Medical Marijuana Backers Protest Proposed Michigan Legislation

Medical marijuana backers protest proposed Michigan legislation

Written by

Scott Davis

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...text|FRONTPAGE

LANSING — These days, Rick Smith says it’s tough to be a medical marijuana patient.

The 57-year-old Cedar Springs man carries a state-issued medical marijuana card that gives him the right to consume marijuana to ease his arthritis and back pain. But with each passing week, Smith worries a host of proposed state laws and court rulings will one day make it impossible for him to do so.

“They (lawmakers) are trying to tear it down, so medical marijuana is completely gone,” he said.

Smith was among about 50 people who attended a rally Tuesday at the Capitol — organized by the Battle Creek-based National Medical Marijuana Coalition — at which attendees called on state lawmakers to halt efforts to more closely regulate medical marijuana use.

On May 3, the Republican-controlled state House passed bills that would require patient photos to be placed on state medical marijuana cards and more narrowly define the doctor-patient relationship needed to receive medical marijuana certification. Moreover, the House passed a bill that day that would create a 15-member panel of physicians and others to review petitions requesting to add medical conditions to the list for which the use of marijuana is approved. These bills are pending in the Republican-controlled Senate.

Proponents of these bills say the medical marijuana law — approved by voters in 2008 — needed clarification. But critics say the proposed changes would make it harder for patients to get marijuana.

Advocates also are concerned about last year’s appellate court ruling that made it illegal for dispensaries to broker the sale of marijuana. As a result, they say, many patients have been forced to buy it illegally. “I don’t think the average citizen knows how bad it is for us,” said Joe Cain, the coalition’s CEO and founder.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Medical marijuana backers protest proposed Michigan legislation

Advocates also are concerned about last year’s appellate court ruling that made it illegal for dispensaries to broker the sale of marijuana. As a result, they say, many patients have been forced to buy it illegally. “I don’t think the average citizen knows how bad it is for us,” said Joe Cain, the coalition’s CEO and founder.

How does a patient buy it illegally?

Well, coming over from the other thread, the only message that really came out of this article was that a patient was concerned the legislature was trying to dismantle the Act, and Joe complaining about the McQueen decision.

Once again, if there was a message put out, what was it? Do we agree, disagree, or need damage control? I don't like speculating about unknowns and the article was very scant in information about what was presented.

Dr. Bob

That LSJ article says the protest was sparcely (sic) attended. 40 to 50 people. So I'm guessing the article cited by Restorium must be from the April protest since it cites 150 people.

Sadly, the sign in the forefront of the picture in the LSJ shows a sign being carried advocating for legalization. I think this protest again was sending mixed signals...

On May 3, the Republican-controlled state House passed bills that would require patient photos to be placed on state medical marijuana cards and more narrowly define the doctor-patient relationship needed to receive medical marijuana certification. Moreover, the House passed a bill that day that would create a 15-member panel of physicians and others to review petitions requesting to add medical conditions to the list for which the use of marijuana is approved. These bills are pending in the Republican-controlled Senate.

That's the message about the bills. Do you really think the average reader actually gets the drift of what is wrong with the bills from that? Or does it sound "Not all that bad"?

Do you think that message helped anything or made it look like we don't want pictures and we don't want to have to see the doc?

See what we meant when we said that the message needed to be controlled? This flopped if that is the only message going out from it.

Edited by Restorium2

By having someone illegally sell it at a FM perhaps? But again, let's not nitpick every word.

Dr. Bob

That's what I was wondering. Is that an admission that the FM is illegal?

Regardless, it doesn't paint a good picture in the closing lines of the article to say people are "forced" to do something illegal because obviously they are not forced. I think a better speaker would have said people cannot get their marijuana rather than saying they CAN get it but are doing it illegally.

And, yes, why is the dispensary issue even mentioned? I thought this was about what was currently in the Senate?

Why blame the protesters for the presses msg? IT DEFINATELY WAS ABOUT WHAT IS CURRENTLY IN THE SENATE... but we always get hijacked by the press.. and then blamed too.. LOL sucks to depend on MM..

I think that's the point. We know the press bastardizes the message so doing something where there isn't a very controlled and on-point message gives them the leeway to draw whatever conclusion they want from the protest.

That, and it wasn't the press holding the legalization signs. Look at the comments to the story on the LSJ.

That was just a summary. The only thing that bears on it is the patient's non-specific statement that he felt the act was being gutted. I guess you could put two and two together and assume the rough summary of the bills was what he was objecting to, and what was put out seems reasonable to the average person. I was very specific to the majority of the people that went to that rally, focus on what you specifically don't like about the bills, and concentrate your message on that. It was countered with 'we can object to everything', the result was an unfocused attack on something that can't, in all reality, be changed. The bills passed the house and likely will the senate. Had they focuses on specific problems within the bills, they might have been more effective.

