Using Medical Marihuana While Pregnant

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not have an absolute answer but it seems to me that it would be wiser to not smoke mj, along with avoiding most substances that affect our mood. the reasoning behind this is that if you affect the developing child it is FOREVER. They would have to live with any developmental changes that might occur. If a substance does nothing, of course you do not have a problem by not doing it, but if it does something perhaps something not readily apparent then you might have irreversible developmental damage. I have a friend who avoided even coffee while pregnant. After the birth of her daughter she really wanted a good cup of coffee!

If you take the responsibility of bringing another person into this world then I think you should be willing to avoid Anything that might make a change. I am not saying I know but rather i am trying to look at the problem in terms of behavior and logic.

If it was me that would be the approach I would take. Better safe than sorry.

My good friend vaped 2 or 3 times a week throughout all 3 of her pregnancies.

Her daughters are healthy, smart and beautiful.

My personal observation has been that THC in moderation does not harm a developing child.

Not only that, it may prevent the development of opiate appetite in the future. Increase the number of brain cells also.

Our bodies actually produce THC. Breast milk contains THC to help bond mother and child and to encourage the child to eat. Perhaps smoking is not the optimum way to medicate. I would think vaping or medibles would be better.

Edited by Irishgreen

Our bodies actually produce THC while pregnant. Breast milk contains THC to help bond mother and child and to encourage the child to eat. Perhaps smoking is not the optimum way to medicate. I would think vaping or medibles would be better.

Cannabis Reduces Infant Mortality

Surprising connections between "Failure-to-Thrive" and Cannabinoids.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/june272010/marijuana-infants-sc.php

(NORTHERN CALIFORNIA) - Years ago, a friend of mine, a good Christian lady, had a child with "failure to thrive". She had CPS all over her, looking for even the tiniest trace of child neglect. They found none. The child was well cared for, but she just didn't seem that interested in eating. Her bottles often went half finished.

I believe that those bottles of formula, given from birth, were major part of the problem. Our bodies make chemicals called "endocannabinoids" that are closely related to THC and cannabidiol (CBD). Endocannabinoids control many bodily functions and are excreted into breast milk. When lactating female rabbits were injected with CBD, a non-psychoactive, plant-derived cannabinoid, there was "a significant accumulation of the drug in milk." [1]

Endocannabinoids are also detected in human and cow's milk, with the highest levels occurring the day after giving birth. This healthy dose of naturally-occurring endocannabinoids stimulates the suckling reflex in newborn mammals, including humans[2].

When newborn mice are given a chemical to block the effect between endocannabinoids and their CB receptors, the mice simply don't know how to eat. Yet, if the blocking agent is mixed with an equivalent amount of THC, the mice eat and grow normally[3].

CB receptors work kind of like an ignition switch. First, you need the right kind of "key" (the right-shaped cannabinoid) to go into the "keyhole" (the receptor) to turn on the "engine's" action (suckling, stopping pain or inflammation, or maybe killing a cancer cell). Phytocannabinoids (cannabinoids from plants, like THC) can mimic the effects of your endocannabinoids - they can turn on the same "ignition switches" as your body's own cannabinoids. The blocking agents (antagonists) are like sticking a broken key stub in the keyhole. You can't get a real key in, and the engine can't turn on.

Research has been done in Jamaica and findings have shown that cannabis caused absolutely no adverse effects on pregnant women or their babies.

You might have missed an important detail.

The babies with consuming mothers had much healthier babies than non consumers.

IT IS GOOD FOR THEM.

Great Job Thanks2! Our bodies are amazing things.....all the chemicals in this world are overriding our natural biological processes.

I have long thought there could be no possible way a synthetic formula could possibly be as beneficial to an infant as breat milk.....

Thanks for the supporting information!

WORD OF "caution" : If you are on any type of medical assistance through the state, they can and will test you for MMJ while pregnant. A healthcare provider is REQUIRED by law to report prenatal "drug" exposure. These tests are turned over to Child Protective Services and will be investigated.

Here is some info on cannabis and pregnancy. (NOT ADVICE- just info!)

http://forum.baby-gaga.com/about930354.html

Hypothetical

what if smoking during pregnancy lowered IQ by five pts? Would any of us be able to tell the difference? No the child could still be a wonderful, charming little sucker and we would never know it. A lot of answers here are based on studies that were not replicated. I am sticking with better safe than sorry. Perhaps we could create twin children and then have them carried by two different mothers, preferably identical twins too, and have everything else be the same. Then we test the kids using the highest standards available. In fact i volunteer PB and J cain to carry the children. (OK I am being flip but gotta have some fun sometime!).

