Weed Busts Blowing Up For Police

The number of arrests is up for those illegally possessing marijuana

Read more: Local, Crime, News, Marijuana, Marijuana Possession,Weed, Marijuana Arrests, Marijuana Card, Medical Marijuana, Michigan Medical Marijuana, Marihuana, Michigan State Police, HST, Homeland Security Team, Drug, Drug Busts, Drugs, I 75, Drug Busts on Highway,Michigan Medical Marijuana Act, Medical Marijuana Card, Law,Michigan Law, Andrew Keller, 7&4 News<br style="line-height: 16px; "><br style="line-height: 16px; ">

keyframe91(5).jpg?w=204&h=153&aspect=nostretch

GAYLORD, MI -- Michigan State Police are calling it an epidemic.

The number of people being arrested for illegally trafficking marijuana has dramatically increased so far this year compared to last.

We talked to troopers Wednesday to see what is behind the trend.

Michigan State Police Gaylord Post has a special unit to watch trunk lines, like I-75, and stop drug runners. The unit has uncovered a growing trend, and that’s medical marijuana cards being used as a front more and more.

"Distribution is a real issue right now. They’re carrying cards, but they're carrying a lot more marijuana then they would be to give to chronically ill patients, in my opinion, it's become a real problem," said Sgt. Jeff Gorno of MSP Gaylord Post.

Year to date, 87 have been arrested for transporting marijuana illegally. Last year at this point, the number was 25. Police say it’s the age of those being arrested that’s concerning, most are 20 and 30 year olds, who are on their way to places like college campuses.

Troopers believe some are going out of bounds when they apply for and receive their medical marijuana card. They’re using it for reasons that weren't necessarily the reasons the law passed in the first place. They believe that I-75 is being used to create a pretty lucrative business for some who have the card and for others who want to smoke weed.

“It's also giving the person that doesn't have a medical marijuana card direct access to marijuana, so it's becoming an epidemic," said Gorno.

Gorno said there are people who use the card legitimately, but the people his team is picking up are abusing the system for personal gain.

“Did we ever have a complete handle on marijuana distribution, probably not, but at least we were in the battle, you know, this has just caused us to maybe even go further behind," says Gorno.

Gorno says most of the people being arrested claim to have the medical marijuana card for "chronic pain" in the shoulder, on the knee.

But he believes the law was passed for people with more serious conditions, like those who have cancer or are terminally ill.

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?list=~%5Chome%5Clists%5Csearch&id=730402#.T2JzqVFMj8s

Gorno says most of the people being arrested claim to have the medical marijuana card for "chronic pain" in the shoulder, on the knee.

But he believes the law was passed for people with more serious conditions, like those who have cancer or are terminally ill.

I don't give a rats behind what he believes. Opinions are like belly buttons.

What a crock. Why are they even wasting their time and our money? We just need to legalize the plant. Why don't they go after dangerous drugs like alcohol that are killing people ?

I guess he's Dr. God, and he gets to decide who is sick enough to use their cards. I have an idea, Don't worry about it and then you wouldn't be behind on abusing patients.

It is hard LEO is usually healthy so they don't really understand our severe chronic conditions that cant' be solved . They also do profit and so do black market folk . They need to realize Citizens said enough is enough stop being suspicious and hurting patients . We need to heal and bring all parties together again .

Disease and injury knows no age limit . I worry the most about young men and women in their 20's loosing educational and work access . We need law to help them and it will benefit all of us . Walmart should not have been able to fired Joe Casias especially after he offered to quit the program to continue to work . It should not of arrested Bob and Torrey nor our friend with the loose roof up North and many others . It will take time for change to occur .

As much as people complain about him were lucky to have a President that admitted to personal use that takes guts . Republicans are in conrol of the House and Senate . There isn't much support for reform in key positions on commitee's . You would think they would of sent Frank and Paul off by passing their Cannabis Bill allowing for legal tax treatment and legal protections for the sick , suffering and dieing finnly . What is happening is unjust and wrong people dragging this on are making things worse dividing society . Proponants want choice nobody has to participate and cannabis users have always existed nothing new is happening .

Distribution is a real issue right now. They’re carrying cards, but they're carrying a lot more marijuana then they would be to give to chronically ill patients, in my opinion, it's become a real problem," said Sgt. Jeff Gorno of MSP Gaylord Post.

PROPAGANDA AND LIES!!!!!! :growl:

Who is he to determine how much medicine anyone needs hes not in the position to judge anyones medical needs and if there is an increase in arrest for trafficking its because they are arresting legal cardholders and nullifying the laws protections thus making someone who is legal a criminal .

