�?get Out, Romney, Get Out!”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/romney-visits-inner-city-charter-school-in-philadelphia-in-outreach-to-black-voters/2012/05/24/gJQAWBWYnU_blog.html?hpid=z2

Comments

Romney visits inner-city charter school in Philadelphia in outreach to black voters

PHILADELPHIA – When Mitt Romney came to an inner-city charter school here Thursday to promote his new education agenda, he received something of a history lecture about the persecution of blacks in America and the struggles of African American children to meet the academic achievements of their white counterparts.

145105763.jpg?uuid=vFnkwqUPEeGec_Tjh5s0ow

Republican presidential candidate, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney centered a speech Wednesday on the state of the American education system. (Mario Tama - GETTY IMAGES)

Seeking to broaden his appeal heading into the general election, Romney was venturing for his first time in this campaign into an impoverished black neighborhood to hear the concerns of local educators and community leaders. But here in the streets of West Philadelphia, the emotion surrounding his contest with the nation’s first black president was raw, as dozens of neighborhood residents shouted, “Get out, Romney, get out!”

Romney arrived at <a data-xslt="_http" href="http://www.universalcompanies.org/BLUFORD.html">Universal Bluford Charter School aboard his logo-emblazoned campaign bus and began his morning visit by meeting school and civic leaders at a formal roundtable session. “I come to learn, obviously, from people who are having experiences that are unique and instructive,” he said.

Kenny Gamble, who founded the West Philadelphia school last year, told Romney that his school’s top priority is improving the education of African Americans and closing the achievement gap between blacks and whites.

“Where there was a time when it was against the law of the country for people of African-American descent to even read or write, it is even more important today that we discuss education for the African-American community,” Gamble told Romney.

Romney highlighted his record of education as governor of Massachusetts, when the state’s schools were among the best in the nation in some areas. But Gamble interjected, “Governor, you’ve got to go back and remember how the whole concept of education has failed. You go back a few years, even in Boston, when they were trying to integrate schools and they had young black children going to white neighborhoods and they were throwing eggs at the little black children, spitting on them, calling them all kinds of names.”

Outside, meanwhile, some brick row houses across from the school were boarded up. Police had cordoned off a full city block to protect Romney and his entourage. Residents, some of them organized by Obama’s campaign, stood on their porches and gathered at a sidewalk corner to shout angrily at Romney. Some held signs saying, “We are the 99%.” One man’s placard trumpeted an often-referenced Romney gaffe: “I am not concerned about the very poor.”

Madaline G. Dunn, 78, who said she has lived here for 50 years and volunteers at the school, said she is “personally offended” that Romney would visit her neighborhood.

“It’s not appreciated here,” she said. “It is absolutely denigrating for him to come in here and speak his garbage.”

Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter (D) addressed protesters and the media, quipping that Romney “suddenly somehow found West Philadelphia.”

“It’s nice that he decided this late in his [campaign] to see what a city like Philadelphia is about,” Nutter said. But, he added, “I don’t know that a one-day experience in the heart of West Philadelphia is enough to get you ready to run the United States of America.”

“You want to have an urban experience?” Nutter added. “You want to have a West Philly experience? Then come out here and talk to somebody in West Philly.”

Philadelphia’s district attorney, Seth Williams, said Romney does not understand the plight of urban America and was hiding from “real Americans.”

“Instead of just talking at the school and getting back on his huge bus, he should come out, he should walk 60th Street, he should talk to folks who are out here that are mad so maybe he could understand how real Americans, those that live here in urban America, the issues that are important to us,” Williams said.

Although Romney has not focused on the black community in his campaign so far, his father, George, reached out to African Americans and pursued policies designed to help lift blacks out of poverty during his service as governor of Michigan and secretary of Housing and Urban Development as well as in his 1968 presidential campaign.

Inside the school, Romney debated issues with educators and tried to connect with the students. When he visited a classroom where the kids in the elementary school choir were standing, swaying and clapping to the beat of Kirk Franklin’s “I Smile,” Romney appeared charmed but did not dance with them. Rather, he tapped one of his toes slightly and bobbed his head, but did not catch the rhythm..

“You just sang a song about smiling,” Romney told the kids. “You’re all smiling right? Smile! Oh, that’s great.”

During the roundtable session, Romney said there was no correlation between classroom size and student performance, citing a report by consulting firm McKinsey & Company. That sparked a debate with some educators and other leaders around the table.

“I can’t think of any teacher in the whole time I’ve been teaching, for 10 years, 13 years, who would say that more students [in the classroom] would benefit,” said Steven Morris, a music teacher at the school. “And I can’t think of a parent that would say I would like my teacher to be in a room with a lot of kids and only one teacher.”

Later, during a discussion about the gap in student performance between whites and blacks, Romney said a key to improving achievement in the classroom is traditional households of a mother and father.

