Michigan Senate Bill Would Prohibit Using Medical Marijuana To Treat Glaucoma

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/03/michigan_senate_bill_would_pro.html

LANSING – People suffering from glaucoma would no longer be allowed to legally use marijuana to treat the condition according to a bill that cleared a state Senate committee on Tuesday.

But medical marijuana advocates say the drug helps slow symptoms of the eye condition and possibly prevent or delay blindness.

The bill, supported by several doctors and medical associations, was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee by a 3-0 vote, with Sen. Steve Bieda, D-Warren, passing.

Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said he sponsored the bill because physicians said marijuana use neither increases the benefits of medication nor does it ease the risks association with the condition, which leads to damage of the optic nerve and is a leading cause of blindness.

Jones said blindness is “horrible,” but he said glaucoma is not painful and he worries that people will not use prescribed medication in favor of marijuana and their condition would worsen.

The bill would remove glaucoma from the list of debilitating conditions for which a person could apply for use of medical marijuana. Fewer than 500 of the 130,000 people signed up to use marijuana listed glaucoma as the reason for its use.

A University of Michigan ophthalmologist testified that using the drug might relieve pressure on the optic nerve for about three hours, and that a person would need to smoke 3,000 marijuana cigarettes to ease the condition around the clock.

Oakland University ophthalmology professor Timothy Page said he once diagnosed a patient with glaucoma and was surprised to see the man excited because he could legally use marijuana.

Medical marijuana advocate Daniel Solano of Detroit said there is a fear that lawmakers who oppose legal uses for the drug will chip away at its use by eliminating one condition at a time.

Solano said sick people will seek out the drug, and removing it from the medical marijuana law will expose them to danger as they seek to obtain it through illegal means.

“It is unacceptable,” he said. “I cannot see any value in seeing sick people put in prison or jail for using a medicine that has never killed anybody, is benign, and has been proven to help patients.”

But glaucoma suffers they believe the marijuana helps.

“Please help me save my eyesight,” said Barbara Knox of Novi, who said she inhales the drug in a vapor form in addition to her prescription medications. “If you had my eyes, would you do anything to prevent blindness?”

Whitney Hickman of the Newyago County Compassion Club, said in written testimony that pharmaceutical medications are more likely to cause adverse reactions, side effects and risk of blindness than cannabis.

“I, as a medical marijuana patient, would much rather ‘suffer’ from euphoria than the symptoms listed above. While I was researching Glaucoma, I could not find any information from the medical community explaining why euphoria is a bad thing.”

Beida said after the session that he wasn’t ready to vote because wanted to ask his personal ophthalmologist about the disease and treatment.

This is how sick the crap has gotten. Ya cant ad a condition cause they refuse to implement the law but they want to pull the one that's been used the most over the years. Just shows you how sick minded these muffin makers really are. Lord how the heck did these knotheads get in office to begin with ?????? :growl: :growl:

The 5th paragraph says it all. Jones said blindness is "horrible". But he said glaucoma is not painful and he worries that "PEOPLE WILL NOT USE PRESCRIBED MEDICATION IN FAVOR OF MARIJUANA" and their conditions COULD worsen". The word "COULD" just screams out in this article. Doesnt mean it will. Doesnt mean it wont. More proof that big pharma is lurking behind these bills! Medcnman.

So am I now a criminal because I use cannabis for Glaucoma related pain?! If they want outlaws, then so be it!!

But.. But... Our Senator said there was no pain involved with glaucoma. And he should know because he knows a couple opthomologists! Medcnman.

I'm more and more feeling like every plant I grow, every bowl I smoke or vape, every person I help obtain this medicine is truly a critical act of non-violent civil disobedience. How can these folks accuse 'us,' the medical marijuana community of abusing this law? I think we need a wheelchair brigade, at least 50 strong, to roll onto the capital lawn and light up and dare the authorities to arrest you for it. Hell, let's take it one step further, another several thousand strong protest on the capital lawn with everyone lighting up. Overwhelm the system and bring it down. Force the media to display the lawmakers contempt for democracy and human rights.

I'm steaming mad. If they can be this openly contemptuous of the law, why should we be held to any higher standard?!?!

