Legal Representation

Legal Representation Club  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join a club that guarantees legal representation to compliant members?

• No, I am perfectly compliant so I will never get in trouble
    • No, I have my own legal fund squirreled away
    • Yes, I want to contribute to make sure the entire community is safe, and the law is defended

This is addressed specifically to Michael Komorn and the rest of you qualified MMJ Lawyers:

Is it possible to establish a general fund from which the council can be reimbursed for expenses incurred while representing one of us. It would seem to me like we could raise plenty of cash from the caregiver/patient population. Most of us are on fixed incomes including yours truly and can not afford you guys. I think that we should be able to raise plenty of cash to cover your cost and pay you a handsome fee for your services as well.

I really hate it that everything is all about the money, but that is the way it is. May be if you had a terminal disease as some of us do, the money wouldn't matter that much after all, but you don't and we need your help so I present this to you yet once again for your consideration. I'd like to be amongst the first to donate my $$ (what ever I can afford), please help us. You guys are the best of the best and we need you.

If I must, I will go door-to-door begging for contributions to fill the fund as full as I can. People need help, my friend was busted and he has had to sell everything he had to pay his lawyer. Why does this make me feel ill?

If it feels that this post is down on you guys, I don't intend it that way, it's just hard for me to see through your eyes and get into your hearts. I can only speak from my own heart.

The last time I suggested that the 3MA do something like this I don't remember a single reply, hoping for better results this time.

HC

I do think this is possible, it would take continuous, committed donations to make it work.

Hi Zap,

I really wouldn't know where to begin, I'm more like an instigator. I like to get things started, after that, I'm off to bigger and better things/ideas. I know that something must be done, people should not be losing everything they have worked for all their lives because of our MMJ law (correction - blamed wrong entity, I meant because of our rep's and leo's inability to understand the clearly written peoples initiative).

If someone wants to take on this project, I would be willing to help out anyway that I can. I have made it known that I would like to be one of the first to donate to this fund, I'd appreciate it if you would keep that in mind.

Edited by Herb Cannabis

Hey John I posted this to Facebook. Now that I have read what you want to do I realize that thete is one similar to this already called the 420club.

Having said that I truly feel that we need more of these exact things. One or two will not be enough. Especially now that these bills have passed.

If this is something our club OCCC can at least start until more people show interest then we can make that happen.

The problem here is:

Why would I fund caregiver/patient legal cost for someone who may be

Less careful-legal

More political

skirting the edges(sales)

Foolish Ie.... wanting to be a poster child/guinea pig or ignoring the guidelines

Possible previous run ins with authorities -taunting, dui's....

I just don't see this idea gaining momentum

The right case might garner some support but not all as in a general fund

My 2 cents

Sorry to hear about your friend HC

Edited by Beans

If this were to happen it would have very strict compliance rules. If you were out of compliance, you would not be able to have free representation.

:rolleyes::lol:

I am a small town boy

Sometimes small towns do things their own way

I like all the small town bars but,

when the local butcher, hardware owner or waitress....

see the same guy's thru out the week smelling of weed and drinking on monthly tabs (ahem)

Well,

people get to talking about where their tax dollars go

and like I said

"Sometimes small towns do things their own way"

I would be interested in reading any proposed guidelines and governing bodies

I just posted a similar idea on the MCP site.

http://michigancanna...php?f=12&t=4028

I've been thinking about how to raise money for the cause and came up with what may be a stupid or brilliant idea. What about a voluntary MMJ legal insurance fund? I know the CPU has a lot of lawyer members, what about selling legal insurance for a monthly premium? The funds would be used to fund legal defense for paying members and what is left over could be used for advocacy. In order for this to work the lawyers would need to be onboard. I can see many people willing to pay a monthly premium ($20-50??) for legal peace of mind, knowing a good lawyer will be there to defend you if you get into legal trouble. The actual odds of being in trouble are relatively small. 5000 people at $20 a month is $100000 a month, after court costs, if any, there would be a significant amount of money left to play with. Anyways that's my idea, what do you think? Is it even possible?

Mike

Edited by Dilligaf

That is the plan. Will it work? YES

i think people would pay what ever they have to pay to be safe and stay out of jail and lose everything they have like we have people have no idea what Torey and i have been thought the Stress and knowing that people know all about your business

Zap, You may be being a bit harsh on the total compliance thingy.. I mean everyone who is raided or arrested "was out of compliance" right? Same as in the courtroom we must individually judge the situation and not lump it into a catorgory that is made to fit all.. I propose everyone who harvests one or more plants at a time is probably going to be concidered "out of compliance" for at least a couple weeks.. Because if you think the police are playing fair with Usable MM you are sadly mistaken. So again another reason to get out there and meet up with your local compassion club.. Those ppl (if they can in any way) are your support system. I have seen miraculous gifts and acts of kindness at my club.. Tarzan told me one time to look around,, Those are the ones who are going to be there for each other...

