Holland, Mi The Holland Compassion Club!

Location ideas:

Many libraries will offer free space for community events. Some cities have community or civic centers where you can hold free meetings too. In some places these options may charge a small amount of money.

We once had an offer from a Motel 8 in Iron Mountain to hold out meetings in their banquet room. They were even going to supply coffee for only $20, but the owner was very favorable to our cause and had an immediate family member in the program. Sometimes you can get a room fairly cheap. Churches might be an option too. Just tell them you're a "patient information and support group." You might get away with it. They just might allow it as it is too.

First Meeting

First time meeting for us, was exactly that. The first time we all got to meet. It was very informal and the man who would later become our first president "officiated" over the meeting. We had minimal information packets at the time that became much better later. I have no problem sending you a few copies. There's one page with a listing of medical doctors and clinics that quite honestly, we need to update, but will be useless for you as I'm in the UP. It's something you might want to have for the meeting though, so you'll have to do a little homework.

Fortunately for us we had people with growing experience right off the bat in both hydro and organic soil, so there was a lot of questions about growing as everyone was just starting their gardens at that time. (Jan. 2009) If you have growing experience, or know someone that does, you can spend a few minutes on a Q&A session.

As I recall mostly we sat around and asked and answered questions. A lot of people came in not fully understanding the law, as they still do, and we were able to supply answers for most of them. After a couple of meetings, you'll see who in the group has the ability and is willing to step up and help. All you usually have to do is ask, and you'll instantly have a support team.

Start building a CG base. Visit the CGs from your club and see that they have the ability to keep their patients in supply of medicine. It can be really hard getting started in the beginning, don't get discouraged. You'll at least have the advantage over me that there are now a lot more growers than there were in Jan. '09. (Yay!) I always tell new patients to shop around and talk to at least three CGs before making a decision. People have different strains, quality, prices and personalities. You want a CG that you feel comfortable with.

You will probably want to make a time for legal updates throughout the state. Most of our members that come to every meeting honestly come for this. We have a great advantage of having a wonderful person doing this for our club who doubles as our VP.

Save some time at the end of the meeting for people to mill about and meet each other. During the meeting have all CGs raise their hands and PTs looking for a CG to raise their hands. That way they can find each other during this part of the meeting.

Cookout?

Dang! We've been trying to get one organized for three summers now! The hard part is having a place to do it that's isolated enough that you can medicate. Every time we get a place it falls through.

Please feel free to ask me any more questions.

I think that one problem we have in this community is that what is routine for us is concerning for the Non MMJ community. Medibles sound fun, but how would that look in the papers? We've always concentrated on targeting ourselves (ie attracting the attention of other mmj community members). How about thinking about the non-mmj from the onset of the club and working to get them invovled in the program?

Craft shows, support groups for chronic pain, community events that would attract the general public and introduce them to club members (so they can see we are just 'normal' folks like them). Just a couple of ideas to think about.

Dr. Bob

The Atlanta Compassion Club signed up for adopt a highway program. Many of us are unable to do all the walking and bending but we all have friends and family that we can get to help. We have done very well getting our roadside pickup completed with everyones help. Patients,caregivers and the general public all working together.

• 1 year later...