:growl::sword::growl::sword:

You should be steaming mad, every dam one of us should be going flat off. This goes way beyond just our law this is tyranny treason at it's finest. Sick part is it's against SICK people. TELL MY DIEING BRAIN CANCER PATIENT THAT I'M HELPING THAT SHE'S A POTHEAD. Sick basterds :growl: :growl:

I'm more and more feeling like every plant I grow, every bowl I smoke or vape, every person I help obtain this medicine is truly a critical act of non-violent civil disobedience. How can these folks accuse 'us,' the medical marijuana community of abusing this law? I think we need a wheelchair brigade, at least 50 strong, to roll onto the capital lawn and light up and dare the authorities to arrest you for it. Hell, let's take it one step further, another several thousand strong protest on the capital lawn with everyone lighting up. Overwhelm the system and bring it down. Force the media to display the lawmakers contempt for democracy and human rights.

I'm steaming mad. If they can be this openly contemptuous of the law, why should we be held to any higher standard?!?!

:growl::sword::growl::sword:

Thanks for your post LAC, I too am ticked off at the total lack of compassion shown by those sworn to serve us, paid by us. You know the term, of the people, by the people, for the people - it's a joke! These representative should take the initiative to get educated concerning MMJ. No, we should be sending them educational emails with short educational video's attached. "Reefer Madness" has brainwashed more than a generation of us, what a shame!

I think you have a point, a point that should be acted on. I'd love to see how they handle the processing of 5 or 10 thousand patients. I believe that it would bring the system to a complete halt. This should not only be done at the Capitol, but in each county seat as well, one at a time. We should organize a protest to do exactly that, every single MMMP card/paper holder on the front lawn in wheel chairs, death beds, walkers what ever, a civil disobedience in a grand scale if you will. Let's overwhelm the system. I would use the hair washing approach, wash, rinse and repeat until we get all dirt cleaned out.

Lastly, how does Mr. Jones square with the federal MMJ program, aren't most of them glaucoma patients?

But.. But... Our Senator said there was no pain involved with glaucoma. And he should know because he knows a couple opthomologists! Medcnman.

The motivation of Jones is obvious . He is one of the most discriminatory individuals on the hill . If he was thinking clearly and wanted to help patients it would be through spending program funds to educate the 500 patients . Patients who are protected now . Educational materials should encourage FDA medication be used with cannabis not deny it with all this cost to try to do so . For most individuals medical cannabis helps with the ability to tolerate the negative side effects of FDA medications while reducing pain and suffering .

.It has to cost at least $70,000 per year to gather evidence , try and convict a patient with incarceration under Felony cutivation . Most individuals loose their homes , jobs , insurance and even spouses . Family units are broken up . I fail to see how Mr Jones is helping these patients improve their patient outcomes . Everyone knows cannabis is a huge reliever of nueropathic pain the occular pressure may cause in pain sensitive individuals .

Not meaning to be rude but is this really a priority in Eaton County and the State ? Why has Jones not demanded the law be implemented as originally written ? Why have no new conditions been added ? They have taken in over 10 million dollars now and still can't print cards within the required time ,or answer phone calls in real time or at all in some cases .

On the bright side (although this has little brightness to it,) Jones can no longer argue that he is only trying to address abuses of the medical marijuana system rather than trying to overturn the will of the voters. The fact that has proposed a bill to eliminate protection from a group of patients that the citizens of MI overwhelmingly and explicitly approved in 2008 shows that his interest isn't in addressing abuses, but lies in gutting this law and throwing patients in jail.

If they do not want us using medical cannabis then I say they finance my pain meds for the rest of my life without interruption or question.

My conditions are clear and will not be cured! So lets take them to task. Take my cannabis but there better dang well be a counter offer of alliterative's.

I can not afford to go to the V.A. hospital every month to get refills of Vicodin or oxy. So what is there plan to assist the sick and dying?

Flapping heartless beastards.

Only one plan on their minds Fat Freddy, The Elimination Of Sick People. Rick Jones and others like him don't want us using something that isn't supplied by big business. Think about all the campaign money from big business that they would lose if they supported medication sick people can produce on their own. To them, sick people are a burden on society. This war is going to be more than just about the use of Medical Marijuana for the sick. This is also a war for Men, Woman and children with disabilities to exist.

Intraocular pressure can be lowered with medication, usually eye drops. Several different classes of medications are used to treat glaucoma, with several different medications in each class.