Draconian creeps like this Leo thinks he knows what terminally patients need to control their pain and its quite clear to us that some cancer patients use a lot of medicine so bringing someone two and a half ounces each visit is not that unusual.. :thumbsd:

It is hard LEO is usually healthy so they don't really understand our severe chronic conditions that cant' be solved . They also do profit and so do black market folk . They need to realize Citizens said enough is enough stop being suspicious and hurting patients . We need to heal and bring all parties together again .

Disease and injury knows no age limit . I worry the most about young men and women in their 20's loosing educational and work access . We need law to help them and it will benefit all of us . Walmart should not have been able to fired Joe Casias especially after he offered to quit the program to continue to work . It should not of arrested Bob and Torrey nor our friend with the loose roof up North and many others . It will take time for change to occur .

As much as people complain about him were lucky to have a President that admitted to personal use that takes guts . Republicans are in conrol of the House and Senate . There isn't much support for reform in key positions on commitee's . You would think they would of sent Frank and Paul off by passing their Cannabis Bill allowing for legal tax treatment and legal protections for the sick , suffering and dieing finnly . What is happening is unjust and wrong people dragging this on are making things worse dividing society . Proponants want choice nobody has to participate and cannabis users have always existed nothing new is happening .

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/obamas-war-on-pot-20120216

Talk is cheap with BHO,IMO.

http://www.rollingst...on-pot-20120216

Talk is cheap with BHO,IMO.

I agree to a point and have read this article many times . Even worse is some of the words and body language he has displayed when pressed but with 30% of voters very opposed to medical cannabis and even more when pressed on realities like working and driving he is in a impossible situation . He truly has little to do with policy but the article points out he must speak out for choice and I would agree and pray it happens . It is common sense he must be re elected first . I believe Romney will consider Santorum for VP . If Obama wins a second term he will be free to speak his mind if not were all at risk and better pray were not on lists that reflect distribution . For as we know as zero tolerance and testing has been passed without objection just having a plant growing is now enough to be convicted of manafaturing and distribution whether a sale ever occured or not . The discrimination just knows no bounds against cannabis users . The penalties are inline with manslaughter even First Degree murder in Oklahoma . Someone selling $20 worth of Hash can get life .

I hope Obama mans up after November like he did admitting to use and stands up for a end to the oppression . He may need a little prodding . I wish someone would make a film called 100 reasons to legalize marihuana and why some say medical marijuana has never been legal yet . One where they highlighted 100 patient or swat raid related deaths from prohibition . The news interview of Mr Argo would be a great candidate for the 100 th patient to loose their life . Marilyn Holsten should be in there too and a few officers shot by people thinking swat raids were home invasions . I think there is a man on trial in Louisiana for this now and there were no drugs at the location . People can't destroy plants as evidence they either have septic tanks or the cops can close off drains there is never a reason to do a swat raid on a patient or even a Citizen when only cannabis is involved . Small amounts of narcotics are not important enough for the risks either .

If you dont' support Obama and stay on him to help you will see Romney or Santorum with their views which are very negative . Santorum has stated he would shut Medical Cannabis down as a moral issue of weakness that is unnecessary . He believes the lies having been taught them and wrongly assumes his God forbids use . The truth is God gave this gift to help those whom can't otherwise be helped by man . Many people use cannabis wisely for benefit of function and comfort . I do think it would help our movement to do press releases discouraging recreational use among youths . Some groups do just that just like some have adopted stretches of highway to clear of litter on annual commitments .

We all do what we can even if its just jotting down thoughts on message board or holding a patients hand having a panic attack , broken from the strain of possible arrests for technicalities , in withdrawal or dieing . God Bless .

Only 20% of rapes result in arrest. 63% of us. Does that sound fair. Does that sound like the governments priority is screwed up?

Here's one for ya bro, back in ytk I went to jail for a year and halph. Doesn't really matter why, but anyways there was a guy in there with 9 month sentance. This guy ran a day care were he molested kids. He got 9 months. Does that sound like justice. O he also got to have his sentace shortand for some bs class. So he really only did 6 months.

We used to scape the scum off the inside of the toilets and put it in his coffie when he left it unitended.

I agree to a point and have read this article many times . Even worse is some of the words and body language he has displayed when pressed but with 30% of voters very opposed to medical cannabis and even more when pressed on realities like working and driving he is in a impossible situation . He truly has little to do with policy but the article points out he must speak out for choice and I would agree and pray it happens . It is common sense he must be re elected first . I believe Romney will consider Santorum for VP . If Obama wins a second term he will be free to speak his mind if not were all at risk and better pray were not on lists that reflect distribution . For as we know as zero tolerance and testing has been passed without objection just having a plant growing is now enough to be convicted of manafaturing and distribution whether a sale ever occured or not . The discrimination just knows no bounds against cannabis users . The penalties are inline with manslaughter even First Degree murder in Oklahoma . Someone selling $20 worth of Hash can get life .