For example here is a message that might have been more effective.

We object to the opening of the registry to law enforcement. If it is opened, they should be required to check it before getting a warrant and be held legally and fiancially liable if they don't check and raid a known, legal caregiver following the law.

Focus grasshopper. Focus. Give the senators and general public an example the can focus on because it makes sense and they agree with it.

Dr. Bob

No one blames the protestors. The blame falls squarely on the organizer. The job was bungled if that's what gets said about it. If there wasn't any chance of gain for patients then why did you do it?

With that message you might as well have been working for the people who want the bills to pass. Because the protest sure did get THEIR message out there.

Why blame the protesters for the presses msg? IT DEFINATELY WAS ABOUT WHAT IS CURRENTLY IN THE SENATE... but we always get hijacked by the press.. and then blamed too.. LOL sucks to depend on MM..

blaming the protesters is just more of the "do nothing line".... we all kn ow full well that we dont even need to be present and the media will say what they like. If anyone's to blame its those who tried to keep others from attending.

Well if we can gain that kind of controll over 130000 ppl then i will be so impressed and sing all your praises.. but i hope you dont expect that anytime soon.. We are a very diverse group of all sorts of ppl with all sorts of educational levels.. But luckily.. we got truth and love on our side.. Maybe they should have just sang Redemtion songs by bob marley.. ??? LOL How long shall they kill our prophets while we stand around and look..

could this protest had more of an effect had the mods on this site not pushed the do nothing mentality? did the repeated censorship cost us in regards to this protest?

It was your LEADER that F-ed it up. Pure and simple. The MESSAGE was important and it didn't get through. That was your leaders job and it was bungled. It had nothing to do with anything happening here. Don't try to pass the buck.

could this protest had more of an effect had the mods on this site not pushed the do nothing mentality? did the repeated censorship cost us in regards to this protest?

i agree, there is no such thing as a bad protest. To discourage people from using their rights as citizens is very disappointing.

You mean like these comments?

Chris LaMere

I am so happy to hear that there will be better regulations for Medical Marijuana. The "clinics" that cropped up after the law was passed, pay $200. to $350 at one of these clinics, and you will have a "covered" illness. It makes me sick.

I also think it is a Wonderful idea to have a Panel to look into requests for new illnesses to be covered. Why would there be an Objection to that?

These people that just want it legal are Nuts. I keep hearing "it's better than alcohol" or you will have to be 21 or older to grow it, What a Laugh, do they Really think that a 21 year old wouldn't be selling to younger Children? How Could it be regulated if anyone can grow it at home? At least alcohol it can only be purchased in bars or party stores with an I.D. With fines for Knowingly selling to minors.

I do Not want my Teenager ( or younger ) sitting in class like a zombie, or at Home or work.

It has been said that "the ones that don't use it now won't use it if it's legal", really are these people that naive? A lot of Children don't use Because it Is illegal, Expensive and not as readily available as it would be if Anyone could grow it.

I say Thank You for Finally waking up to the abuse that already exists and making the effort to Regulate the growing and Use of Medical Marijuana.

Reply · 1 · Like · Follow Post · 2 hours ago

• 195551_100002529608654_2403653_q.jpg

Jack White

Right, because it is so much better to have our tax dollars going towards incarceration of marijuana users than to something else, like education or healthcare. Oh, and I'm one of the ones that don't use it and will not use it even if it is legal.

A little bit of parenting can go a long way towards keeping your children from turning into a zombie, unless of course you would rather have big brother raising your children.

Reply · 4 · Like · about an hour ago

[*]

371539_100003227236140_1509998127_q.jpg

Jake Mountain · Top Commenter

Chris, it's telling that comments like yours would have, in the past, drawn dozens of pro-dope comments from the usual pack of dopeheads who wanted a dope den within walking distance of their rental homes... or at least on a bus line.

Why? Because the dope heads are so wasted, so often, so routinely that they can't hold jobs, can't afford stable housing and want YOU and other taxpayers to pay for their "right" to be lazy, indolent, dope head slackers.

When the dope dens started, public school administrators in urban areas saw a marked uptick in lower cost dope being sold to their students. Students who normally wouldn't get near the crap were now carrying their own stash, more students were selling, the increased dope smell coming from bathrooms, loading docks, parking lots was noted by the school officials who BEGGED lawmakers to change the law and get rid of the neighborhood dope dens.

There's still more work to do... but this is a good first step in managing medical dope access that was always intended by the dopeheads to be a backdoor to legalizing dope for all.

Reply · 1 · Like · about an hour ago

Let's look at the takehome message again.....

There's still more work to do... but this is a good first step in managing medical dope access that was always intended by the dopeheads to be a backdoor to legalizing dope for all.

Clearly not the only comment, but look at the theme. These things need to be organized, have a concise, focused message, the signs need to be managed to keep them on topic, and folks need to go knowing what they are there to do.

