Jackson City Council Delays Discussion Of Medical Marijuana

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2012/04/jackson_city_council_discussin.html

JACKSON, MI -- A medical marijuana ordinance that was to go before the Jackson City Council on Tuesday night was removed from the agenda.

At the beginning of the meeting, council members voted to refer the proposed ordinance to a committee for more study.

About 80 people packed the council chambers and about half left as soon as they found out medical marijuana would not be discussed.

Among other things, the proposed ordinance would ban medical marijuana dispensaries that provide pot to patients, essentially requiring patients to either grow marijuana themselves or get it from a registered primary caregiver.

Medical marijuana patients and their caregivers would still be allowed to grow the drug under certain conditions.

Before the matter was tabled, the Jackson City Council was to vote Tuesday on tentative approval of the revisions to the city's medical marijuana ordinance. A second vote would be needed to adopt the new regulations.

At the request of Councilwoman Laura Dwyer Schlecte, the Jackson City Council tabled the ordinance and a related revision to the city's controlled substances ordinance so that zoning issues related to the proposed changes could be considered. The proposals will go to the City Affairs Committee before returning to the full City Council.

Under the proposed ordinance, qualifying patients or primary caregivers who are registered by the Michigan Department of Community Health to grow marijuana could do so in their homes. Patients could consume the drug only in their homes or their primary caregivers' homes.

Patients and primary caregivers also could grow medical marijuana at non-dwelling locations in certain commercial and industrial business districts.

The city has had a moratorium on medical marijuana operations during the drafting of the ordinance.

Council members first issued a six-month moratorium on any new operations that "relate to the cultivation, dispensing or use" of medical marijuana on Jan. 25, 2011. They have since extended the temporary ban.

The action is in response to a state law approved in 2008 that allows people to use marijuana for medical purposes.

The ordinance would require anyone who is growing medical marijuana in Jackson other than in a patient's home or caregiver's home to apply to the city clerk for a license. It does not set the fees, which it says will be "set from time to time by the City Council by motion or resolution ..." No signs could be posted outside medical marijuana grow locations.

Medical marijuana growing locations could not be within 1,000 feet of any school or college; playground; church or other facility in which religious services are conducted; or substance abuse treatment or prevention facility. They could also not be within 500 feet of a public or private youth center, public swimming pool or video arcade facility. The 500 and 1,000 feet requirements do not apply to marijuana grown legally in homes.

Violation of the city's marijuana law is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $500 fine.

Residents need to be smart,

Help remove the fear for patients and other residents.

How to remove Fear. Through Education and Acceptance.

Acceptance takes time. Use Education as your cudgel.

They have given their stance, now Educate them.

Sensible. Reasonable. Acceptable.

We will never toss this anchor of resistance until we gain Acceptance from the larger citizenry. Just because they voted "Yes" in '08 does not mean they ever thought it would be in their backyard. The Laws of NIMBY.

So, get organized. I would get a small panel together and present yourselves and your views to the councilmembers.

Good Luck.

Residents need to be smart,

Help remove the fear for patients and other residents.

How to remove Fear. Through Education and Acceptance.

Acceptance takes time. Use Education as your cudgel.

They have given their stance, now Educate them.

Sensible. Reasonable. Acceptable.

We will never toss this anchor of resistance until we gain Acceptance from the larger citizenry. Just because they voted "Yes" in '08 does not mean they ever thought it would be in their backyard. The Laws of NIMBY.

So, get organized. I would get a small panel together and present yourselves and your views to the councilmembers.

Good Luck.

Joe is doing that and was there at that meeting. I think there are others trying to do the same. I believe in the market and hope it can continue to help patients and caregivers. I have not used the services provided there but I am glad it is there if ever needed and hope the ordinance does not go through.

Joe is doing that and was there at that meeting. I think there are others trying to do the same. I believe in the market and hope it can continue to help patients and caregivers. I have not used the services provided there but I am glad it is there if ever needed and hope the ordinance does not go through.

Even if it doesn't go through, the market still isn't clearly legal within state law.

I no its probably in another thread but is the jackson farmers market been running and how would this law effect the farmers market?

The market has been open and operating as normal. That, if it went through as is written right now, would probably close the Jackson market down, but not all of it has been looked at or decided. I think the big indecision is the wording and the outcome it can have. They are at least smart enough to not just jump in and say things need to change and then to enforce it thankfully.

Even if it doesn't go through, the market still isn't clearly legal within state law.

Your right it isn't. One of the things is how each county, city, etc. looks at MM, and places like the FM, whether or not there would be much heat on a place like that. Personally I don't believe the state has much interest in it since they aren't operating how the dispensaries were. Can something happen, yes no doubt it can, but I don't feel the FM is under the microscope that "they" think there are much bigger fish to fry then a place that is compliant with the local laws.

how is the fm compliant with what was said?/i think joe is full of it regarding jackson not caring and backing the market.the piper plays again!

Within Jackson I don't mean the state, read what I wrote again,, I don't believe the heat is on them at the moment. Gees can't anyone talk about anything without Joe being brought into it. Come on give it a rest please. I am all for the Farmers Market that is no secret and I would be no matter who runs it.

I don't understand.

The ordinance would require anyone who is growing medical marijuana in Jackson other than in a patient's home or caregiver's home to apply to the city clerk for a license. It does not set the fees, which it says will be "set from time to time by the City Council by motion or resolution ..." No signs could be posted outside medical marijuana grow locations.

OK got ya

• 2 weeks later...

Within Jackson I don't mean the state, read what I wrote again,, I don't believe the heat is on them at the moment. Gees can't anyone talk about anything without Joe being brought into it. Come on give it a rest please. I am all for the Farmers Market that is no secret and I would be no matter who runs it.

sounds like your trying to protect the great joe .that would make sence being that your a mod on his new site .if your so for joe why are you here ?beware beware

sounds like your trying to protect the great joe .that would make sence being that your a mod on his new site .if your so for joe why are you here ?beware beware

I have never said I did not like Joe, I have never hid my user name, I have nothing to hide. What is your warning for? I am proud to be part of a site that is more peaceful. I also like most of the people here. I have no reason to leave either site. I ask why you feel it is your place to warn me or to tell me what site I should belong to, or to warn me as if harm will come to me from you? Is that a threat your beware, beware? You have no right to tell anyone what site they should or should not belong to. Who are you?

I have never said I did not like Joe, I have never hid my user name, I have nothing to hide. What is your warning for? I am proud to be part of a site that is more peaceful. I also like most of the people here. I have no reason to leave either site. ......

Its called coopetition.

I'm all for farmer's markets too. We just need to make them completely legal.

As I stated there is room for all at the table of mmj. I have been at a farmers market as a patient and caregiver.

I like them because I can hang out and chat with others that share a interest in cultivation, I learned a lot in the time the AA market was open.

To be honest I really miss the friends I made there.