I have glaucoma and use drops along with my mmj. The mmj helps the pain caused by nerve damage done from years of pressure. Weed is the only relief I got from the pain in the back of my eye. Since I use weed on a regular dailey routine I have no pain.

If you cannot attend the hearing, please email documents to Rick Jones' clerk for submission.

I found out some information today for those who are going to the hearing: Campaign contributions in 2010:

Rick Jones

$10,000 - Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association (#1)

$3500 - Michigan Health & Hospital Association (#3)

$2950 - Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan (#4)

$1150 - Michigan Medical Society (#17)

$800 - Michigan Optometric Association

Tory Rocca

$9996 - Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association

$1150 - Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan

$1000 - Michigan Medical Society

Steven Bieda

$3000 - Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan

$2000 - Michigan Health & Hospital Association

$1400 - Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association

Tonya Schuitmaker

$8000 - Michigan Beer & Wine Wholesalers Association

$3500 - Michigan Health & Hospital Association

$3075 - Michigan Medical Society

$1500 - Rick Jones Majority Fund

$1000 - Michigan Optometric Association

It doesn't take a genius to figure out who they are working for...

It is extremely important to get the word out.

I was joined yesterday by BB & a man from the Taxpayers Association of Michigan to oppose yesterday's bill. 3 people representing a whole medical marijuana community. While I understand that most of everything that is headed by Jones gets passed through committee, I heard him state "this will be a quick one to pass through" regarding the medical marijuana law. Yesterday, one committee members mind was not made up after three speeches and his "yay" turned to a "pass".

Next Tuesday's issue is Glaucoma. I am absolutely against removing any qualifying condition from the bill, and in theory, the fact that they refuse to add any more in spite of research.

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/committee/judiciary.shtm

If you cannot make it, please consider emailing your opposition to the bill to the Committee Clerk at the website located above. As it stands, currently there is only one document on file from Richard Clement Sr. We need to FLOOD their office with documentation.

Please. Just because it is the Senate does NOT mean that you do not have a voice. While it is a much more hostile environment, please consider at least emailing your documents for reading at the hearing.

It is extremely important to get the word out.

I was joined yesterday by BB & a man from the Taxpayers Association of Michigan to oppose yesterday's bill. 3 people representing a whole medical marijuana community. While I understand that most of everything that is headed by Jones gets passed through committee, I heard him state "this will be a quick one to pass through" regarding the medical marijuana law. Yesterday, one committee members mind was not made up after three speeches and his "yay" turned to a "pass".

Next Tuesday's issue is Glaucoma. I am absolutely against removing any qualifying condition from the bill, and in theory, the fact that they refuse to add any more in spite of research.

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/committee/judiciary.shtm

If you cannot make it, please consider emailing your opposition to the bill to the Committee Clerk at the website located above. As it stands, currently there is only one document on file from Richard Clement Sr. We need to FLOOD their office with documentation.

Please. Just because it is the Senate does NOT mean that you do not have a voice. While it is a much more hostile environment, please consider at least emailing your documents for reading at the hearing.

Bump,call,call,call email. Although I do not have glaucoma yet family history not that good:( Doctor just said they would watch closely as my pressures have rose slightly and he's labeling me border line. I want to be able to use the medicine of my choice!! I was unable to attend the last two,cannamama I will do my best to make this one :sword:. Rally the troops.......

I have glaucoma and use drops along with my mmj. The mmj helps the pain caused by nerve damage done from years of pressure. Weed is the only relief I got from the pain in the back of my eye. Since I use weed on a regular dailey routine I have no pain.

I too have glacoma and my use of cannabis has lowered the need of my drops in half. I just went to the eye doctor and my pressure is at the # we want....using half the dose of drops. I credit the cannabis for this.

It is my honest hope that if you cannot make the meeting itself, to please send you story or testimony to the Committee Clerk for the Senate. It sickens me that conditions that have already been PROVEN to reduce pressure when NO OTHER medication has and is an approved condition in every single state that allows medical cannabis, that Rick Jones would be so arrogant to try to remove it. If he can get 4 people of the medical community to stand up and testify that they do not believe that this works, we need people to stand up (or write) and explain that it does! It won't be long before he spearheads another condition that "isn't helped by marijuana" and is a "loophole for potheads". At this point, I couldn't function without cannabis. I'd be bedridden, constantly in a spasmatic state.

GW Pharmaceuticals stated on its website (accessed Jan. 2004):

"The ability of cannabis and THC to lower intra-ocular pressure in glaucoma was serendipitously discovered in the late 1970's by a variety of patients and researchers. Several patients in the US Compassionate Use Investigational New Drug Program maintained their vision while employing large amounts of daily cannabis in situations where standard drug therapy failed....

An emerging concept is that glaucoma represents a progressive vascular retinopathy that requires a neuroprotectant to preserve vision. Some of the resulting optic nerve damage accrues due to NMDA hyperexcitability, an effect that THC and CBD may counter as neuroprotective antioxidants.

Thus, glaucoma is an area where cannabis and cannabinoids may offer particular advantages over available single ingredient ocular anti-hypertensive agents. Delivery methods remain an exacting challenge."

The Mayo Clinic stated in its Aug. 25, 2006 article "Marijuana as Medicine: Consider the Pros and Cons," published on its website:

"In the early 1970s, scientists discovered that smoking marijuana reduced pressure in the eyes. Exactly how the cannabinoids in marijuana produce this effect isn't known. Scientists have discovered CB1 receptors in the eyes, which may provide clues for future research on how marijuana affects glaucoma.

Your doctor can prescribe other medications to treat glaucoma, but these can lose their effectiveness over time. Researchers are working to develop medications containing cannabinoids that can be put directly on the eyes — to avoid the mind-altering side effects and other health consequences of smoking the plant."

Paul Palmberg, MD, PhD, a glaucoma expert and National Institute of Health (NIH) medical marijuana panelist, said at a Feb. 20, 1997 conference:

"I don't think there's any doubt about its [marijuana] effectiveness, at least in some people with glaucoma."

Here is a list of side effects of different types of glaucoma medication from big pharm. Lets compare that to cannabis...

Side Effects

Potential side effects of the most commonly prescribed glaucoma medications.

Prostaglandin Analogs: possible changes in eye color and eyelid skin, stinging, blurred vision, eye redness, itching, burning.

Beta Blockers: low blood pressure, reduced pulse rate, fatigue, shortness of breath; rarely: reduced libido, depression.

Alpha Agonists: burning or stinging, fatigue, headache, drowsiness, dry mouth and nose, relatively higher likelihood of allergic reaction.

Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitors: in eye drop form: stinging, burning, eye discomfort; in pill form: tingling hands and feet, stomach upset, memory problems, depression, frequent urination.

Side effects of combined medications may include any of the side effects of the drug types they contain.

• 7 months later...

So weed relives the nerve pain, the drops lower the pressure?