Was this the type of statement you wanted form the public in response to the rally? How many senators are thinking the same thing?

Next time listen to good advice.

The mods were against the protest because of the lack of organized message I think. And, as I pointed out, they were right. The guy they quoted at the end of the article bollocksed it. The sign pictureed at the head of the article was 180 degrees off the medical issue. Read what is being said on the comments section of the article. Some of it is just plain ignorance but some of it shows what the average person took from that story.

I'm not a mod, I'm an observer of mods and people.

What the mods, and MANY others, said on this protest was not so much suppress it, it was let's not go off half cocked. Organize, have a message, do logistics, dress code, signs, etc. We want to play to the public. We want them on our side. There is a difference between a mob and a rally, that difference is A PLAN.

I don't care what the mods say, I don't care what the people that went say. I freaking well care about what the general public and the senators say. The concern was that the message would be muddled, the press might not 'get it', and the general public would not understand why we would object to what appears to be pretty reasonable (in their eyes) regulations in a field they were told by the AG and others was the 'wild west'.

It is about time good meaning protestors exercising their democratic option come to a realization that maybe some of us are not all that far off after all.

Dr. Bob

You mean like these comments?

Chris LaMere

I am so happy to hear that there will be better regulations for Medical Marijuana. The "clinics" that cropped up after the law was passed, pay $200. to $350 at one of these clinics, and you will have a "covered" illness. It makes me sick.

I also think it is a Wonderful idea to have a Panel to look into requests for new illnesses to be covered. Why would there be an Objection to that?

These people that just want it legal are Nuts. I keep hearing "it's better than alcohol" or you will have to be 21 or older to grow it, What a Laugh, do they Really think that a 21 year old wouldn't be selling to younger Children? How Could it be regulated if anyone can grow it at home? At least alcohol it can only be purchased in bars or party stores with an I.D. With fines for Knowingly selling to minors.

I do Not want my Teenager ( or younger ) sitting in class like a zombie, or at Home or work.

It has been said that "the ones that don't use it now won't use it if it's legal", really are these people that naive? A lot of Children don't use Because it Is illegal, Expensive and not as readily available as it would be if Anyone could grow it.

I say Thank You for Finally waking up to the abuse that already exists and making the effort to Regulate the growing and Use of Medical Marijuana.

Reply · 1 · Like · Follow Post · 2 hours ago

• 195551_100002529608654_2403653_q.jpg

Jack White

Right, because it is so much better to have our tax dollars going towards incarceration of marijuana users than to something else, like education or healthcare. Oh, and I'm one of the ones that don't use it and will not use it even if it is legal.

A little bit of parenting can go a long way towards keeping your children from turning into a zombie, unless of course you would rather have big brother raising your children.

Reply · 4 · Like · about an hour ago[*]371539_100003227236140_1509998127_q.jpg

Jake Mountain · Top Commenter

Chris, it's telling that comments like yours would have, in the past, drawn dozens of pro-dope comments from the usual pack of dopeheads who wanted a dope den within walking distance of their rental homes... or at least on a bus line.

Why? Because the dope heads are so wasted, so often, so routinely that they can't hold jobs, can't afford stable housing and want YOU and other taxpayers to pay for their "right" to be lazy, indolent, dope head slackers.

When the dope dens started, public school administrators in urban areas saw a marked uptick in lower cost dope being sold to their students. Students who normally wouldn't get near the crap were now carrying their own stash, more students were selling, the increased dope smell coming from bathrooms, loading docks, parking lots was noted by the school officials who BEGGED lawmakers to change the law and get rid of the neighborhood dope dens.

Reply · 1 · Like · about an hour ago

Let's look at the takehome message again.....

Clearly not the only comment, but look at the theme. These things need to be organized, have a concise, focused message, the signs need to be managed to keep them on topic, and folks need to go knowing what they are there to do.

Was this the type of statement you wanted form the public in response to the rally? How many senators are thinking the same thing?

Next time listen to good advice.

look bob your daft...for a doctor.... look up any thread on mlive about medical marijuana you will find sim comments....who gives a flyin fek.... morons will say what they want when they want. if you think we should hold our tongues for fear that someone who hates us might think ill of us you are lost. again id guess your interest is money....

The average person wants MM and legalization..

Apparenlty you aren't listening to the average person anymore Annie, go look at the comments on the article. Then go to the 9/10 news poll on children getting medical marijuana cards. Shall I continue?

63% felt giving medical marijna to very sick people was a good idea. Since then we have all sorts of other issues (dispensaries, grows, mills) and 3 years of propaganda fromt he AG. Look at the comments, and see what the people that even care enough about the issue to comment have to say.

Not directed at you Annie, but it is time good meaning folks start listening to good advice.

Dr. Bob