The Mmma - Operation 26%

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got off the phone with Richard Hammel's office and was told that he can be counted on to vote to defeat the bill package, and asked that he use his position as caucus leader to twist any and all arms he can find to do the same.

This is GREAT NEWS! :thumbsu: There are 47 Dems, all we need are 28 "nos".

Do you want to see my homework? :rolleyes::goodjob:

here is mine

Thank you for contacting me on this issue- I know it is one you are very passionate about and I appreciate you sharing your personal perspective. I have followed this issue very closely and during my first term in office served on the Medical Marijuana Task force. I firmly support the rights of medical marijuana patients as well as the choice of the voters in 2008.

With regards to the recently introduced bills, I don't believe we need legislation curtailing and regulating what voters have already decided. However, as stated in this act, the "medical use of marihuana is allowed under state law to the extent that it is carried out in accordance with the provisions of this act." Yet one reason why the MMMA has been such a contentious issue of late is because there was no repeal of other laws regarding marihuana. For example, the possession, use, sale, delivery or manufacture of marihuana remains a crime in the state. What the MMMA did accomplish, however, was to protect specific groups of people from arrest, prosecution, or other penalty if they follow the requirements of the act.

The MMMA has been criticized with being vague and poorly written and this is why now many Representatives (spearheaded by Rep. Walsh and Senator Jones, chairs of the House and Senate Judiciary committees) are now seeking to clarify this act with various legislative changes. I do not serve on the Judiciary committee and, as you stated, will not see a final draft of the bill until it comes before me on the House floor.

I will continue to follow these bills, and HB 4834 closely. While I do believe reforms to the MMMA are necessary, I also believe that protecting patients is the intent of the act and this should be upheld. Thank you again for contacting me and please know I will keep your thoughts in mind should this bill come before me for a vote on the house floor. To stay updated on the status of this and other current legislation, you can visit www.legislature.mi.gov and search by bill number.

Regards,

Ellen

With regards to the recently introduced bills, I don't believe we need legislation curtailing and regulating what voters have already decided.

While I do believe reforms to the MMMA are necessary, I also believe that protecting patients is the intent of the act and this should be upheld.

This seems contradictory.

Everyone should call their Rep. I am serious about that. It is much better than a protest at this point. Meet in person if you can and wish to.

Call their office and tell them what you know, really, really nicely. There are bills pending, they are going to be voted on soon, and they are going to be bad for you. Use the talking points above they are not common knowledge, and the Reps are frequently surprised by some of them. Tell them the only thing to do is vote "no."

My favorite talking point so far is the fact that the $250,000 high speed printer LARA just installed can't even print the photos required by HB 4834. Spend special time on HB 4834. It is the breaking of the ultimate promise of the program, the privacy of your personal health information from the police.

i agree these are very good points call, write,and meet

Please don't use that for this. There is a very good chance that it either is not currently working or is blocked by legislative email servers.

I believe that the email-o-matic still works. I also learned that there was no 'house-wide' blocking of emails, unless there were 'multiple messages from the same address sent over a very short time span'. I was told that some legislators may block them individually, but not house-wide.

I think that means someone using the email-o-matic to quickly send out all 12 emails would likely be blocked out after one or two. One can cut and paste any message.

Here is an email that I sent recently. Feel free to use any or all of the email if you wish to send it out to your own rep or use the the email-o-matic.

The House Judiciary Committee has heard from law enforcement and they heard the testimonials from the medical cannabis patients. In spite of strong patient objections, 4 bills were passed out of Committee.

Here’s what we learned from the hearings:

- There has been no real increase in crime due to the MMMAct. Our children and our highways are still safe.

- The MMMAct of 2008 has not yet been implemented as intended by the voters. The personal feelings of a powerful few have conspired to work against the people’s will.

- The MMMAct is not a poorly written law. It was intended to allow broad protections to qualifying patients and caregivers while protecting physicians from federal scrutiny.

- These protections frustrate law enforcement. They still wish to treat cannabis patients as criminals. Their resistance to change is also counter to the will of the voters. The people want protections but our law enforcement agencies still push hard for prosecutions.

When the time comes to vote on these bills please remember that the vast majority of patients want no changes to this law. We would simply like the law to be implemented as intended by the voters.

I just wanted to let you know that there are a whole lot of voters watching your actions on this issue. Please vote against these bills. Thank you for your interest in protecting the sick and disabled in our state.

Sincerely,

Here we are on the Day before the vote . The same people have contributed immensely and do for every project but we really need some new people to step up and make a polite informed plea to their legislators to not pass these bills and to look into protections for patients as well as a proper implementation of the State Constitutional Medical Marihuana Act . To explain that only when every aspect of medical use is covered in a non intrusive legal manner can the negative specter of fear be lifted from patients . We ask for opportunities to voluntarily separate from the black markets in this transition toward legal medical cannabis and provide local supply to our own qualified closed community helping each other through illness and injury in a spirit of cooperation and compassion . Patient to Patient , Caregiver to Caregiver , Patient to Caregiver and Caregiver to Patient transfers with or without remuneration are required as well as further reductions in arrest parameters for qualified patients . We have seen to many abuses or " grey areas " have devestating results for legitimate patients due to unreasonable implementation and interpretation of practical application requirements necessary to be conducted by patients participating in the States Marihuana heath program . .

