Poll On Children And Medical Cannabis, Marquette

This is an interesting poll asking if children should have access to medical cannabis.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=759293

Here was my comment, add your own....

As a certification physician, I can say I've certified 3 children since the Act began. 2 were 17 year olds with Cerebral Palsy, bedridden with spasms and agitation. The 3rd was a 12 year old with ovarian cancer and is doing very well.

I think it is a misconception that folks getting cards are '18 year olds with stubbed toes'. My average patient age is 51, all have well documented medical records. Many are no longer taking narcotics such as vicodin or oxycontin.

Statistically, fewer than 20% of my patients are under the age of 26, the range is 12 to 96, and the vast majority of those younger patients were on chronic pain medications and other therapies due to motor vehicle or sports injuries.

It is easy to put up a poll about 'do you think children should use marijuana'. Heck no, I don't think spouse abuse is good or we should be dependent on foreign oil either. But would your poll results be different if you asked, should a 12 year old be able to use marijuana during chemotherapy?

Dr. 'Bob' Townsend

I find it appalling that people are so against medical cannabis for children but find no qualm with dumping bottle after bottle of tylenol childrens (which we all know of the risk and recent safety violations regarding this medication) down their child's throat. One day our society will, hopefully, get its head screwed on straight so we can stop poisioning our children.

The point I brought up is that the wording of the poll seemed to be 'do you think children should have marijuana?'. This is not a time to call folks idiots, we need to be careful how we phrase things, espeically in the press. Approach it from an education standpoint. Make the readers your friends, did you notice how many likes there are on my posts by using that approach? Now watch the poll numbers and see if we get our point across and they reverse.

Dr. Bob

This is an interesting poll asking if children should have access to medical cannabis.

http://www.uppermich....aspx?id=759293

Here was my comment, add your own....

As a certification physician, I can say I've certified 3 children since the Act began. 2 were 17 year olds with Cerebral Palsy, bedridden with spasms and agitation. The 3rd was a 12 year old with ovarian cancer and is doing very well.

I think it is a misconception that folks getting cards are '18 year olds with stubbed toes'. My average patient age is 51, all have well documented medical records. Many are no longer taking narcotics such as vicodin or oxycontin.

Statistically, fewer than 20% of my patients are under the age of 26, the range is 12 to 96, and the vast majority of those younger patients were on chronic pain medications and other therapies due to motor vehicle or sports injuries.

It is easy to put up a poll about 'do you think children should use marijuana'. Heck no, I don't think spouse abuse is good or we should be dependent on foreign oil either. But would your poll results be different if you asked, should a 12 year old be able to use marijuana during chemotherapy?

Dr. 'Bob' Townsend

This post is a prime example of why Dr Bob is such an asset to this community. There is no more concise, straightforward, and impactful way to appeal to a person's logic than that post. That's powerful stuff. It's non-argumentative and demonstrates common sense reasons why the law is good. Without overtly saying it, it points out that the majority of the people certified are not college stoners nor baby boomer hippies. It doesn't argue the same old "freedom of choice" lines, rather it appeals to sensibilities.

Good job Dr. Bob!

Edited by CaveatLector

Lol, even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes. Thanks for the kind words.

It is an approach I favor and why I am so upset when I see screaming plastic pot plants with bullhorns on the steps of the capital, folks who don't know how to use spellcheck posting angrily in the newspapers, etc. I really think that sets back the movement and the approach I take is not only more effective, it is just as easy. Which one do you think the reps/senators, city officials, and general public listens to?

Dr. Bob

Lets see the state takes children from parents puts them in foster homes and shoves Ritalin down their throats

Drug Children to Death

The child protectors just don't care what they do to the children they're charged with protecting.

People criticize me for being opposed to children being "sedated" by the "child protectors." They say that it is necessary in many cases. That may be", default", but my contention is that the "child protectors" vastly overuse sedation to make up for a lack of competence at the simple skills required to be able to handle children. To compensate for the fact that the children they rip from their loving families (which are in the majority) can be expected to "act out." This story from the Los Angeles Times proves my thesis. The story is long, but if you love your children, you'll read it all -- and do something about it.

