"The Dispensary Bill"

I just got offthe phone with Rep. Calltons assistant. Mr. Callton is the creator of the upcoming dispensary bill. I asked for a copy of their proposal and was told that its not ready. Its not fully put together yet, and they will be trying to finish it up over the break. They want to have it ready for submittal by April 18th. So I asked, about the model they are using to create this bill. I was told that Mr. Callton has been meeting with various groups about the dispensary bill. I asked if CPU was one and he said yes. They are looking at how other states are dealing with dispensaries. I said that I represent a large group of patients and would like to sit in on these meeting and he said he would take my info and pass it on to Mr. Callton and see if he would like to set up a meeting with me. I asked how they were addressing the Co-Op model. He said they are not adressing any type of Co-Op model. They are focusing strictly on language for a dispensary. Mr. Calltons assistant said that if a Co-Op wanted to be formed, they would need to gather signatures and have a proposal strictly to address Co-Ops. What does this mean? Bye Bye Farmers Markets, Hello $25 a gram dispensaries. I asked of any language that addresses if a patient must get their meds from a dispensary or can they get it from any caregiver they choose. He said they havent touched on that language yet, but what he is seeing is that patients will only be allowed to get their meds from their immediate caregiver listed on the application. Or, they may grow their own. (Patients without CGs will be forced to a dispensary if they cannot produce their own meds.) But the last thing that he told me was what stopped me in my tracks. Our legislators are going to allow local municipalities to create and enforce their own medical marijuana laws. The "Livonia model" is going to fly like wildfire throughout this state folks. So, in a nutshell, it doesnt matter if the legalization effort goes through or not. If the town you live in says that anything federaly illegal shall be illegal in your town, if you grow your own you WILL go to jail for it. And the MMM Act of 2008 will not cover you in court. Not one single piece of it. Now that thats been said, do you want to focus your efforts on legalization and abandon the Medical side? Or do you want to fight legislation now for the rights we do have, while we still have them? I choose the second option. Because if local ordinances prevail, the first choice wont mean crap! Medcnman.

I just got offthe phone with Rep. Calltons assistant. Mr. Callton is the creator of the upcoming dispensary bill. I asked for a copy of their proposal and was told that its not ready. Its not fully put together yet, and they will be trying to finish it up over the break. They want to have it ready for submittal by April 18th. So I asked, about the model they are using to create this bill. I was told that Mr. Callton has been meeting with various groups about the dispensary bill. I asked if CPU was one and he said yes. They are looking at how other states are dealing with dispensaries. I said that I represent a large group of patients and would like to sit in on these meeting and he said he would take my info and pass it on to Mr. Callton and see if he would like to set up a meeting with me. I asked how they were addressing the Co-Op model. He said they are not adressing any type of Co-Op model. They are focusing strictly on language for a dispensary. Mr. Calltons assistant said that if a Co-Op wanted to be formed, they would need to gather signatures and have a proposal strictly to address Co-Ops. What does this mean? Bye Bye Farmers Markets, Hello $25 a gram dispensaries. I asked of any language that addresses if a patient must get their meds from a dispensary or can they get it from any caregiver they choose. He said they havent touched on that language yet, but what he is seeing is that patients will only be allowed to get their meds from their immediate caregiver listed on the application. Or, they may grow their own. (Patients without CGs will be forced to a dispensary if they cannot produce their own meds.) But the last thing that he told me was what stopped me in my tracks. Our legislators are going to allow local municipalities to create and enforce their own medical marijuana laws. The "Livonia model" is going to fly like wildfire throughout this state folks. So, in a nutshell, it doesnt matter if the legalization effort goes through or not. If the town you live in says that anything federaly illegal shall be illegal in your town, if you grow your own you WILL go to jail for it. And the MMM Act of 2008 will not cover you in court. Not one single piece of it. Now that thats been said, do you want to focus your efforts on legalization and abandon the Medical side? Or do you want to fight legislation now for the rights we do have, while we still have them? I choose the second option. Because if local ordinances prevail, the first choice wont mean crap! Medcnman.

This is just horrible, patients need meds and not at 25 a gram either, Also if your town makes it illegal to grow or consume MM its going to make a lot of people go to jail or stay sick. I pray that they do not let the towns decide if MM should be legal or not, In my opinion towns should follow the state of Michigan laws and should not be able to decide if the MM is legal in their town. This is just horrible I hope that nothing bad is passed only stuff that will help this law and help protect caregivers and patients.

