Study Shows Cannabidiol Mitigates Psychotic Symptoms In Schizophrenics

Study: Administration Of Non-Psychotropic Cannabinoid Mitigates Psychotic Symptoms In Schizophrenics

The administration of the non-psychotropic plant constituent cannabidiol (CBD) is associated with a significant reduction in psychotic symptoms in patients with schizophrenia, according to clinical trial data published in the journal Translational Psychiatry.

An international team of researchers from Germany and the United States performed a four week, double-blind, randomized clinical trial assessing the clinical relevance of cannabidiol versus amisulpride, a potent antipsychotic agent, in patients with acute schizophrenia.

Researchers reported that the administration of either substance was associated with significant clinical improvement, but they acknowledged, “[C]annabidiol displayed a markedly superior side-effect profile.”

Amisulpride is categorized as “one of the most effective drugs currently in use for the treatment of schizophrenia.”

Investigators concluded, “Our results provide evidence that the non-cannabimimetic constituent of marijuana, cannabidiol, exerts clinically relevant antipsychotic effects that are associated with marked tolerability and safety, when compared with current medications. … The results … potentially represent a completely new mechanism in the treatment of schizophrenia.”

A review of CBD’s safety profile in humans, published online in 2011 in the scientific journal Current Drug Safety, concluded that the cannabinoid is non-toxic, safe, and well tolerated in humans, even in high doses.

Separate investigations of CBD have documented the cannabinoid to possess a variety of therapeutic properties, including anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, anti-epileptic, anti-cancer, and bone-stimulating properties.

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: paul@norml.org. Full text of the study, “Cannabidiol enhances anandamide signaling and alleviates psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia,” is available online here: http://www.nature.co...tp201215a.html.

http://www.theweedbl...schizophrenics/

I found it to be a really interesting study. Please note that this component of mmj is a non psychoactive part. they also state that thc is known to increase the frequency of certain individuals who might have a tendency to psychosis to have problems. I have some real high cbd mmj that I traded someone for because his patients wanted something more stoney. Although it's cbd/thc ratio is approx 60/40 it barely makes me feel at all high. I do get rather focused with it and a patient with ms says it decreased pain he felt in his arms.

I'd say 3% plus is significant. 8-12% is v. high cbd. have u had your H. cut tested...it is a female plant? I'm also gathering hi-cbd strains.

I've seen patient schizo-type positively stimulated from cannabis -just my opinion.. this was pre'08. unfortunately he died of bone cancer at 46.