Trial Adjourned For Trio Charged With Selling Medical Marijuana From Bay City Compassion Club

Beans

Bay County Circuit Judge Joseph K. Sheeran on Wednesday stayed the trials of brothers Jonnie V. Randall and Corey R. Randall and Joshua J. Perry. The trio’s defense attorney, Edward M. Czuprynski,sought the adjournment in light of the state Supreme Court on March 28 granting a request by a Mount Pleasant compassion club to review a Court of Appeals' ruling.

In August, a Court of Appeals deemed state law “does not include patient-to-patient sales of marijuana,” a decision that shut down most of the state’s marijuana dispensaries and left growers in limbo. The ruling deemed compassion clubs “public nuisances” as defined by the Public Health Code.

“I believe it would be in the interest of judicial economy if we wait and hear from the Michigan Supreme Court as to whether or not they’re going to change the ruling of the Court of Appeals,” Sheeran said. “If they do, we’d be well-served by not trying a case on the basis of a law that ends up being overturned. If they don’t, we can proceed at a later time without any prejudice to either the prosecution or the defense.”

The Randalls own Beacon of Light Compassion Center, 100 N. Catherine in Bay City. Tonya Laubscher, a Midland police officer working with the Bay Area Narcotics Enforcement Team (BAYANET), previously testified she posed as a medical marijuana patient with an alias driver's license and fake doctor's certification when she entered the shop on Sept. 26 and purchased a gram of marijuana for less than $20. Perry handed Laubscher the substance, she said.

BAYANET raided the shop about a month before Laubscher’s undercover purchase and again the day after she reportedly obtained the marijuana. The Randalls are charged with a combined 16 criminal counts, while Perry faces single counts of manufacturing marijuana and conspiracy to possess marijuana.

Licensed Michigan growers may cultivate up to 12 marijuana plants for their own use, and up to 60 plants for five registered patients. The Court of Appeals’ August ruling does not prevent patients from compensating caregivers for time and resources spent cultivating the crop.

Sheeran also said today that there might be a conflict of interest with Czuprynski representing all three defendants. Prosecutors have suggested a plea offer to Perry, with the stipulation he cooperate with them in further proceedings, Sheeran said. Regardless, with the trials on hold until the Supreme Court issues its decision, the matter doesn’t need to be addressed right now, the judge said.

The Randalls and Perry are free on bond.

http://www.mlive.com...trio_charg.html

I might have missed it but read it twice and it didn't mention if they were caregivers or only legal as patients. I wonder how they expect someone to know if the patient has a fake ID and paperwork? If they were legal as caregivers wouldn't this case be mute.

Ed is a wonderful Atty an the man has a heart of gold, my daughter an her boyfriend help ed out with the up keep of his rentals.

I'm hoping to rent one of his houses soon.

He has helped out so many folks.

Should have read this a bit better before I first replied. I hope he wins the case for these people.

Archived