This is just horrible, patients need meds and not at 25 a gram either, Also if your town makes it illegal to grow or consume MM its going to make a lot of people go to jail or stay sick. I pray that they do not let the towns decide if MM should be legal or not, In my opinion towns should follow the state of Michigan laws and should not be able to decide if the MM is legal in their town. This is just horrible I hope that nothing bad is passed only stuff that will help this law and help protect caregivers and patients.

The response i got was that local municipalities SHOULD have the right to say "Yay" or "Nay" on medical marijuana. And not with a vote from the people. My town, for example, has just over 8500 residents. Our 10 member panel at our township can vote amongst themselves and choose to eliminate MM from their town. Regardless of if your a registered patient or not. If we dont fight these current bills, the above mentioned wont be a possibility, it will be a guarantee. Medcnman.

The response i got was that local municipalities SHOULD have the right to say "Yay" or "Nay" on medical marijuana. And not with a vote from the people. My town, for example, has just over 8500 residents. Our 10 member panel at our township can vote amongst themselves and choose to eliminate MM from their town. Regardless of if your a registered patient or not. If we dont fight these current bills, the above mentioned wont be a possibility, it will be a guarantee. Medcnman.

If we fight these current bills do you think it will stop them from becoming a law? I do not want these bills passed. I am going to try and do my part and fight against these bills.

If we fight these current bills do you think it will stop them from becoming a law? I do not want these bills passed. I am going to try and do my part and fight against these bills.

With enough folks such as you and myself, yea, we can stop these laws. Its going to take quite an effort but it can be done my friend. Medcnman.

With enough folks such as you and myself, yea, we can stop these laws. Its going to take quite an effort but it can be done my friend. Medcnman.

Well I want to write a letter, could you give me the place to write to and maybe help me on how to start off, I want to do my part and help, any info would be a big help to me.

this part is i kinda agree with... local rule... within limits... so long as they don't tread on people's rights.

problem is... with the MI model... that it can't outline & establish people's rights, not w any permanancy. gotta go constitutional for that.

but not having a voice in the impending reg's... nothing new guys & gals... nothing new at all. that's gov't in the modern era. the patient's rights that we are discussing today... just as egregious 20 years ago when anyone was growing... or any person smoking received benefits from. aids patients knew the paliative effects back in the 80's... 30 years later, we still incarcerate people & ruin the lives of their families to boot. this has been 40yrs+ of such attacks against the people.

no one should go to jail for the mj... patient or otherwise... imo. heck, i just saw the 700 club argue against 'overcriminalization'... ;-). it's big money to jail the populace... even stockholder wealth now a day's. don't expect for the bills to come out much better than they are my friends. harsh reality... been through it before.

EDIT... and u can bet good money that the new bill supporting dip's... gonna be exclusionistic in nature & practice. we can likely list the groups that are pushing behind it... just look to cali & co for that. gl all... but if it really goes that way... good bye patient-caregiver/cottage industry model for sure.

Joe & Jason, I am saddened that the tidbits they gave me that we put together ourselves were absolutely true. :(

Bye bye MMMA.

I do find it amazing that I asked to be a part of this workforce, because I believe ALL systems need to be a part of it (caregiver, farmers markets, dispensaries, compassion clubs) and I felt I had a lot I could add into making this a friendly, positive bill. They told me that I would be included. The next time I called that it was all written up and that there were no workgroups. The last time I called they said that they were amending it and work groups were involved.

Bye bye caregivers... bye bye farmers markets... hello local bans & other states models.

Whitney-email-o-matic will go crazy tonight... the hand written letters will go out tomorrow. My kids said even they want to write letters. Ha! Letters from a 5 & 6 year old about how they are hurting sick people... classic.

As it stands right now, any city can adopt the Livonia model which also exists in Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. The ACLU challenged the law and lost in the Wayne Cty and Oakland Cty courts. The ACLU started an appeal, but then dropped it since they did not believe they could win. Now the above said, it should be noted that the Livonia model is a zoning/building use model that relates to commercial use, i.e. dispensaries and growing co-ops and not in home activities like patient/caregiver activities.

