Who Says Medical Marijuana Is Safe And Effective?

Letter in the Baltimore Sun. Full letter here.

Since the legislature wants to play doctor, a little medical education is required before it can obtain and then defend a DEA license like I have. In their excellent opinion Friday ("Medical marijuana laws make a farce of medicine," March 7), Drs. Dinah Miller and Antoinette Hansen did not mention that only double blind, randomized controlled trials with hundreds of patients can determine the safety and effectiveness of a medicine. For marijuana, this would have to be vaporized, as any smoke is carcinogenic, and in treatment-naive subjects, since habitual users can figure quality with a single hit.

Paul Armentano of NORML asks us to respect pot because of its long history ("FDA'smarijuana Catch-22," March 11), but it deserves none without data to support it. Anecdotal evidence is not good evidence, so it just does not matter how much is presented to legislators in labcoats. FDA has attributed four deaths to THC; marijuana's active ingredient does have a lethal dose. In my practice, three elderly patients I gave THC for appetite had unpleasant hallucinations. One patient became more paranoid and dependent on pot. A daily pot smoker developed metastatic cancer by age 50. Pot has nothing to offer beyond morphine and Zofran, so why bother?

Pot is a big industry that wants free reign. That does not make it safe or effective for anyone.

Dr. Theodore Carl Houk, Baltimore

1) Four deaths from THC??? What's this about? Oh here it is from wiki (bolded mine):

There has never been a documented human fatality from overdosing on tetrahydrocannabinol or cannabis in its natural form, [23] though the synthetic THC pill Marinol was cited by the FDA as being responsible for 4 of the 11,687 deaths from 17 different FDA approved drugs between January 1, 1997 to June 30, 2005.

Yeah, that's right; Houk is referring to four Marinol deaths. What an idiot.

2) 3 elderly patients had hallucinations? Fine, so take them off just like you'd do any other medicine. (Although I wonder if these elderly patients had any guidance in using cannabis with a knowledgeable, experienced user...)

3) Houk would rather people take morphine and Zofran?? What the hell is the matter with this "doctor"???

Lots more goodies, so feel feel free to fisk more of Houk's lunatic ravings...

z

Letter in the Baltimore Sun. Full letter here.

1) Four deaths from THC??? What's this about? Oh here it is from wiki (bolded mine):

Yeah, that's right; Houk is referring to four Marinol deaths. What an idiot.

2) 3 elderly patients had hallucinations? Fine, so take them off just like you'd do any other medicine. (Although I wonder if these elderly patients had any guidance in using cannabis with a knowledgeable, experienced user...)

3) Houk would rather people take morphine and Zofran?? What the hell is the matter with this "doctor"???

Lots more goodies, so feel feel free to fisk more of Houk's lunatic ravings...

z

Im sure he gets "Incentives" for prescribing Big Pharmas poison. I have a friend that was a sales rep for Big Pharma. The doctor could care less what they prescribe. As long as there is a cabana in Tahiti attached to it. Medcnman.

"2) 3 elderly patients had hallucinations? Fine, so take them off just like you'd do any other medicine. (Although I wonder if these elderly patients had any guidance in using cannabis with a knowledgeable, experienced user...)"

Did they happen to mention a strain? :rolleyes:

What a crock of nonsense...

Cannabis - Plant, grown naturally.

Marinol - Ground up herb, extracted cannabis sativa, creates synthetic delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, combine with glycerin, gelatin, ion-oxide, titanium dioxide, et cetera.

Clearly, they cannot tell the difference.

One of my ailments from my b-12 anemia deficiency is vertigo. When I smoked "Sweet Cindy", created in Muskegon, one of the side effects was dizziness. I got dizzy and threw up from being dizzy. But I have yet to have that reaction with any other strain. I would love to see how they actually compiled these stupid results.

What kind of doctor would rather see a patient taking highly addictive narcotics than a naturally grown, non-addictive remedy (medical marijuana)? This guy deserves to be complain slapped and stripped of his license. He is obviously more concerned with pharma kickbacks than the welfare of patients.