“For a single mom living in a shelter with a couple of kids – those kids are at an enormous disadvantage, there’s no question about that,” Romney said. “Relative to a home where a mom and a dad are -- where they’re able to be home for dinner…. And so if we’re thinking about the kids of tomorrow, trying to help move people to understand, you know, getting married and having families where there’s a mom and a dad together has a big impact.”

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever get the feeling that Romney is looking at the world through the filter of his own life and expects that everyone can conduct their lives as he does? His wife stays home with the children and, with the help of a nanny, housekeepers, and gardeners they live a truly utopian 1950's existence which he somehow expects is possible for everyone. Think he might be out of touch just a little?

The best comparison of Romney to another "person" is the comparison to Thurston Howell the Third from Gilligan's Island.

Ever get the feeling that Romney is looking at the world through the filter of his own life and expects that everyone can conduct their lives as he does? His wife stays home with the children and, with the help of a nanny, housekeepers, and gardeners they live a truly utopian 1950's existence which he somehow expects is possible for everyone. Think he might be out of touch just a little?

The best comparison of Romney to another "person" is the comparison to Thurston Howell the Third from Gilligan's Island.

You are so correct, I could not agree more. As I read this I thought to myself, my god this guy has been so privileged and socially stiff, and dare I say, so white, lol. (nothing against white folk) Completely out of touch with the real world......shredder

Only the rich or wannabe rich see him as a good candidate for president.

His old school corporate raider way of thinking isn't functional in our modern times employers do not operate the way they did in the 70s 80s and even the 90s we live in a very different world than what Romney sees the mans never lived an impoverished life hes a privileged prick who's so out of touch with the reality the rest of us suffer with on a daily basis and he just isn't a good fit to lead this country out of the mess we currently sit in ..

Shhhh not so loud, he might open one just for pure profit.... :horse:

You can make bank that his meds will be imported from one of those South American countries he hides his money from the IRS in

It is just a slight character flaw to hear some tell it LMAO

I could go on and on :gym:

Actually I watched a documentary about him and he always has been driven by money

It is his sole passion

He would make a fine dispensary owner

Just not a POTUS

Well, he did say the "trees" in Michigan were just the right "height".

Now that I think about it, it does sound like some kind of coded language.

Because the Government is you, and you are the government.

Ya know,.. "We the People" and "..of the people, by the people,..."

Ya know, how we passed the medical marijuana law in Michigan; through government procedure.

:-)

So when i see this

"Quit expecting government to give anything or do anything for you"

I read it like this:

Quit expecting "We the People" to give anything or do anything for "We the People".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Zr_vTwMbs

Quit expecting government to give anything or do anything for you, and do it yourself! Why does it matter who is elected if you get off the couch and help yourself! Some of the folks here are truly pathetic!

"...government of the people, by the people, for the people....." Abe Lincoln

In effect you're saying (grammatic errors fixed):

"Quit expecting yourself to give anything or do anything for yourself, and do it yourself! Why does it matter who you decide to represent you? Get off the couch and help yourself by participating in your own representation!" (I'll not repeat the crass insult.)

People who think that our relationship with the government is a us & them scenario are one of the big problems. Instead of fighting the "government" (the citizens of the US), make it into what you want it to be. That's your constitutional obligation as a citizen of the United States.

Perfect examples! The federal government has no business in personal lives, food stamps or any of the othe programs they have snaked into using the liberal agenda. For the people does not mean take care of the people. You see the whinning and complaining is being used to take away rights, thinking wars will end if the USA does not get involed is another joke.

Perfect examples! The federal government has no business in personal lives, food stamps or any of the othe programs they have snaked into using the liberal agenda. For the people does not mean take care of the people. You see the whinning and complaining is being used to take away rights, thinking wars will end if the USA does not get involed is another joke.

Exactly which one of your rights has been taken away so far?

guns.

what exactly has been taken away in regards to gun rights? there are many more guns than peole. You can buy a gun almost anywhere in the USA. You can buy unlimited ammo. I can drive just a couple miles to a gun club and another couple miles to another. Yep no guns here!. Stop spreading foolish lies.

I am sick of these guys who spout Republican talking points without clear substantiation of their positions!

what exactly has been taken away in regards to gun rights? there are many more guns than peole. You can buy a gun almost anywhere in the USA. You can buy unlimited ammo. I can drive just a couple miles to a gun club and another couple miles to another. Yep no guns here!. Stop spreading foolish lies.

I am sick of these guys who spout Republican talking points without clear substantiation of their positions!

thats because there NEVER IS any rational substance in their position

We need to insure a better tomorrow...VOTE

Edited by beourbud

thats because there NEVER IS any rational substance in their position

Substance to my position? I am a person who likes guns and feel that it is a fundimental right.

Letter from the ATF stating mmj patients are addicts and should not be allowed to buy a gun.

