LHB I agree, but this is more evidence than I have previously seen. I understand it could be fixed, but it is worth keeping track of.

I am not switching at this time, but will keep monitoring the advancement of LED"S. If and when they become viable it should really lower indoor growing cost's.

I remember when my only good light was the sun and then lo and behold they figured a way to use HID"S efficiently and I had an indoor sun, so I won't dismiss any chance on growing advancement.

I hear people saying how great these are however, talk is cheap. ESPECIALLY if the talk is coming out of the person selling them.

I WANT PROOF, NOT A SALES PITCH

Who would spend that much cash on trial? I don't see the value in a hunch. I would also need a friend or mentors vouch to pony up and change my rooms.

I have followed the various threads in all the different forums on this topic for several years now. In addition I have checked out the various offerings from at least ten different suppliers. My take on this is the top of the line LED units will probably do the job and you can trade off a 600 watt HID for 300-400 watt LED. The problem is the top of the line units costs $2,000- 2,500. If you already own the HID unit there is not a lot of incentive to change over.

The other downside is the supplier base, they are all new startups. Back when HID's went from magnetic to digital there were a number of new suppliers and everyone was all excited about the change over. What I experienced was the new suppliers did not seem to be aware that the existing bulbs at the time had problems with the digital ballast. It took several years for this to play out and all seems fine now, but in the meantime a number of the "new" digital ballast suppliers went out of business. The same could easily be true for LED.

Bottomline for me is I do not see any advantage to changing over at this point.

As with computers, DVD players, and smart phones, let the early adopters of LED tech reap the benifits of the lights, but iron out the wrinkles with the units, so that mass production can move forward in 1-3 years.

As with the switch over to CFL from Incandencent, I can see the Goverment putting pressure on the producers of Grow Lights to get the LED tech moving forward or risk REGULATORY ACTION!

And nobody wants that.