Cancer Patient Removed From Hospital After Using Medical Marijuana

trix

Cancer Patient Removed From Hospital After Using Medical Marijuana

Angel Raich is a marijuana activist. She is also a cancer patient, suffering from a terminal inoperable brain tumor. Her condition is difficult– she suffers from severe headaches, pain, and frequent seizures.

At 46 years old, Raich is coming to terms with the fact that she is reaching the end of her life. She has worked to ensure her life concludes with both dignity and purpose.

3.14-shutterstock_48064288.jpg

Despite her desire to live peacefully for the rest of the time that she has left, Raich was removed from her hospital room at University of California San Francisco’s Parnassus campus on Monday for using medical marijuana. Ironically, UCSF is one of the leading teaching hospitals in the United States that researches marijuana’s benefits in treating both pain and cancer symptoms.

While the details of the situation have not been fully released, it seems as though Raich was using a vaporizer to smoke marijuana at the Parnassus campus when someone who worked at the hospital told Raich that they would “call the feds” unless she stopped.

Raich’s primary physician, Dr Frank Lucido of Berkley, CA, says that Raich needs to use marijuana every two hours that she is awake, and that denying her this medication amounts to “malpractice.”

In a statement to the press, UCSF said that, “any particles from vapor and odor could have an impact on other patients and hospital employees. Under federal and state law, a physician is at legal risk related to any activity that could be construed as prescribing medical marijuana to a patient.”

http://news.nuggetry.com/medical-marijuana/cancer-patient-removed-from-hospital-after-using-medical-marijuana/

Trix

:bong2:

Using MM in the hospital is a tad bold, but as the artical says not a lot of information had been released on the topic.. I wonder what details were left out. How did the vaporizer get past all the nurses and doctors? I wonder if they knew about the use of MM while they were a PT at the time.. Differant state differant rules and laws, I would think no matter where you are marijuana is still a shed. 1 drug. So I cannot see how this would be legal in ANY state, But I do know how it feels to be kicked out of a hospital due to the fact I simply had it in my system.

Trix

:bong2:

any open flame in a hospital room,for alot of reasons, is a no-no....it would seem that a edible would have been a better choice for her.i hate to say it but i agree that she shouldn't vap.in her room.perhaps other accomidations could have been arranged if she had spoke to the staff before fire'in up...lol..but hey it's hard to scare anyone facing end of life with little things like "i'll call the FBI"..or" i'll kick you out"...i hope she can find a place that will help her with all her medical needs and that she lives long enough to say "the best thing that ever happened to me was getting kicked out of that darn hospital" ..lol..bp

I use to drive a buddy of mine from houghton lake to detroit (henry ford hospital main campus ) in the early 80's when smoking cigs was still allowed, he had a tumor the size of a foot ball in his chest/belly area, (sorry i dont remember what kind of cancer) He used to smoke all the way down and all the way back, and when we would go into the cancer section of the hospital, the nurses would actualy ask him where his weed was if he didnt bring his tray in with him! also a friend of mine's mother had lymphoma cancer her cancer dr. was out of harper hospital, he told her to start using mmj back in the 80's, as far back as I can remember there have been dr.s in MI that would suggest their pt.s use mmj to help get thru the cancer treatments, the first buddy im talking of is doing great he is cancer free and lives in hawai and my buddys mom lived a good 30 yrs more, her type of cancer always came back, and the last one, I dont know what happened to, bottom line is dr.'s have known for many many yrs that mmj at least helped cancer pts tolerate chemo and radiation therapy!

Peace

Jim

i was a corpman in the navy back in the 70's and contracted hep c..my Dr,.a friend,told me he'd perscripe MMJ for me if he could,,,thats all it took..lol..more than once i had hospital security running around looking for the pot smoker..lol..it was the same isolation ward i'd worked before and those fools never stood a chance thanks to my friends..lol..bp

Medibles come to mind. I think there are many ways this could have been worked out without causing a confrontation. I could say my patient needed to smoke cigs for his well being every 15 min on an airplane as well, and the patient would be far more comfortable doing it, but I don't see the flight crew or the FAA allowing it. There is the issue of affecting those around the patient with the odor (common in apartments as well). In situations like that I recommend edibles to reduce the smell and intrusion on others.

Dr. Bob

I've found oil to provide a superior medical effect to all ingestion methods including the strongest medibles.

I respect this lady. Who's looking for a hero. She's facing the certain end of her life and has come to terms with it. I'd think she deserves the most potent medicine available to ease some of her suffering, which will enhance the quality of her life, and by doing that, perhaps even prolong her life.

Rick Simpson's hemp grease would provide her with relief from suffering. I don't even think a person could eat enough medibles to reach the place where there is no pain. I know I can't and I've eaten a pan of cookies trying to escape. The hemp grease provides relief, and you wake up feeling like you can fight another day, unlike the pharma poisons which drain your life force. It's good to get greased. This I know first hand.

This incident happened a couple of years ago and at the time was somewhat of a big deal, however, Ms. Raich was using a vaporizer and the hospital could have been more respectful of her needs and made a place available for her to utilize the medicine that she had been recommended to use. I have been visiting folks in hospitals here in Michigan, most have made some arrangement prior to going into the hospital to have somewhere to go and vape their meds, if that is not an option then there are medibles, they can be used anywhere and not cause major problems for other patients nor hospital administrators. j.b.

Its her relief medication.its legal in the state for that purpose...she has a brain tumor..it shld be treated no differently then other relief meds like morphine..wait morphine can kill you.its understandable why the hospital gave her the boot from a legal standpoint...I'm not sure medibles wld do the trick for someone which needs almost instant relief every two hours..

Keep in mind who and what Angel Raich represents. Yes, it was daring for her to vape while in the hospital, but not surprising or unexpected. If I had her background, and was facing the same future, I would have done the same.

I think you are on to something. Maybe she was trying to go out being an activist instead of a conformist.

I was in a major car accident and was in Detroit Receiving for 56 days back in 1986....My room was right across the hall from the nurses station....During that time I smoked about an ounce and a half out of a one hitter....I blew the smoke into a towel.....My towels in my bed always had tons of little brown spots from me blowing smoke into them....At first I only smoked at night...After a while it was whenever I felt like it....HJ

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...