• 2 weeks later...

I do have a serious question.

My state representative is Joe Graves. Where can I find his election results complete with the percentages.

I'd like to compare his numbers to how my area voted in November 2008 on Proposition 1.

Anyone know how to find those two exact tidbits of information?

I'm a numbers guy and I'd like to include those two sets of factual numbers with him the next time I contact his office.

Thanks,

Mizerman

You could try here maybe:

http://www.michigan....03241--,00.html

Thanks. Now I see that Graves got 53.10% of the vote in the special election to fill-in for the recently re-called Paul Scott.

Now, I need to figure out what percentage of the voters in my district said YES to Proposition 1/Medical Marijuana back in November 2008.

Thanks again. I'm half-way there.

Puff, puff, pass... :bong2: (that's what us stoners do :bong7bp: )

Mizerman

Aaagghhh....some good stoner Inspector Clouseau-type investigating.

Seeing that my precinct - one of 52 in my representative's district - voted:

Yes 1124

No 933

That's 54.64% voting yes in my highly republican neighborhood FOR Medical Marujuana in 2008.

When I tally up the other 51 districts. I'll post the results later tonight.

Then, I'll have some crystal clear numbers for talking points tomorrow with Representative Graves.

It's always nice to have the facts on your side....with statistics to back it all up.

Puff, puff, pass... :bong2: (this is what us stoners do :bong7bp: )

Mizerman

p.s. I'm betting that when I average in the other 51 precincts that the 54.64% number of YES votes for Medical Marijuana climbs closer to 60% or a tad higher...but, that's just me - cuz I'm a :bong2: "Stoner :jig:

Edited by mizerman

You could try here maybe:

http://www.michigan....03241--,00.html

First of all, I want to say thank-you to Morhawk for providing me with that link so I could so some analysis of the votes in my district. Thanks!

I'm in Genesee County - 51st District.

Just found it by navigating that link you gave me earlier.

Here it is:

For the district I live in - and which is the current district for Joe Graves - Republican.

November 2008 a total of 57,017 votes cast on our ballot proposal for medical marijuana.

33,701 voted YES

23,316 voted NO

That's 59.10% YES votes vs. 53.10% of the votes Joe Graves got in his past election.

The numbers are even more telling when you see the actual numbers of votes in his election.

His 53.10% of the vote translates into this:

Joe Graves 10,290

Steven M. Losey 8,173

Cary Neuville-Justice 803

WRITE-IN 114

Total votes 19,380

Numbers don't lie.

First of all, I want to say thank-you to Morhawk for providing me with that link so I could so some analysis of the votes in my district. Thanks!

I'm in Genesee County - 51st District.

Just found it by navigating that link you gave me earlier.

Here it is:

For the district I live in - and which is the current district for Joe Graves - Republican.

November 2008 a total of 57,017 votes cast on our ballot proposal for medical marijuana.

33,701 voted YES

23,316 voted NO

That's 59.10% YES votes vs. 53.10% of the votes Joe Graves got in his past election.

The numbers are even more telling when you see the actual numbers of votes in his election.

His 53.10% of the vote translates into this:

Joe Graves 10,290

Steven M. Losey 8,173

Cary Neuville-Justice 803

WRITE-IN 114

Total votes 19,380

Numbers don't lie.

Where did you find your information? I am having problems finding this for my district. Which BTW just changed and I was writing the wrong rep. Turns out they sent me a voting reg.card and my area everything but the voting precinct changed.

strong></strong></strike>

Wow!  Thanks for the lines going thru everything again.

You have to dig deeper and go further than just the counties.

You have to go through the districts.

Then, all of the precincts in your district to get an accurate count of the YES and NO votes from November 2008.

Mizerman

p.s.  can someone change my damned typeset?  I try and do it and it stays the same or changes every time I log on.........this is part of the reason I started posting videos</p></p>

Wow! Thanks for the lines going thru everything again.

You have to dig deeper and go further than just the counties.

You have to go through the districts.

Then, all of the precincts in your district to get an accurate count of the YES and NO votes from November 2008.

Mizerman

p.s. can someone change my damned typeset? I try and do it and it stays the same or changes every time I log on.........this is part of the reason I started posting videos

Gees that would drive me crazy too. :) Did you check the S, which crosses our your words like this. If it is highlighted you need to click on it and this will stop.

OK can you give me a link, to the area where I find the vote that corresponds to the district please? Thank you for any help