If you meet w/ Callton or his aide again, you should try to find out where the distribution/dispensary bill came from, i.e. is it based on another existing State statue? Most MMJ laws seem to be modeled after some other existing state model. For example the MMMA is a cut and paste from RI. This will tell you much more about what might be in the bill. Many of the existing state laws regarding dispensaries allow for the caregiver/pt model, but they make it almost null and void. For example, I think it is either Maine or AZ that only allows for a cg if you are more than x miles from a dispensary.

As it stands right now, any city can adopt the Livonia model which also exists in Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. The ACLU challenged the law and lost in the Wayne Cty and Oakland Cty courts. The ACLU started an appeal, but then dropped it since they did not believe they could win. Now the above said, it should be noted that the Livonia model is a zoning/building use model that relates to commercial use, i.e. dispensaries and growing co-ops and not in home activities like patient/caregiver activities.

If you meet w/ Callton or his aide again, you should try to find out where the distribution/dispensary bill came from, i.e. is it based on another existing State statue? Most MMJ laws seem to be modeled after some other existing state model. For example the MMMA is a cut and paste from RI. This will tell you much more about what might be in the bill. Many of the existing state laws regarding dispensaries allow for the caregiver/pt model, but they make it almost null and void. For example, I think it is either Maine or AZ that only allows for a cg if you are more than x miles from a dispensary.

Az. 25 miles. MM

Right and that's just what they want, couple that with your city voting growing out period and folks you are done. This is no joke.......... This is fact...................

Top that with inspections and how many caregivers or patients do ya think will be helping the sick or themselves ?????

none..............................................................

Guest zigg01

The MMMA opposes the dispensary Bill and will fight it. We are in the process of organizing a protest and this proposed dispensary bill will be on the list as well as the four bills that passed today. I met with ad executives, a civil rights attorney, activists and a PAC today. Commercials will run soon and will clearly indicate to democrats why they shouldn't support these Bills. The price to be paid will be high for treason. I want you folks to dig in your heels and let them know we're not back tracking. Work together. Support one another. throw the tyrants out of office. Prepare to lobby your legislature to vote against the dispensary bill. Thanks, bb

Im wwith you on this bill it needs go in the trash were it belongs.And the ones working on this bill like cpu needs to also go in the trash.

The MMMA opposes the dispensary Bill and will fight it. We are in the process of organizing a protest and this proposed dispensary bill will be on the list as well as the four bills that passed today. I met with ad executives, a civil rights attorney, activists and a PAC today. Commercials will run soon and will clearly indicate to democrats why they shouldn't support these Bills. The price to be paid will be high for treason. I want you folks to dig in your heels and let them know we're not back tracking. Work together. Support one another. throw the tyrants out of office. Prepare to lobby your legislature to vote against the dispensary bill. Thanks, bb

With all I have seen in the past months I really do not see what good it will do. Basically our voices have been ignored. With our form of government we are unable to make a clean sweep ( come election time ) of those who have disregarded the will of the people. You know the old saying one rotten apple spoils the whole bunch.

I no longer trust this government and I know in my heart that they will use the dip proposal to further their efforts to kill our rights. I am still open to protests but really I do not see what good they will be if we can not show up in the thousands!

Yet I remain hopeful domeone will come up with something workable.

geez I hate to bust everyone's bubble but you guys do know that Tim beck works closely with a certain attorney and now it seems even clearer to me why the full legalization initiative is being pursued ....if you google Tim beck you will find links/quotes where he states the CPU is an organization of doctors lawyers and business men....nothing about patients..caregivers....that's why the legalization initiative has the language....."..commercial/industrial marijuana production".......hmmm...anything smell funny to anyone but me??...the people pushing full legalization know it will never pass and have taken the focus off the real issue which would have been to strengthen and build a solid foundation on the already existing law...seems the patients and caregivers have really been duped by big $$$ club owners that have already negotiated their own agenda and law...I was voting NO on legalization anyway just now I'll do it louder...meaning explain it to my friends...I guess I'll throw away the signatures I gathered ...all 123 of them....I know all the people personally and had to urge some to sign...I'll explain to them....NORML stands for National Organization for the Refferal of Marijuana Lawyers....didn't you all know that???...they're a lobby group...no wonder beck helped draft the law and probably knew the whole time all the revisions and negotiations he would have to make to get him and his friendz their .." license to deal"..cards...they knew all along and while people are out gathering signatures to help phamily and loved ones who are patients and caregivers...these guys are secretly negotiating their own agenda with a dispensary model where they come out on top....hmmm...... stay tuned....philm @11

Archived