Help Or Tips

tye08

well i got legal roughly 7 months ago i started growing my own been cloning an veging for almost the whole time now its time for me today im on 39 days of budding my northern lights#5 and bubba kush an im so worried about a good out come its killen me all this time into it. i dont have ne testers moneys kinda tight an whatever is left is spent on the small things i need to keep this goin so i cant test ph an all that everything is lookin GREAT the thing is all my knowledge an know how came from research on the web an reading books now for the northern i heard its about 45 to 50 days to bud than up to 10 days total dark some (few) of the trichomes are turning amber most the hairs are still white. when should i take her into the dark? i do have photos if ne one asks the buds didnt get giant but not to small eather like i had expected but its my first grow im still learning i also heard its about 70 to 80 days for the bubba the bubba is also on day 39 of flower an i cant beleve how frosty thay are smells like heaven!!! im new to this blogin stuff so bare with me i veged the plants under a 1000 watt mh/hps coil ballest an than got my own equiptment now im budding on a 600 watt digital set up saves money by far! i guess what im asking is a good honest person with help or tips to offer that would be helpful cause i hear this an i read that so many different ways to do things i like it simple to a point i have all the time on my hands so there is no reason for a bad crop. through this whole time i had mites 2 times an thay werent bad at all got on them at first sight now its just knats tiny black fly lookin things i have been using coffie with sugar in a small bowl seams to work well. well ill quit rambling but if ne one out there has ne tips or help thay can offer it will help alot. hope to hear from u soon

If the hairs are still mostly white, you probably have a ways to go yet. I would not put the plant in the dark until all of the trichomes are milky at least. I have never heard of anyone putting a plant in the dark for more than 4 to 5 days at the end either. If your pistil's still have white hairs the buds are still growing. I normally harvest when I have 20 to 30% amber trichomes, but this is too long for many peoples liking. If your trichomes are all cloudy, and the hairs are mostly browning, you should be close to harvest. If you don't put the plants in the dark at all, (many people don't) you will still get good quality meds. Flushing the soil properly is much more important than putting them in the dark, and my opinion is don't put them in the dark for more than 5 days. Hopefully some others here will give their suggestions too.

I agree Mike. I dont put mine in the dark either. I have tried it but didnt notice a difference. I know you and your ambers! LOL! Anywhooo, for about $15 bucks you can get a Ph kit. Its better than nothin. If they are lookin good, then they are probably doin just fine. And being your first grow, you will only get better from here. Keep up the good work! Medcnman.

Harvest time is entirely subjective (within reason). I run Northern Lights and harvest "right before" they start to turn amber (pretty much all milky for a few days) I did this one time due to an issue in my grow, and it was and has been the most requested by my patients. I've run White Widow to amber and only milky and the NL at this point was still the favorite.

As far as testers, I have none. My only test has been "here try this one." lol No complaints so far. But I know one of my local hydro shops said they would test my water, runoff, all that for me for free if I brought in a sample. Maybe check with your local stores and see if they offer this. At least get it tested once and then you know. Ultimately, if it grows, and grows well why mess with perfection.

Best tip I can give you is to NOT harvest early!!!

Go by trichome color and when you think they are ready, give them one more week!

Good luck to you!

Patiences Grasshopper. You will regret pulling to early. GL

right on yeah i saw a video on shock ripening with ice water for 10 days but i didnt think thats would be good for me even tho i have all the time i need. hell the equiptment i have came from ebay so ill check it out im also a member at the green bean thay also have killer prices but yeah ppl say to check all that ph ppm ec so far thats the only thing thats hasent been done im just impaient but for sure i wont harvest to early not after all i have done. their like my second set of kids lol. I LOVE MY GIRLS with the northern #5 i guess ill wait for more of the tri's turn amber or milky white i like my uplift during the day an relax an pain killer at night maby what i was trying to do is get inbetween on the other hand my bubba kush is growing like a weed lol the only other frosty thing that can come close to what thay look like ive only seen on tv i really cant beleve even some of the fan leaves that stick out 6 inches or more have trichomes all over them thay all started budding the same time way smaller but i guess that strain takes longer.morhawk thats me all the way good 1 :) 1 more thing the nutrients that i have been using is technaflora with the second crop im going to start well i have already started foxfarm nutrients does ne one have suggestions on the foxfarm or have used it before?? thanks everyone for the suport an good luck wishes

I have tried putting them in the dark, and it seems to make a difference as far as an increase in aroma, I don't think the potency is affected to any great degree. I normally harvest 2 hours after the lights come on, I have read and been told that thc peaks in the early part of the light cycle. I then hang the whole plant in the dark for 2 to 3 days, I think it is important to keep the plants out of the light while drying. After this I go in and remove all the fan leaves and if the buds seem to still be too moist I let the plant hang for another 24 hrs.

Then all the buds get clipped off the stalk and go into paper grocery sacks, I roll these around a couple times a day to prevent moist areas and mold. The sugar leaves can be removed at anytime after the buds have been removed from the stalk, these I use for cooking oil, Simpson oil or bho. When they have dried in the paper bags for 3 or 3 days, the buds then go into 1/2 gallon mason jars with a Caliber hygrometer. If the humidity in the jars ever gets above 64% I take the buds out and spread them out on a newspaper for an hour or so and then put them back in the jars, opening the jars once or twice a day to release excess humidity. once the humidity in the jars stabilizes at 61% I can keep the jars sealed without worrying about mold.

In my opinion, drying in the dark in a clean area with good air circulation is critical to the prevention of mold.

I put two harvests in the dark. I was growing in tents which made it quite easy to do. Just unplug the light and walla! Darkenss. But I didnt see anything spectacular after 5 days. They did smell a bit more but thats all I noticed. I cut my plants down in their "Morning" time. I trim all the leaves then lay them in my drying racks. In about 3 days, I trim all the buds off the stems. Then put the buds back in the racks for 2 more days. Then they go into jars. As the buds rehydrate themselves, i open the jars to allow humidity to escape. Then close them back up ( usually an hour or so). I do this for another 3-4 days. Then I enjoy the fruits of my labor. Everyone has their own way of drying and curing. Its alot of trial and error but you will find your niche. Best of luck my friend! Medcnman.

Archived