Michigan Has Greatest # Of Medical Cannabis Patients

According to this ABC News article (don't their web folks know how to display table information??), Michigan has the greatest number of registered medical cannabis users (131,483) although not the highest per capita which goes to Colorado (163/100,000).

The joke, of course, is California, which has less than 10,000 registered patients and which is discussed in the article How many pot patients Calif. has is anyone's guess.

z

You don't have to register with our state either as we have section 8.

Have you heard of a MI court accepting as a defense that an individual charged with possession had a DR recommendation but no card? I haven't. Unless you can show otherwise, your interpretation could have disastrous consequences for someone relying on it.

z

Have you heard of a MI court accepting as a defense that an individual charged with possession had a DR recommendation but no card? I haven't. Unless you can show otherwise, your interpretation could have disastrous consequences for someone relying on it.

z

If the Courts would follow the law and not be influenced by Bill S. then it would very much work that way for us. Even on the ballot it said, Registered and UN-registered patients can use the Affirmative Defense.

In section 8 it says

333.26428 Defenses.

8. Affirmative Defense and Dismissal for Medical Marihuana.

Sec. 8. (a) Except as provided in section 7, a patient and a patient's primary caregiver, if any, may assert the medical purpose for using marihuana as a defense to any prosecution involving marihuana, and this defense shall be presumed valid where the evidence shows that:

(1) A physician has stated that, in the physician's professional opinion, after having completed a full assessment of the patient's medical history and current medical condition made in the course of a bona fide physician-patient relationship, the patient is likely to receive therapeutic or palliative benefit from the medical use of marihuana to treat or alleviate the patient's serious or debilitating medical condition or symptoms of the patient's serious or debilitating medical condition;

(2) The patient and the patient's primary caregiver, if any, were collectively in possession of a quantity of marihuana that was not more than was reasonably necessary to ensure the uninterrupted availability of marihuana for the purpose of treating or alleviating the patient's serious or debilitating medical condition or symptoms of the patient's serious or debilitating medical condition; and

(3) The patient and the patient's primary caregiver, if any, were engaged in the acquisition, possession, cultivation, manufacture, use, delivery, transfer, or transportation of marihuana or paraphernalia relating to the use of marihuana to treat or alleviate the patient's serious or debilitating medical condition or symptoms of the patient's serious or debilitating medical condition.

(b) A person may assert the medical purpose for using marihuana in a motion to dismiss, and the charges shall be dismissed following an evidentiary hearing where the person shows the elements listed in subsection (a).

© If a patient or a patient's primary caregiver demonstrates the patient's medical purpose for using marihuana pursuant to this section, the patient and the patient's primary caregiver shall not be subject to the following for the patient's medical use of marihuana:

(1) disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau; or

(2) forfeiture of any interest in or right to property.

Not once does it say Registered in there.

Now stating all that, I will say that I would rather have the hard card then a dr. recommendation as you use the AD in court, and section 4 in everyday life....

I dont agree with that even Zachw.

reason is I started smoking cannabis at 12/13. while it was perceived by my own self as recreational back then, NOW, after looking back, I can easily see I used cannabis medically, just as some use alcohol, or other non prescribed homeopathic treatments.

I didnt need a Drs cert to be ok then. Its my belief, after reading our Petition and our Ballot, To assert an affirmative defense, one should ONLY need to make proof of Medical Need, at any time up to closing arguments.

the Petition and Ballot were VERY Clear in Medical Cannabis Users coudl be Registered, or non Registered, and Certified or Non Certified. the Main Criteria was only medical need COULD Be Proven with a Drs recommendation/certifiction, but nothing implied it HAD to be prior to arrest. that again, is Mr Schuettes and the CoAs opinion based on False and purposely skewed opines.

now you guys are starting to see why no one in California will voluntarily sign up for the health dept card.....get it ??....they don't want to be on lists out there and I don't blame them...I too was one of them as I have had my California recommendation for the last 12yrs...and right before I left cali last August and moved here I went ahead and got my first state issued card from there so now I'm really on the lists out there and here as I now have my michigan card but u kno...my health issues are between me and my doctotr and not me my doctor and the cops or Feds...and it should be the same here....your doctor recommendation alone should be good enuf....the Feds don't want access to medical marijuana as it cuts in on there business of cocaine and heroin and some people might actually get off hard drugs if cannabis was available....not to mention how much it cuts in on their big pharma monopoly they want us all signed up on...my dad is on 32pills a day!!...and mom takes 25...and you know what??...they have more adverse affects from the side effects of all those "medicines" (poisons)than the benefits....that's why California doesn't show the numbers cuz no one wants to be on one of their official lists...I even had te sheriff card from out there a few years back...to be able to take personal responsibility for my own health care decisions is what I want and not the Feds tryin to push their poison health care on me....I got friends that are patients older than my parents and they use cannabis on a regular basis and are healthier than I am.....completely legal for medical...and by all means decriminalized for recreational.......I want a choice to use God given medicine than the poison they try and get you on...peace....

and another thing is there are ten times the number of patients out there than with all the other states combined.....they just aren't on a list....!!!.......everyone has a family member who has a recomendation there if they aren't already using it for health benefits...it's one of the most powerful healing plants The Creator has given us...that's what up....peace

Archived