Statement From Cpu

Cav is correct. Let me spell it out more clearly.

4834 and 4851 need 3/4 of the House and Senate to pass, because they amend the MMMA.

4853 and 4856 do not amend the MMMA they amend other laws, so they need a simple majority. The Republicans can pass these two with no Democratic help.

To make a bill take immediate effect they need a 2/3 vote. That is what Rachael Maddow is talking about.

Well, yeah, in a way. But what she is really complaining about is the GOP going against our Constitution and having these laws take effect without the 3/4 vote. In other words, anything they decide on is going to take immediate effect as long as they pass, no matter if it's even by one vote. Totally unconstitutional.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cav is correct. Let me spell it out more clearly.

4834 and 4851 need 3/4 of the House and Senate to pass, because they amend the MMMA.

4853 and 4856 do not amend the MMMA they amend other laws, so they need a simple majority. The Republicans can pass these two with no Democratic help.

To make a bill take immediate effect they need a 2/3 vote. That is what Rachael Maddow is talking about.

thank you. I thought my numbers were a bit off, and fully forgot 53/56 we not amendments to the act itself.

That is a great question Bruce. Knowing what I know now would I have still bothered to get "legal"? I honestly don't know...

I was hesitant to get a card because of the idea of putting my name on a list sounded like a <really> bad idea. And now a cop can just be behind me and run my plates and see I'm a registered user if these bills become law? That's NOT what I signed up for. This is the part of the bills that bother me the most, the rest of them aren't as bad, for me, in my situation. But I can see how others could be affected by the rest of the bills. I didn't like the fact that it's still a federal crime but with the administration we have in office now, at the national level, saying they wouldn't go after users, it seemed safe. Looking back on it, I guess we'll have to worry about the GOP running the show if they somehow win in November.

I was hesitant to get a card because of the idea of putting my name on a list sounded like a <really> bad idea. And now a cop can just be behind me and run my plates and see I'm a registered user if these bills become law? That's NOT what I signed up for.

Ditto! One day we were pulled over because a) we have tinted windows and b) the officer was bored (his words). If it had come up on his computer that we are in the program, then how easy would it be for him to say he "smelled marijuana". Basically, it could put the idea in the police officer's head that he "smells smoke" even if he doesn't.

As I understand it and I could be wrong but if 4834 passed as is during a normal traffic stop they will not be checking the registry. It is still separate from LEIN and would be an extra step the officer would have to do. Obviously if there is probable cause for them to check (smell MJ) etc they will. But it is not going to be just popping up with your regular LEIN info.

Not that that will make anyone feel much better or make the bill any more palatable. But the first time a LEO on a traffic cop comes back with your license and starts asking about MJ I would start taking information of his. He will have violated the law.

Archived