I hope Obama mans up after November like he did admitting to use and stands up for a end to the oppression . He may need a little prodding . I wish someone would make a film called 100 reasons to legalize marihuana and why some say medical marijuana has never been legal yet . One where they highlighted 100 patient or swat raid related deaths from prohibition . The news interview of Mr Argo would be a great candidate for the 100 th patient to loose their life . Marilyn Holsten should be in there too and a few officers shot by people thinking swat raids were home invasions . I think there is a man on trial in Louisiana for this now and there were no drugs at the location . People can't destroy plants as evidence they either have septic tanks or the cops can close off drains there is never a reason to do a swat raid on a patient or even a Citizen when only cannabis is involved . Small amounts of narcotics are not important enough for the risks either .

If you dont' support Obama and stay on him to help you will see Romney or Santorum with their views which are very negative . Santorum has stated he would shut Medical Cannabis down as a moral issue of weakness that is unnecessary . He believes the lies having been taught them and wrongly assumes his God forbids use . The truth is God gave this gift to help those whom can't otherwise be helped by man . Many people use cannabis wisely for benefit of function and comfort . I do think it would help our movement to do press releases discouraging recreational use among youths . Some groups do just that just like some have adopted stretches of highway to clear of litter on annual commitments .

We all do what we can even if its just jotting down thoughts on message board or holding a patients hand having a panic attack , broken from the strain of possible arrests for technicalities , in withdrawal or dieing . God Bless .

Im writing Paul in at least I will know my hands and heart wont be dirty. I flipping cant stand BHO or any of the repubs offered up to me,big deal BHO admitted to smoking a J doesn't mean a thing to me when the arrests are up. I wonder when ppl are going to WAKE up and see both parties are are really just one fat party and the joke is on us. I'm ill at how gullible we are I want to puke that we are in such a trance with either party. I cant understand why aren't we holding GWB for war crimes?Why did we let BC lie under oath doesn't that mean Any Thing anymore?Why aren't we impeaching BHO?? What is the matter with us?

There are tens of millions who are fooled by BOTH parties, spewing their partisan crap. How many have kept their campaign promises once elected? In either party? Next to none. Yet, we are told we must support whomever a particular party nominates. Ron Paul is a rare exception, and that's one reason I support him- he never makes campaign promises that he doesn't intend to keep, and he refuses to vote for debt limit increases or assaults on our liberty. The vast majority of these clowns in both parties are out for themselves and their fat cat friends, and will tell any lie they think is necessary to get elected. Santorum, Romney, Gingrich and Obama don't give a darn about Liberty- if they did, they would never have supported the Patriot Act or the National Defense Authorization Act, which allows the U.S. military to indefinitely detain an American citizen with no charge, no trial and no oversight whatsoever. The Obama regime has already used that act to justify the murder of citizens! People are slowly waking up- RP has basically doubled his votes and campaign contributions from '08 to '12. But far too many are still believing the BS. We can only hope that America wakes up before we become Greece, or worse.

Here's one for ya bro, back in ytk I went to jail for a year and halph. Doesn't really matter why, but anyways there was a guy in there with 9 month sentance. This guy ran a day care were he molested kids. He got 9 months. Does that sound like justice. O he also got to have his sentace shortand for some bs class. So he really only did 6 months.

We used to scape the scum off the inside of the toilets and put it in his coffie when he left it unitended.

i read the paper every day here in indiana

1) you have crack heads getting 10 years for $10 buys and $20 sales or just buying all the time

2) you big dealers, pleading who own 10 cars and get less time

3) you have murders getting less time someone with $10 heroin

it really sad place when some stupid kid gets hooked and then gets 10 years for selling dime bags to his friend.

The saddest story, is I remember this girls face from softball tourney when my daughter was in late teens. Doll was her last name - i am pretty sure - the name caught my attention. She was portage i think?

She was at a house (wrong place at the wrong time) and some black drug dealer (not to be racist) came in some white dudes house (petty dealer) who was small time dealer and wasted them all execution styple. They found the footprints and everything it ended in mistrial.

Three black dudes came in with AK's, and more - and blasted them all! Where is the justice? OMG this bothers me, i had forgoten it for a while. I will never forget that girls face. I saw her back, it said doll, she turned towards me with her friends. wow

He had 3 of them on the floor and popped them in the head, there was 5, one hid in closet. One lived but got shot.

The 3 where just there to hang out and party - what waste good kids going to school. Gets popped by gangbanger and there is no news story or nothing.

