Medical Marijuana Advocate Pleads To Felony Drug Charges

A 62-year-old man who supplied marijuana to a now-closed Williamstown Township medical marijuana club has pleaded guilty to felony drug charges, officials said.Fredrick Wayne Dagit pleaded guilty last week in Ingham County Circuit Court, officials said, to two counts of possession with intent to deliver between five and 40 pounds of marijuana, and one count of growing 20 or more marijuana plants.

Dagit was charged in 2010 after he agreed to buy 50 pounds of marijuana from an undercover police informant and also allowed the informant to store more than 100 pounds of marijuana in his Meridian Township home. Dagit also kept 41 marijuana plants in his home. Some plants, he said, were for his own ailments; the rest were for other patients.

Dagit, who has a state-issued medical marijuana card, argued that he was protected by the state’s medical marijuana law.

Dagit, who has several previous felony convictions, is considered a habitual offender and faces up to life in prison, Ingham County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Lisa McCormick said. A sentence hearing is set for May 2.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20120327/NEWS01/303270003/Medical-marijuana-advocate-pleads-felony-drug-charges?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

A 62-year-old man who supplied marijuana to a now-closed Williamstown Township medical marijuana club has pleaded guilty to felony drug charges, officials said.Fredrick Wayne Dagit pleaded guilty last week in Ingham County Circuit Court, officials said, to two counts of possession with intent to deliver between five and 40 pounds of marijuana, and one count of growing 20 or more marijuana plants.

Dagit was charged in 2010 after he agreed to buy 50 pounds of marijuana from an undercover police informant and also allowed the informant to store more than 100 pounds of marijuana in his Meridian Township home. Dagit also kept 41 marijuana plants in his home. Some plants, he said, were for his own ailments; the rest were for other patients.

Dagit, who has a state-issued medical marijuana card, argued that he was protected by the state’s medical marijuana law.

Dagit, who has several previous felony convictions, is considered a habitual offender and faces up to life in prison, Ingham County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Lisa McCormick said. A sentence hearing is set for May 2.

http://www.lansingst...|text|FRONTPAGE

WOW! this is why we don't want to take a plea because of the felony if they would offer us a misdemeanor and time served because we feel like we have done are time already for something that we are NOT guilty of

i remember this case well no one should be in jail for marijuana imho

Wow, really 50 lbs. and storing another 100lbs. ? I think he went over his weight count a tad ! I don't know but this smacks of plain stupid to me? He must have really liked the undercover cop to store his goodies for him , oh my? His intent has no medical value at all. Greed is all it is, no sympathy from me. Just one mans opinion. :sword:

ya even 5 lbs would be a tough sell to a jury. but as a juror, i would have a hard time swallowing 100 lbs.

but as a human that thinks any penalty for any amount of cannabis only situations, should be nullified, it is really not an issue.

but.. the reality of it is, unless we pass full legalization in Nov., its a mute point.

In my opinion, cops shouldn't be selling marijuana. The guy wasn't very clever, but if you suspect someone is breaking the law, is selling marijuana to them realy the right thing to do?

Maybe just in case they are not breaking the law we can sell them 50 pounds, then raid the place. We will be sure to find something then.

Dude was set up big time. Obviously he was out of his depth and easily led astray w hopes of the almighty dollar. When he finally gets out, this guy needs to find a new line of work. Still, it is horrible to hear about this result and how he was targeted. He was in Williamston of all places.

Lets not forget that all of the marijuana came from law enforcement and this happened before any opinions from the attorney general outlawing dispenseries and p2p transfers regardless of this guys past offenses he was entrapped by overzealous law enforcement so its not as it seems but hes in for a long prison sentence all over a plant nobody should go to jail for cannabis nobody. :notfair:

Archived