One more thing.. We can also turn to our Neighboring clubs and they are our ppl too.. Go to all the meetings you can because then you are reaching out your circle and support system.

I am a member of the 420 club but it is hard to do one big statewide project because ppl dont know and trust ppl they dont know and trust..

STAY SAFE everyone..

i think people would pay what ever they have to pay to be safe and stay out of jail and lose everything they have like we have people have no idea what Torey and i have been thought the Stress and knowing that people know all about your business

Amen.. and trust me .. Ya have to pay..

So really best policy.. save any money you would put into insurace or a club.. HIDE it.. for a legal fee..

Zap, You may be being a bit harsh on the total compliance thingy.. I mean everyone who is raided or arrested "was out of compliance" right? Same as in the courtroom we must individually judge the situation and not lump it into a catorgory that is made to fit all.. I propose everyone who harvests one or more plants at a time is probably going to be concidered "out of compliance" for at least a couple weeks.. Because if you think the police are playing fair with Usable MM you are sadly mistaken. So again another reason to get out there and meet up with your local compassion club.. Those ppl (if they can in any way) are your support system. I have seen miraculous gifts and acts of kindness at my club.. Tarzan told me one time to look around,, Those are the ones who are going to be there for each other...

One more thing.. We can also turn to our Neighboring clubs and they are our ppl too.. Go to all the meetings you can because then you are reaching out your circle and support system.

I am a member of the 420 club but it is hard to do one big statewide project because ppl dont know and trust ppl they dont know and trust..

STAY SAFE everyone..

I mean everyone who is raided or arrested "was out of compliance" right? no i do not agree with this we were not out of compliance in any way under plants count, locked up, and under 2.5oz .

I do think we are ready for this. But the question is how many compliant people are going to be willing to pay that premium for such a service

@Zap can you turn this post into a poll to see how many people would be on board?

I just posted a similar idea on the CPU site.

http://michigancannabispatients.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4028

I've been thinking about how to raise money for the cause and came up with what may be a stupid or brilliant idea. What about a voluntary MMJ legal insurance fund? I know the CPU has a lot of lawyer members, what about selling legal insurance for a monthly premium? The funds would be used to fund legal defense for paying members and what is left over could be used for advocacy. In order for this to work the lawyers would need to be onboard. I can see many people willing to pay a monthly premium ($20-50??) for legal peace of mind, knowing a good lawyer will be there to defend you if you get into legal trouble. The actual odds of being in trouble are relatively small. 5000 people at $20 a month is $100000 a month, after court costs, if any, there would be a significant amount of money left to play with. Anyways that's my idea, what do you think? Is it even possible?

Mike

THAT'S NOT THE CPU'S SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's Michigan Cannabis Patients.....not the CPU.

The problem here is:

Why would I fund caregiver/patient legal cost for someone who may be

Less careful-legal

More political

skirting the edges(sales)

Foolish Ie.... wanting to be a poster child/guinea pig or ignoring the guidelines

Possible previous run ins with authorities -taunting, dui's....

I just don't see this idea gaining momentum

The right case might garner some support but not all as in a general fund

My 2 cents

Sorry to hear about your friend HC

I agree, as with any program, there will be those who try to take advantage of the system, it happens in every thing we do from Social Services to every other program available. Nothing new, but with guidelines it would be great for people who are in compliance and they deserve our help, WE ARE FAMILY AND MUST TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER AS BEST AS WE CAN. This is how it should be.

BTW, my friend is only one example, how many more are out there in his same situation? Look at Bob and Torey, they have been "scrude" royal by the system and they were in full compliance. These are the people that need our help.

Also you mentioned those who want to be test cases, I really can't believe anyone would want to be a test case, but, so be it, if they were in compliance with the law they need and deserve our help. We are family.

There are more than 150,000 MMJ patients/caregivers in this state, how hard could it be to raise a defense fund? I'll admit, I know nothing about raising money, but someone in here does.

Your post reminds me of a story, don't tell a person that they can't do something, it just may come true. Moral of story is we must remain on the positive. You will not win with a negative attitude no matter how well you support your theory, you have already said that it is to hard and gave up.

Edited by Herb Cannabis