Medical Marijuana Backers Protest Proposed Michigan Legislation

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest the 63% that voted for MM..(Thank You), would agree......The Good People of This Great State want MM and legalization

Those 63% voted for Medical Marijuana as a treatment

They did not vote for total legalization as some pro marijuana advocates would like to believe

That is the BIG difference

Why no captain i surely wouldnt even know where to find such things as statistics and all that smart man stuff.. I must have been dreaming of a different island where the ppl do support MM and legalization. Mary Ann and i will keep ourselves much more occupied with making your meals and cleaning the huts and gathering Mr Howells coconut milk.. *giggle Curtsey*

The thing is that message clarity was the biggest issue discussed when this protest was first brought up. That concern was completely ignored which will only serve to reinforce people's resistance to joining further protests hosted by this same group. I think, in the future, one would be wise to adopt Dr Bob's suggestions that some very clear messages be adopted as rally cries. Pick 2 or 3 and emblazon signs with them. Pick issues that strike a nerve among the general public. Maybe the whole "check the registry before you get a warrant" issue. Things like that, because clouding the issues of the legislative changes with pushing for legalization and complaining about the lack of dispensaries is so freakin off topic.

When you find the Stepford authors, let me know.

You weren't at the rally I see. I can tell because you know nothing of the speakers who were nearly all medical cannabis patients. The message at the rally was clear. More clear than at any other rally in Lansing for medical cannabis in the last couple of years.

I know the article is not as you or I would have written it. We did the best we could. I heard what was said by Joe and others to the reporter. I have said all along that we would get good press and some bad press too but that we weren't getting any good press and I feel that the people need to be told.

How are you telling the people that the legislature is not doing us any favors. How?

We got some good press and some good comments on the article....and some bad. It was within the power of everyone that attended to speak our message to the audience.

Had the rally been better attended it would likely have gotten more positive press attention. There are many posters that can take pride in discouraging attendance. If that's not you, don't take offense.

Those 63% voted for Medical Marijuana as a treatment

They did not vote for total legalization as some pro marijuana advocates would like to believe

That is the BIG difference

Some voted as treatment , some to promote Decriminalization

Either way we are on the same team....Pro Advocates ALL

Edited by beourbud

That is your belief, but you must understand at this point that saying it as if it is absolutely true does nobody any good.

It is as if you are saying that the voters didn't know what they were voting on...

And that is Your belief.

Your track record here aint so good.

The article is a PR hot mess

We need to embrace the new regs and thank the reps for their time..Good Job

Lets show them the Compasion

Lets show them we are sincere and genuine.....

Lets take care of the people and the pennies will take care of themselves

Edited by beourbud

You weren't at the rally I see. I can tell because you know nothing of the speakers who were nearly all medical cannabis patients. The message at the rally was clear. More clear than at any other rally in Lansing for medical cannabis in the last couple of years.

I know the article is not as you or I would have written it. We did the best we could. I heard what was said by Joe and others to the reporter. I have said all along that we we good some bad press too but that we weren't getting any good press and I feel that the people need to be told.

How are you telling the people that the legislature is not doing us any favors. How?

We got some good press and some good comments on the article....and some bad. It was within the power of everyone that attended to speak our message to the audience.

Had the rally been better attended it would likely have gotten more positive press attention. There are many posters that can take pride in discouraging attendance. If that's not you, don't take offense.

Well I think the lack of concern for the messaging logistics is what is the problem here. You could have had ALL patients speaking and that isn't what conveys the message. I would bet that NO reporter stuck around to hear all of the patients speak and I would further bet that any members of the general public didn't either. I think saying that all who spoke were patients is tantamount to saying, "we all held 3x5 index cards professing our protests to the senate vote." The point is that the message that is taken from the protest isn't all in what the speakers say. Think about it, 99% of the messaging that comes out of a protest is all done by the media.

