Tuesdays Hearings

Guest zigg01

The bill was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee by a 3-0 vote

LANSING – People suffering from glaucoma would no longer be allowed to legally use marijuana to treat the condition according to a bill that cleared a state Senate committee on Tuesday.

But medical marijuana advocates say the drug helps slow symptoms of the eye condition and possibly prevent or delay blindness.

The bill, supported by several doctors and medical associations, was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee by a 3-0 vote, with Sen. Steve Bieda, D-Warren, passing.

Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said he sponsored the bill because physicians said marijuana use neither increases the benefits of medication nor does it ease the risks association with the condition, which leads to damage of the optic nerve and is a leading cause of blindness.

Jones said blindness is “horrible,” but he said glaucoma is not painful and he worries that people will not use prescribed medication in favor of marijuana and their condition would worsen.

The bill would remove glaucoma from the list of debilitating conditions for which a person could apply for use of medical marijuana. Fewer than 500 of the 130,000 people signed up to use marijuana listed glaucoma as the reason for its use.

A University of Michigan ophthalmologist testified that using the drug might relieve pressure on the optic nerve for about three hours, and that a person would need to smoke 3,000 marijuana cigarettes to ease the condition around the clock.

Oakland University ophthalmology professor Timothy Page said he once diagnosed a patient with glaucoma and was surprised to see the man excited because he could legally use marijuana.

Medical marijuana advocate Daniel Solano of Detroit said there is a fear that lawmakers who oppose legal uses for the drug will chip away at its use by eliminating one condition at a time.

Solano said sick people will seek out the drug, and removing it from the medical marijuana law will expose them to danger as they seek to obtain it through illegal means.

“It is unacceptable,” he said. “I cannot see any value in seeing sick people put in prison or jail for using a medicine that has never killed anybody, is benign, and has been proven to help patients.”

But glaucoma suffers they believe the marijuana helps.

“Please help me save my eyesight,” said Barbara Knox of Novi, who said she inhales the drug in a vapor form in addition to her prescription medications. “If you had my eyes, would you do anything to prevent blindness?”

Whitney Hickman of the Newyago County Compassion Club, said in written testimony that pharmaceutical medications are more likely to cause adverse reactions, side effects and risk of blindness than cannabis.

“I, as a medical marijuana patient, would much rather ‘suffer’ from euphoria than the symptoms listed above. While I was researching Glaucoma, I could not find any information from the medical community explaining why euphoria is a bad thing.”

Beida said after the session that he wasn’t ready to vote because wanted to ask his personal ophthalmologist about the disease and treatment.

Now That makes total sense!

Edited by Hempcheff

Whitney Hickman of the Newyago County Compassion Club, said in written testimony that pharmaceutical medications are more likely to cause adverse reactions, side effects and risk of blindness than cannabis.

“I, as a medical marijuana patient, would much rather ‘suffer’ from euphoria than the symptoms listed above. While I was researching Glaucoma, I could not find any information from the medical community explaining why euphoria is a bad thing.”

I appreciated that the took the only semi-sarcastic statement I made in my whole 9 page report and used that. ;)

It's absolutely sickening. A study with 11 patients that smoked 2% THC and/or THC laced cigarettes and because the medical community backs that study and because the medical community has invested almost $50,000 in campaign contributions to the committee... it is passed on. Absurd.

LANSING – People suffering from glaucoma would no longer be allowed to legally use marijuana to treat the condition according to a bill that cleared a state Senate committee on Tuesday.

The bill was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee by a 3-0 vote, with Sen. Steve Bieda, D-Warren, passing.

Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said he sponsored the bill

assuming this was sb 977, which senators voted for it?

If they wanted to help patients they could educate program participants about the benefits of using cannabis with current FDA medications adjunctively especially ones involving glaucoma. The number one benefit of cannabis for many besides adding to comfort for is the increased toleration of FDA medication involving many disease and injury states It is also helpful in motivating patients to focus on and handle simple daily tasks like taking medications , grooming and bathing . They may actually be reducing the number of patients that will be able to comply with their goal . Further studies done outside of the USA that has been mired in prohibition maybe be more impartial . "The Bottom line truly is should Jones and the legislature be choosing what medication Glaucoma patients take ? Some people have different responces to medications ( side effects ) and all viable legal alternatives which medical cannabis is : should be avialable for adjunctive or solo use .