Each of these medicines may have local and systemic side effects. Adherence to medication protocol can be confusing and expensive; if side effects occur, the patient must be willing either to tolerate these, or to communicate with the treating physician to improve the drug regimen. Initially, glaucoma drops may reasonably be started in either one or in both eyes

Studies in the 1970s showed marijuana, when smoked or eaten, effectively lowers intraocular pressure by about 25%, as much as standard medications.[57][58][59] In an effort to determine whether marijuana, or drugs derived from marijuana, might be effective as a glaucoma treatment, the US National Eye Institute supported research studies from 1978 to 1984. These studies demonstrated some derivatives of marijuana lowered intraocular pressure when administered orally, intravenously, or by smoking, but not when topically applied to the eye.

Intraocular pressure can be lowered with medication, usually eye drops. Several different classes of medications are used to treat glaucoma, with several different medications in each class.

Each of these medicines may have local and systemic side effects. Adherence to medication protocol can be confusing and expensive; if side effects occur, the patient must be willing either to tolerate these, or to communicate with the treating physician to improve the drug regimen. Initially, glaucoma drops may reasonably be started in either one or in both eyes

Studies in the 1970s showed marijuana, when smoked or eaten, effectively lowers intraocular pressure by about 25%, as much as standard medications.[57][58][59] In an effort to determine whether marijuana, or drugs derived from marijuana, might be effective as a glaucoma treatment, the US National Eye Institute supported research studies from 1978 to 1984. These studies demonstrated some derivatives of marijuana lowered intraocular pressure when administered orally, intravenously, or by smoking, but not when topically applied to the eye.

The first patient in the United States federal government's Compassionate Investigational New Drug program, Robert Randall, was afflicted with glaucoma and had successfully fought charges of marijuana cultivation because it was deemed a medical necessity (U.S. v. Randall) in 1976.

I have glacoma and I use medical marijuana. I also use a drop in the eye once a day. My dosage is for two drops a day but I only need one when I use marijuana. My pressure has dropped from 22 to 18 in one eye and 19 in the other eye. My father was blind and I don't want that to happen to me. :thumbsd:

My dosage is for two drops a day but I only need one when I use marijuana. My pressure has dropped from 22 to 18 in one eye and 19 in the other eye.

Well, . . . who should we believe, a patient with practical real life experience, or a fascist puritan f**ktard who twists things to fit his own bizarre beliefs?

I have open angle glaucoma and have lost 40% of my vision from optical nerve damage. Had pain in my right eye daily, to a point an ice pack on my eye was they only relief from the stabbing pain. Since using cannabis I have NO pain! And they say it doesnt help?!? I also use drops nightly, $100 for a tiny bottle. But that does nothing for pain. I spoke to Jonesy last week and the man is full of hot air! Feed me alot of B S on how patients are going blind from only useing cannabis. Ya right. I will keep on calling and email these weasels till our rights are protected!

Bad bill passes committee in Michigan

A bill that would remove glaucoma from the list of qualifying conditions in Michigan cleared a key legislative committee Tuesday. The bill, SB 977, was approved by the Michigan Senate Judiciary Committee and is sponsored by the chairman of that committee, Sen. Rick Jones (R-Grand Ledge).

Please ask your elected officials to oppose SB 977.

Glaucoma is an eye disease that causes increased fluid pressure within the eye and can lead to blindness. Placebo-controlled studies have indicated that marijuana is able to lower intra-ocular pressure in some glaucoma patients as much as 27%.

Jones’ effort to strip glaucoma from Michigan’s voter-approved law is based on testimony that some patients who use marijuana may discontinue use of other medicines like eyedrops. Undoubtedly, patients using medical marijuana should not discontinue other therapies without consulting their doctors, but these concerns can be addressed in other ways, such as mandating a warning that patients not cease other therapies.

Please stop what you’re doing and ask your elected officials to oppose this unnecessary legislation. Thanks!

Dan Riffle signature (master)

Dan Riffle

Legislative Analyst

Marijuana Policy Project

https://secure2.convio.net/mpp/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1213 This is a link to sign the petition. Please sign.

http://www.legislatu...dCategorySearch

http://www.legislatu...aspx?page=Bills

Search Results

PrintDoc.gif Printer Friendly

(16 found)

Search Criteria: Legislative Session = 2011-2012; Detailed Category = Controlled substances, marihuana

Search within these documents for

DocumentTypeDescription

SB 0017 of 2011 Senate BillHealth; pharmaceuticals; formation of medicinal marihuana clubs or operation of medical marihuana bars; prohibit. Amends 1978 PA 368 (MCL 333.1101 - 333.25211) by adding sec. 7421.