When we beat CPS and my son got his two boys back, we discovered that the older one was on "meds" they CLAIMED were a "mild" sedative to "calm him down." We immediately stopped the use of this drug and had not a bit of trouble (out of the ordinary) with him. Maybe our competence in parenting had something to do with it.

http://www.ritalinde...en-to-Death.htm

Critical Look at the Foster Care: Medication of Children

The psychotropic drug most often prescribed to foster children in Washington state over the past five years has been methylphenidate, or Ritalin, which costs the ...

www.liftingtheveil.org/foster13.htm

Edited by cristinew

Ok, this is a good example of what I am talking about. No offense man, but let's look at this.

Rather than really appeal to logic, non-confrontational, and encourage them to make our cause their own we....

1/ Compare it to something worse. Why are you objecting to marijuana when the ritalin YOU give YOUR kids is so much worse? As a parent I am automatically defensive, I sure am not one step closer to being YOUR friend or supporting YOUR cause, you f-ing pot head.

2/ I am my child's protector. I would fight a grizzly to protect your child if need be. And you are saying my concerns for children are bad? I sure am not one step closer to being your friend or supporting your cause, you f-ing pot head.

3/ I am not a competent parent if I oppose giving children marijuana. Really, I am not a competent parent? Says who? You, you f-ing pot head. Go take a hit on your bong.

For once put yourself in the shoes of the 63% that voted for this Act. WHY did they vote for it, what did they invision the typical patient would look like? When would they find it appropriate to use cannabis in a child? Don't confront them with questions of the darkness of their soul? Give them a situation like a child with cancer, a situation where they would CLEARY AGREE WITH YOU, THEIR NEW FRIEND AND FELLOW WARRIOR IN THE JUST CAUSE OF MEDICAL MARIJUANA...

Again, not a hit on you, just on the approach. You are a true warrior and put up good stuff. I just don't like this one for the reasons I mentioned.

Dr. Bob

PS, and while you are in a reflective mood, think about a bunch of rep and dems, who can't agree on what time to break for lunch, coming together in some cases over 98%, to pass these bills. What are WE doing wrong that caused them to rally against us like that. I wonder if they are competent parents and child protectors? Are their kids on ritalin?

Edited by Dr. Bob

• 3 months later...

I find it appalling that people are so against medical cannabis for children but find no qualm with dumping bottle after bottle of tylenol childrens (which we all know of the risk and recent safety violations regarding this medication) down their child's throat. One day our society will, hopefully, get its head screwed on straight so we can stop poisioning our children.

Even children get sick and can benefit from Cannabis..Sickness has NO age group..But i agree, Dr.s will give them pills all day long..I have friends who have children with adhd,ect..You ever see a child on that medicine? I have. These children get very sick, But dont mention Cannabis..I dis like Dr.s..

Ok, this is a good example of what I am talking about. No offense man, but let's look at this. Rather than really appeal to logic, non-confrontational, and encourage them to make our cause their own we.... 1/ Compare it to something worse. Why are you objecting to marijuana when the ritalin YOU give YOUR kids is so much worse? As a parent I am automatically defensive, I sure am not one step closer to being YOUR friend or supporting YOUR cause, you f-ing pot head. 2/ I am my child's protector. I would fight a grizzly to protect your child if need be. And you are saying my concerns for children are bad? I sure am not one step closer to being your friend or supporting your cause, you f-ing pot head. 3/ I am not a competent parent if I oppose giving children marijuana. Really, I am not a competent parent? Says who? You, you f-ing pot head. Go take a hit on your bong. For once put yourself in the shoes of the 63% that voted for this Act. WHY did they vote for it, what did they invision the typical patient would look like? When would they find it appropriate to use cannabis in a child? Don't confront them with questions of the darkness of their soul? Give them a situation like a child with cancer, a situation where they would CLEARY AGREE WITH YOU, THEIR NEW FRIEND AND FELLOW WARRIOR IN THE JUST CAUSE OF MEDICAL MARIJUANA... Again, not a hit on you, just on the approach. You are a true warrior and put up good stuff. I just don't like this one for the reasons I mentioned. Dr. Bob PS, and while you are in a reflective mood, think about a bunch of rep and dems, who can't agree on what time to break for lunch, coming together in some cases over 98%, to pass these bills. What are WE doing wrong that caused them to rally against us like that. I wonder if they are competent parents and child protectors? Are their kids on ritalin?
They are against it, because it doesnt fill there pocket book..