Knowing that the media will be covering the protest one must then think like a reporter. What does a reporter do? They use their 5 senses to gather info on a story. They walk up, see the signs and whatever the attendance count is that day. They get a photo of what they see. That photo conveys what message? Well here it showed people advocating legalization. Then they probably take a listen for a few minutes and jot some notes down of some significant points. Doing so they come up with a few complaints. In this case it was the physician panel and the pictures on cards.

Then they interview the protest organizer. It is at that point that the organizer should have prepared talking points. You stick to those talking points to get your message across. Just like the media says, the presidential candidates don't answer the questions they are asked at debates, rather they answer the question that they wanted asked. That's what the leader should have done here. Simple stuff and what I would call protest planning 101. The leader should have been prepared with bullet points and highlight the most compelling reasons the senate shouldn't vote yes.

Instead there was a meandering path taken down the "we're mad at the COA for the MCQueen ruling" road. Why? How does that help the protest? How does that convince the reader that the senate shouldn't vote yes? It doesn't. It sounds more like an uncontrolled complain session than a leader trying to get his protest's message across. It gives the reporter too much inane content to choose from when picking a quote for his story. As a leader in that position you have a goal, right? the goal of your protest is to make the public see an injustice that will occur if the senate votes yes. So you tailor your content in such a manner that the reporter has only significant issue quotes to choose from. Keep the interview SHORT and get your key message across then stfu. The leader didn't do that apparently. Why? Because he is incompetent. That incompetence is the exact reason why people didn't want to attend. They knew the protest would do more harm than good and that published article proves them correct.

Lastly, you asked how I am telling people the seante isn't doing us any favors. Well, for starters, I'm not engaging in a protest that does more harm than good once readers read the article and see the legalization signs.

Edited by CaveatLector

I know the article is not as you or I would have written it. We did the best we could. I heard what was said by Joe and others to the reporter. I have said all along that we would get good press and some bad press too but that we weren't getting any good press and I feel that the people need to be told.

What good press? I have yet to see it. Why don't you post it?

I believe the 63% that voted for MM..(Thank You), would agree......The Good People of This Great State want MM and legalization

63% in 2008. I'd like to see a poll done now, after Schuette's claim of the apparent fruition of his prohecies.

There are people now who were not pleased that Mich Ave in Lansing was lined with 20 dispensaries last year. There are people who voted for the law whom, if given the chance now, would most certainly vote against it. Much of this has to do with the people abusing the law. Pushing it to its limits. And, now, people holding legalization signs at medical rallies. You know that affects perceptions...

I think we should look at what is good and what is not, and address specific issues. For example, narrowing who can be a caregiver even further does nothing to help patients! This should be stricken from the bill.

It will create situations such as this- where an elderly mother has to find a stranger to grow for her instead of her trusted son who happens to have a 20 year old assault charge on his record. People should have the chance to at the very least be able to sign a waiver to allow someone with one of the proposed listed felonies that would bar them from being a caregiver. For crying out loud, many with a felony on their record can't get a decent job, and being a caregiver may be the difference between self sufficiency and a bridge card. Just my two cents.

Then where is your support for the rally?

Where is the leadership? Where is your direction?

What is obvious is the Looking for Funding Commitment....Just sayin

Support for the rally? I think it has been made abundantly clear that, without proper planning and brand messaging, the mmma didn't support the rally.

washtenaut, I know you are well-meaning, but you must see the problem. It is on display right in this thread. We are trying to get the rights of medical cannabis users acknowledged under a law that is suffering at the hands of courts and police, when the number one argument from the medical cannabis opposition is that the law was written as cover for legalization.

I see that there can be a mixed message sent by the press from a rally. I have seen that for a long time. Recall that my original post and effort was to try to get a new Unity Letter put out saying that the patients oppose the legislation. I still feel we should do that and am unsure why no one else feels it is important. It would send an unambiguous message.

The rally was announced last week. It was not mine to control nor could I cancel it. I saw it as an opportunity for some good press, versus no positive press, so I asked others to come to the rally to support cannabis patient rights.

It wasn't well attended and the article in the LSJ wasn't as great as we all would have liked. Sorry, we meant well and tried our best but could not control everything.

So, is there another plan to get our plight in the press? Anyone?