From Wikipedia :

glaucoma, cannabis and THC have been shown to reduce intra-ocular pressure (IOP) by an average of 24% in people with normal IOP who have visual-field changes. In studies of healthy adults and glaucoma patients, IOP was reduced by an average of 25% after smoking a cannabis "cigarette" that contained approximately 2% THC—a reduction as good as that observed with most other medications available today, according to a review by the institute of Medicine" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_of_Medicine">Institute of Medicine.<55]

In a separate study, the use of cannabis and glaucoma was tested and found that the duration of smoked or ingested cannabis or other cannabinoids is very short, averaging 3 to 3.5 hours. Their results showed that for cannabis to be a viable therapy, the patient would have to take in cannabis in some form every 3 hours. They said that for ideal glaucoma treatment it would take two times a day at most for compliance purposes from patients. 56]

My link

Edited by Croppled1

This is the committee link they said Jones and there were two other Republicans . Bieda the lone Democrat abstained . . Now it goes to the floor so contact your Senator and the 38 others if you so choose . I feel for the 500 who would loose the freedom to choose a alternative that reduces pain from the occular pressure Doctors cannot feel themselves . A choice that may have few side effects compared to other choices based on individual response . If just one person ended up in jail due to civil disobedience feeling they could not live without cannabis for treatment what did the State gain from this ? How often does Government choose ones treatment regardless of a individuals desire and personal belief ?

http://www.senate.mi.../judiciary.shtm

Edited by Croppled1

Guest zigg01

That is one of the conditions in the medical marijuana act I thought they need a super majority in the house to open up the law.

Opps my bad that was just the first stage now it goes to the house.I dont no polics that much.I just know we the people need to take our country back.We need to go and drag them out of office throw them in the streat and tell them they are fired.

I appreciated that the took the only semi-sarcastic statement I made in my whole 9 page report and used that. ;)

It's absolutely sickening. A study with 11 patients that smoked 2% THC and/or THC laced cigarettes and because the medical community backs that study and because the medical community has invested almost $50,000 in campaign contributions to the committee... it is passed on. Absurd.

The expert Doctors were from the U of Michigan and U of Oakland both having policies in Departments against medical use , recommendations and adjunctive care despite being State Institutions . Use is banned on campus's . The vote was straight Republican at the committee level . No other Country or State has ever pursued this to my knowledge our side is only asking for freedom to use cannabis as a choice and in combination with other medications where ever it may assist someone . They seek to push people into felony misalignments with Law .

These same individuals say Obamacare is illegal because State Rights trump Federal but when it comes to Cannabis they flip . Schuette actually is party to a lawsuit in Florida showing he takes both sides on State versus Federal rights when it suits his needs . Meanwhile patients whom were suffering are scared but comfortable for the most part if they can afford or find a way without job opportunities to maintain a non interrupted supply . That is one of the major obstacles right now for Lansing figuring out what to do with so many individuals deemed unfit to work . Foolish when before drug testing nobody cared and people were kept in employment based on their contributions not their medications and personal lifestyle choices were respected as private .

Can you imagine not one legislator has been publically concerned about the cancer project having non interrupted supply for Simpson or other oils and getting it out to hospice and or stage 3 and up cancer or other terminal patients . They don't understand the need for this for people with severe intractable pain that can not be treated conventionally and causes suicide every day in our Country . It is very sad many people won't even try this therapy that really need it because of discrimination predjudice and confusion surrounding the false claims this is not medicinal made by politicians like Bill Schuette and his followers . Maybe they need to read the Israeli and Spanish medical reports . Cannabis has been used in Asian medicine for 5000 years .

Edited by Croppled1

He's made himself a joke thats for sure but his rants and actions are still putting the sick at risk. It made it to the floor but I don't think they'll be seeing the 2/3rd vote they will need to change it. Not with all the hell we been giving them. They remember very well the 5000 people we put on that lawn and that has them dam worried. If we do nothing and don't keep them under the gun they will gut this law period. Keep those emails going and make those phone calls. If we have to put more sick folks on that lawn then get the gas in the car folks cuz without you standing up for yourselves then they will surely run you right over.

Putting sick people in jail is flat sick to say the least but as you can see, some of them want to do just that......

The state site shows that sb977 on 3/22/2012-REPORTED FAVORABLY WITH SUBSTITUTE S-1. Any idea what S-1 is?

The fiscal analyst says it's not clear whether the revenue lost would exceed the savings. Of course it would! This bill is bad for the state, bad for patients, and only good for LE.

Which 3 senators voted for this?

Senators Jones, Schuitmaker and Rocca

COMMITTEE ATTENDANCE REPORT

The Committee on Judiciary submitted the following:

Meeting held on Tuesday, March 20, 2012, at 2:30 p.m., Room 110, Farnum Building

Present: Senators Jones ( C), Schuitmaker, Rocca and Bieda