Where is the national outrage - this was clearly racial.

I can still picture that girl after 4-5 years - it bothers me often.

leaglize it and tax it - there is 3 lives saved! makes my cry

Im writing Paul in at least I will know my hands and heart wont be dirty. I flipping cant stand BHO or any of the repubs offered up to me,big deal BHO admitted to smoking a J doesn't mean a thing to me when the arrests are up. I wonder when ppl are going to WAKE up and see both parties are are really just one fat party and the joke is on us. I'm ill at how gullible we are I want to puke that we are in such a trance with either party. I cant understand why aren't we holding GWB for war crimes?Why did we let BC lie under oath doesn't that mean Any Thing anymore?Why aren't we impeaching BHO?? What is the matter with us?

There are tens of millions who are fooled by BOTH parties, spewing their partisan crap. How many have kept their campaign promises once elected? In either party? Next to none. Yet, we are told we must support whomever a particular party nominates. Ron Paul is a rare exception, and that's one reason I support him- he never makes campaign promises that he doesn't intend to keep, and he refuses to vote for debt limit increases or assaults on our liberty. The vast majority of these clowns in both parties are out for themselves and their fat cat friends, and will tell any lie they think is necessary to get elected. Santorum, Romney, Gingrich and Obama don't give a darn about Liberty- if they did, they would never have supported the Patriot Act or the National Defense Authorization Act, which allows the U.S. military to indefinitely detain an American citizen with no charge, no trial and no oversight whatsoever. The Obama regime has already used that act to justify the murder of citizens! People are slowly waking up- RP has basically doubled his votes and campaign contributions from '08 to '12. But far too many are still believing the BS. We can only hope that America wakes up before we become Greece, or worse.

Exactly, it's no wonder their is a revolution brewing. (Some are not asleep)

What does their race have to do with anything? Whether they were white, black.or.Chinese shouldn't change the fact that people who murder other people need to be punished.

People who are murdered by other people need our prayers.

i read the paper every day here in indiana

1) you have crack heads getting 10 years for $10 buys and $20 sales or just buying all the time

2) you big dealers, pleading who own 10 cars and get less time

3) you have murders getting less time someone with $10 heroin

it really sad place when some stupid kid gets hooked and then gets 10 years for selling dime bags to his friend.

The saddest story, is I remember this girls face from softball tourney when my daughter was in late teens. Doll was her last name - i am pretty sure - the name caught my attention. She was portage i think?

She was at a house (wrong place at the wrong time) and some black drug dealer (not to be racist) came in some white dudes house (petty dealer) who was small time dealer and wasted them all execution styple. They found the footprints and everything it ended in mistrial.

Three black dudes came in with AK's, and more - and blasted them all! Where is the justice? OMG this bothers me, i had forgoten it for a while. I will never forget that girls face. I saw her back, it said doll, she turned towards me with her friends. wow

He had 3 of them on the floor and popped them in the head, there was 5, one hid in closet. One lived but got shot.

The 3 where just there to hang out and party - what waste good kids going to school. Gets popped by gangbanger and there is no news story or nothing.

Where is the national outrage - this was clearly racial.

I can still picture that girl after 4-5 years - it bothers me often.

leaglize it and tax it - there is 3 lives saved! makes my cry

First, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart, I think you have some great ideas. we must do something besides sit around and talk about it. We must take some action or we can just wait around for the politicians to do their thing.

Second, could we (the MMMA) make such a film? I'm sure the talent and the facts are all in place in our house!

Thanks crop, I was so down earlier and I feel much better now. And thank you for putting your ideas out there, I appreciated it .

Only 20% of rapes result in arrest. 63% of us. Does that sound fair. Does that sound like the governments priority is screwed up?

We the people should also know that there are approximately 800,000 rape kits sitting in evidence rooms at this moment waiting to be tested but can't due to lack of money. This should answer your question as to the governments priorities. This is a fact that was presented on the ABC World News this past fall.

“It's also giving the person that doesn't have a medical marijuana card direct access to marijuana, so it's becoming an epidemic," said Gorno.

yup... not everyone under the sun smoked prior to the medical laws... indeed, the state laws are making people smoke... it's an epidemic. lol

Gorno said there are people who use the card legitimately, but the people his team is picking up are abusing the system for personal gain.

how about personal protection from the draconian style laws relating to cannabis...? is that an abuse... not wanting to go to jail for smoking the herb?

“Did we ever have a complete handle on marijuana distribution, probably not, but at least we were in the battle, you know, this has just caused us to maybe even go further behind," says Gorno.

just give it up... the war they want to perpetuate... just not sustainable. it's a war against the freedoms & civil rights of the people. just give it up brah... just give it up.

Archived