I am not a republican or democrat,

So what do sporting clubs have to do with this?

And where did I lie?

Obama has only expanded your gun rights since he has been president. He should have a 100% rating from the NRA. As far as the ATF memo... it means nothing. Even the precious NRA supports no marijuana users having guns. We asked and tried to get NRA support. Not happening. Guns and federal felonies do not mix. Penalties for marijuana and guns has been going on since Nixon with fervor.

Anyhow.

What is baffling to me is that Obama has expanded gun rights more than any President in at least 50 years when he signed the Credit Card Bill last year that has a provision allowing people with conceal carry licenses from any state to bring guns into national parks for the first time.

I was in Glacier National Park in northern Montana last summer and was surprised to see the brochure handed out by the park service containing a highlighted notice explaining this new right to carry guns into Glacier, Yellowstone, The Grand Canyon and 27 other national parks. Maybe Obama doesn't want the media to report this because it will hurt him with the liberal base, but the right wing nuts don't know it either and they should. I am on a couple of email lists for gun owners and you would not believe the scary emails I get about how Obama is going to take away all guns any minute with rhetoric that comes very close to in-sighting armed rebellion against the "Obama" government to protect the second amendment.

These right wing gun fanatics should be praising Obama for expanding their rights instead of inciting extremists to even higher degrees of hate speech, fear and potential violence. The media, especially Fox News, needs to discuss the reality and facts about Obama's expansion of gun rights whenever guns, tea parties, militias or even Sarah Palin are discussed. I want a reporter to ask Sara Palin what she thinks about the expanded freedom Obama has given her to tote her gun in more places than ever.

ANd then this was passed to expand Gun rights as well.

Law Enforcement Safety Improvement Act of 2010

On October 12, 2010, the President signed the “Law Enforcement Safety Improvement Act of 2010”, amending the “Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2004” (“LEOSA”, commonly referred to by members of law enforcement as “HR 218” or the “Right to Carry” law). The LEOSA of 2004 was intended to allow active and retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed weapons nationwide without having first obtained permits from the states to which they are traveling. In the Summer and Fall 2005 PBA Magazines, we explained the law and its various problems and ambiguities, particularly with respect to its coverage of retirees.

The new amendment includes significant changes for both active and retired PBA members in the following areas:

Qualifications of Active Members Who Are Subject to Discipline

Under the old law, an active LEO would not be considered a qualified LEO for purposes of carrying out of state where they were the “subject of any disciplinary action by an agency.” Pursuant to the amendment, an active LEO will be qualified unless they are the “subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in suspension or loss of police powers.” Despite the apparent relaxation of the disciplinary exception, there is still ambiguity as to at what point in the disciplinary process a law enforcement officer would be considered to be “subject to disciplinary action,” as well as whether disciplinary action is of the variety that “could result” in suspension or loss of police powers. We therefore urge our active members to exercise caution in determining whether to carry out of state if they have reason to believe they may be the subject of discipline.

Qualification of Retirees

Under the old law, in order to be a “Qualified Retired Law Enforcement Officer” (“QRLEO”) permitted to carry in another state, the retiree had to have met the standards and qualifications for active law enforcement officers (“LEO”) established by the state in which he or she resides, or otherwise be certified to carry firearms by the law enforcement agency from which he or she retired, within the last year. This was problematic for our retirees residing in New York state due to the state’s reluctance to establish any statewide standards and the NYPD’s refusal to create a certification procedure for retired members.

The amended law has created two additional ways for a separated member to qualify as a QRLEO. Where as in New York, the state has not established standards and qualifications, a member may also become qualified if he or she meets the standards and qualifications of any law enforcement agency within the state, or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within the state. Correspondingly, the certification that a QRLEO must carry along with his ID card in order to be protected by the law may be issued by either the state in which he or she resides or a certified firearms instructor, and must indicate that the member has met the standards of the state, or any law enforcement agency within the state, within the last year.

Finally, a former police officer need not actually be “retired” after 15 years of service in order to be a QRLEO, as under the original law. A former police officer need only be “separated from service in good standing” after 10 years of service. Note that the 10 year service requirement does not apply to line of duty retirees. A separated officer also need no longer be entitled to retirement benefits pursuant to the agency’s retirement plan in order to be a QRLEO, as was required under the old law. Notwithstanding these changes, it is not clear that our separated (but not retired) members would be authorized to carry, even if certified, because we understand that the Department does not issue ID cards to non-retired members and the law requires members to possess an ID card from the officer’s former police agency. Our guidance is not to attempt to carry a firearm under HR 218 if you do not possess a police agency ID card. If precedent is established that would change that guidance, we will update you through this website.

Ammunition

The right to carry now includes the right to carry any ammunition not otherwise banned by Federal law. Therefore the law now allows members to carry hollow point bullets in states such as New Jersey, where they are otherwise prohibited.

Edited by Malamute