Finding Seeds Or Clones Locally

b_ten_b

My wife and I have been cardholders since November and I'm donating now to another CG for overages but I'm putting my grow rooms together right now. I've talked to the CG at length about his growing process and I'm not all together comfortable getting a clone from him since he's told me that he clones from clones from clones. My wife has multiple sclerosis and both indicas and sativas help her. I'm very grateful for any information where I might be able to obtain some seeds or clones locally.

"I'm not all together comfortable getting a clone from him since he's told me that he clones from clones from clones"

Why? A LOT of people do this including me. Not everyone has room for mothers.

It assures me I will have females every time.

As far as seeds/clones go, get involved with your local compassion club. That's the safest bet imho.

I've talked to the CG at length about his growing process and I'm not all together comfortable getting a clone from him since he's told me that he clones from clones from clones.

I would suggest maybe joining a local compassion club and begin to network with other Cg's, or check out a Farmers Market if you can. As far as the quote up there, I had been worried about that very thing when I first started. But after a couple years of cloning from a clone, from a clone on my favorite strain I can say I haven't seen ANY ill effects

My understanding is that a clone is an exact copy of the original and a clone of that is another exact copy of the original. Its not like a copy machine where each copy is not an exact copy and therefore degrades with repeated copies. The only problem would be if you were working with a strain that didnt have stable genitics or you are taking clones from a sick plant. I have been working with good quality stock for years and have had no problems with many repeated clonings. Good genitics, good environment and good gardening skills are whats important. Try to find a local Compassion club and join up. Great place for help and friends

My wife and I have been cardholders since November and I'm donating now to another CG for overages but I'm putting my grow rooms together right now. I've talked to the CG at length about his growing process and I'm not all together comfortable getting a clone from him since he's told me that he clones from clones from clones. My wife has multiple sclerosis and both indicas and sativas help her. I'm very grateful for any information where I might be able to obtain some seeds or clones locally.

HI and welcome. I too have MS and use both. I clone from Mother's but when they get too big I have to bud them out after I take clones to make new mothers. So basically I am cloning from clones if you think of it that way. :) Unless you can grow outside I think most growers have to clone from clones or eventually that Mother is a big mother and must go to allow for some room.

Edit here- I would suggest you use clones to start off with because seeds can be so frustrating and they take a long time. If your wife likes what the Caregiver has I would say go for it with his clones.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies! I know that I came across the term genetic drift in one of the books that I read, but upon researching a little further, it seems to have mythical properties as many of you have alluded to. I'm wondering, if a clone comes from a well grown plant (meaning good process, potent, etc.), is then grown in non-optimal conditions (not terrible, just not as potent and dense), would that second generation be a suitable mother for clones that could turn out like the first generation?

I talked to an experienced grower the other day who told me that in his experience there will eventually be genetic mutations when cloning endlessly, even though he agrees that seems to go against common sense. He said it's happened to him. Are you guys saying this isn't true, that you've cloned endlessly without any problems? I'm a new grower and would like to know the truth on this one.

I talked to an experienced grower the other day who told me that in his experience there will eventually be genetic mutations when cloning endlessly, even though he agrees that seems to go against common sense. He said it's happened to him. Are you guys saying this isn't true, that you've cloned endlessly without any problems? I'm a new grower and would like to know the truth on this one.

They will eventually mutate out or lose potency or be highly susceptible to disease. Best to have a mother and take clones from it.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies! I know that I came across the term genetic drift in one of the books that I read, but upon researching a little further, it seems to have mythical properties as many of you have alluded to. I'm wondering, if a clone comes from a well grown plant (meaning good process, potent, etc.), is then grown in non-optimal conditions (not terrible, just not as potent and dense), would that second generation be a suitable mother for clones that could turn out like the first generation?

Yes lots of trial and error but you'll get it.

They will eventually mutate out or lose potency or be highly susceptible to disease. Best to have a mother and take clones from it.

I disagree with with the mutate part, and think that maybee disease or just another mistake, is wrongly interpreted as mutation.

Two of my favotite strains are clones of clones and sprouted (of course somewhere it was legal) over 12 years ago.Both are exactly the same now as they were then.

Also, it seems to me that a vigorously growing plant would have better disease resistance than an old mother. With age comes ph, nutrient and other issues.

Always clone the healthiest specimen.

Avoid cloning anything that has ever wilted or otherwise been compromised.

With clean techniques and good luck I think you could clone indefinitely

Just my observations and opinion.

R

I disagree with with the mutate part, and think that maybee disease or just another mistake, is wrongly interpreted as mutation.

Two of my favotite strains are clones of clones and sprouted (of course somewhere it was legal) over 12 years ago.Both are exactly the same now as they were then.

Also, it seems to me that a vigorously growing plant would have better disease resistance than an old mother. With age comes ph, nutrient and other issues.

Always clone the healthiest specimen.

Avoid cloning anything that has ever wilted or otherwise been compromised.

With clean techniques and good luck I think you could clone indefinitely

Just my observations and opinion.

R

Just passing on what I learned from a seasoned outdoor and indoor grower. Only been doing this for a few years, knock on wood, have not any problems come up. The mothers aren't that old before I take clones from them and let me bud out, the space is too limited. I would imagine if they got older like us heck problems come up 10 fold. :)

All the legendary strains are clone from clone from clone from clone. There is absolutely no problem taking clone from clone. Mothers will produce more clones and work well with higher plant counts, that is why they are used instead of other small clones.

The potency lose myth comes from indoor seed grows. If plants are left to random pollination, potency will be lost by the fourth generation on average according to studies sited in Mel Franks grow book.

yes please keep in mind most of this is hear say..... just one example....tga...subcool...agent orange, dairy queen, querkle....on and on...you get the point big time breeder been doing it longer than any of us.... he takes clones right be4 he flowers the plant. none of those strains are bred using moms....he talkes a clone from a cloone from a clone.... the gen drift is moo poo. take good healthy clones from a good healthy plant...u get what u started with. all those clone only strains are not from some mystical moms hiding some where to bless us all with her babies....take good clones u get good plants...clone from a stressed sick plant...

yes please keep in mind most of this is hear say..... just one example....tga...subcool...agent orange, dairy queen, querkle....on and on...you get the point big time breeder been doing it longer than any of us.... he takes clones right be4 he flowers the plant. none of those strains are bred using moms....he talkes a clone from a cloone from a clone.... the gen drift is moo poo. take good healthy clones from a good healthy plant...u get what u started with. all those clone only strains are not from some mystical moms hiding some where to bless us all with her babies....take good clones u get good plants...clone from a stressed sick plant...

TGA farmed out all his projects to other growers,thus he never possesed the male from most of his projects,which is what good breeders do.They keep the boy and the girl going.Thats why there is Jacks Cleaner 1 and 2 and (bx)

Clones from clones having been going on successfully for decades on the west coast.20 year Ibl are not uncommon.

I am trying to learn how to keep mother plants and its not as easy as it sounds,smaller containers and low light levels seem to be the way to go.When i get more room,I'm gonna try it.

Keep up the good work GW

Archived