Last Action: 03/08/2011 - REFERRED TO COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE WITH SUBSTITUTE S-1

SB 0259 of 2011 Senate BillCrimes; controlled substances; possession of certain MDPV; prohibit, and establish penalties. Amends sec. 7212 of 1978 PA 368 (MCL 333.7212).

Last Action: 04/13/2011 - referred to Committee on Judiciary

SB 0321 of 2011 Senate BillInsurance; no-fault; medical marihuana coverage in insurance policies; exempt required coverage for. Amends sec. 3107 of 1956 PA 218 (MCL 500.3107).

Last Action: 10/04/2011 - REFERRED TO COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE

SB 0506 of 2011 Senate BillHealth; medical marihuana; "bona fide physician-patient relationship" for purposes of medical marihuana law; clarify. Amends 2008 IL 1 (MCL 333.26421 - 333.26430) by adding sec. 3a.

Last Action: 06/21/2011 - REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON HEALTH POLICY

HB 4397 of 2011 House BillHealth; pharmaceuticals; formation of medicinal marihuana clubs or operation of medical marihuana bars; prohibit. Amends 1978 PA 368 (MCL 333.1101 - 333.25211) by adding sec. 7421.

Last Action: 03/09/2011 - printed bill filed 03/09/2011

HB 4463 of 2011 House BillHealth; pharmaceuticals; eligibility to be a primary caregiver for patient's medical use of marihuana; prohibit for individuals who have been convicted of any felony. Amends sec. 3 of 2008 IL 1 (MCL 333.26423).

Last Action: 03/23/2011 - printed bill filed 03/23/2011

HB 4661 of 2011 House BillHealth; medical marihuana; medical marihuana facility located near a church, school, or day care center; prohibit. Amends sec. 4 of 2008 IL 1 (MCL 333.26424).

Last Action: 05/19/2011 - printed bill filed 05/19/2011

HB 4834 of 2011 House BillHealth; medical marihuana; photograph on medical marihuana card; require. Amends sec. 6 of 2008 IL 1 (MCL 333.26426).

Last Action: 06/30/2011 - printed bill filed 06/30/2011

HB 4850 of 2011 House BillHealth; medical marihuana; transfers of medical marihuana; restrict, and limit defenses. Amends sec. 4 of 2008 IL 1 (MCL 333.26424).

Last Action: 07/27/2011 - printed bill filed 07/01/2011

HB 4851 of 2011 House BillHealth; medical marihuana; definition of "bona fide physician-patient relationship"; clarify. Amends sec. 3 of 2008 IL 1 (MCL 333.26423).

HB 4852 of 2011 House BillHealth; medical marihuana; location of medical marihuana facilities; allow for local zoning ordinances to regulate. Amends sec. 7 of 2008 IL 1 (MCL 333.26427).

HB 4853 of 2011 House BillCriminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; sentencing guidelines for crime of selling or providing medical marihuana to unprescribed user; implement. Amends sec. 13n, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 777.13n).

HB 4854 of 2011 House BillCrimes; other; advertising medical marihuana caregiver services or availability or sale of marihuana; prohibit. Amends 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.1 - 750.568) by adding sec. 42.

HB 4856 of 2011 House BillCrimes; other; transporting medical marihuana in motor vehicle; allow under certain circumstances. Amends 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.1 - 750.568) by adding sec. 474.

SB 0933 of 2012 Senate BillWorker's compensation; benefits; medical marihuana expenses incurred to treat work-related injury; exclude from reimbursement requirements. Amends 1969 PA 317 (MCL 418.101 - 418.941) by adding sec. 315a.

Last Action: 03/08/2012 - REFERRED TO COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE

SB 0977 of 2012 Senate BillControlled substances; marihuana; use of medical marihuana for treatment of glaucoma; prohibit. Amends secs. 3 & 5 of 2008 IL 1 (MCL 333.26423 & 333.26425).

Last Action: 03/22/2012 - REFERRED TO COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE WITH SUBSTITUTE S-1

Archived