Hypothetical

what if smoking during pregnancy lowered IQ by five pts? Would any of us be able to tell the difference? No the child could still be a wonderful, charming little sucker and we would never know it. A lot of answers here are based on studies that were not replicated. I am sticking with better safe than sorry. Perhaps we could create twin children and then have them carried by two different mothers, preferably identical twins too, and have everything else be the same. Then we test the kids using the highest standards available. In fact i volunteer PB and J cain to carry the children. (OK I am being flip but gotta have some fun sometime!).

This is a great point. The ADA has recommended fluoride be put in infant and toddler water for years, we now know it lowers IQ as much as 20 points. It also causes passiveness and children to hit puberty early. There are 25 studies that show this link.

Research shows fluoride is IQ-killer for children

http://www.wnd.com/2011/01/247189/

An older list of studies.

23 Published Studies Report an Association of Reduced IQ with High Fluoride Exposure

http://newworldorder...e-Exposure.aspx

Interestingly enough, there is not one study that shows improved teeth health connected to water fluoridation.

Edited by thanks2

Hypothetical

What if it raised the IQ?

Since I've moved to the city, I want no part of its drinking water an neither does my 5 month pregnant daughter

While we are on the subject of Cannabis an pregnancy, a friend of mine has a daughter that lives with her that is 5 months pregnant, my friend is a patient an caregiver, she's wanting her daughter to get an apartment, she tells me she doesn't want to be responsible anything happening that would ENDANGER the baby,

When her daughter moved in with her she wasn't pregnant, her daughter works but was supposed to start looking for a college,.

I told her she was right to have her get an apartment, my friend started crying saying this isn't fair.

I advise against Marijuana while pregnant.

I cant believe your asking that question so Ill answer it as polite as i can considering the seriousness of it.Do you want your fetus smoking marijuana? Now go in your quiet place and think it over very good before you answer it.

Do you know of any studies that show what happens to a fetus if it smokes something?

You seem to imply that would be a bad thing.

Edited by peanutbutter

PB sometimes I think you are way over the top in that you seem, at least to me, that you think that cannabis is a cure and is good for everything. You seem to do this because you like it and have had some good results with it. Still even if you have, that would find you making assumptions without scientific results. You seem prone to do this. Stop it! You have no proof that mmj is neutral in terms of the effects on a fetus in pregnancy and you are playing with people lives when you do. You can believe what ever you like but when you are giving advice to pregnant women in an area that involves fetal development you are probably way out of your league.

Like your statement asking what if mmj raised IQ 5 pts. It is a decent enough question but is it based on fact or just hypothetical? You seem to forget the roach motel effect in the as far as if you make changes to a developing fetus they are forever. There is general knowledge dealing with prenatal development. It is known what types of behavior on the part of a mother generally will result in increasing the odds that a child will be born with optimal development. Most interference with development seem to be negative, of course there are the one in a million (or whatever) positive mutations but as the late scifi author, Phillip K. penis said Everything goes to kibble. He was doing was referring to entropy that things break down to their lowest common denominator. Like boulders eventually can become sand but there is less of a tendency for sand to naturally become boulders.

What your doing seems to be encouraging behaviors where the outcome is a roll of the dice. Behaviors that make the mother feel good do not necessarily result in a good outcome for the child. Think of alcohol or thalidomide. Both make the mother feel good but can result in fetal alcohol syndrome or a kid with arms and legs that would make a porpoise mother proud.

Remember if anyone follows your approach and suffers for it they will have to live with that result for the rest of their life. You and I will not.

Better safe than sorry.

Melanie Dreher, who is the dean of nursing at Rush Medical Center in Chicago, did a study in Jamaica. It was actually published in the American Journal of Pediatrics in 1994, but now it's re-circulating because of all the interest in the neuroprotective properties.

Basically, she studied women during their entire pregnancy, and then studied the babies about a year after birth. And what she studied was a group of women who did smoke cannabis during pregnancy and those who didn't. She expected to see a difference in the babies as far as birth weight and neuro tests, but there was no difference whatsoever. The differences that the researchers did notice, that are unexplained and kind of curious are that the babies of the women who had smoked cannabis -- and we're talking about daily use during their pregnancy -- socialized more quickly, made eye contact more quickly and were easier to engage.

We don't know why this is so, but all the old saws of smoking during pregnancy will result in low birth weight did not show up -- at least in the Jamaican study. In U.S. studies where we've seen a similar investigation, women have concurrently been abusing alcohol and other drugs as well

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/03/20/researchers-study-neuroprotective-properties-in-cannabis/#ixzz1ufPHz3CX