U.s. Cracks Down On "world's Largest" Medical Marijuana Dispensary

http://news.yahoo.co...-021351348.html

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Federal prosecutors have filed civil forfeiture actions against an Oakland medical marijuana dispensary that bills itself as the world's largest, as part of a crackdown by U.S. authorities on California's massive cannabis trade.

The lawsuits, filed on Monday in U.S. District Court in San Francisco, seek forfeiture of two properties where Harborside Health Center operates, said Melinda Haag, U.S. attorney for the Northern District of California.

Harborside says it is the largest medical marijuana dispensary in the world, serving more than 100,000 patients in a "beautiful waterfront location," and is subject of the Discovery Channel reality TV show "Weed Wars."

"The larger the operation, the greater the likelihood that there will be abuse of the state's medical marijuana laws and marijuana in the hands of individuals who do not have a demonstrated medical need," Haag said in a statement on Wednesday announcing the actions.

"The filing of the civil forfeiture complaints against the two Harborside properties is part of our measured effort to address the proliferation of illegal marijuana businesses in the Northern District of California," she said.

In a statement on its website, the clinic said, "Harborside has nothing to be ashamed of, and will contest the Federal actions openly and publicly, with every legal means at our disposal."

"We look forward to our day in court, and are confident that justice is on our side. Come what may, we shall continue to care for our patients unless we are physically prevented from doing so," the statement said.

Harborside also announced a news conference for Thursday morning to respond to the "federal attack," saying that Oakland Mayor Jean Quan and other city, state and union officials would attend.

The action against Harborside is the latest in a crackdown on what federal prosecutors say is a flourishing network of illegal cannabis suppliers operating across California under the cover of the state's medical marijuana law.

The possession or sale of marijuana is illegal under federal law, which does not have an exemption for medical purposes.

The drive by federal prosecutors to shut down dispensaries has caused friction between the U.S. government and California, which in 1996 became the first state to decriminalize medical marijuana. Sixteen states and the District of Columbia have followed suit.

California Attorney General Kamala Harris, in a November interview with The New York Times, said the federal campaign had "only increased uncertainty about how Californians can legitimately comply with state law."

Harris also said federal authorities were "ill equipped to be the decision makers as to which providers are violating the law."

Federal prosecutors say the dispensaries operate outside of California law, which permits only primary caregivers to dispense marijuana and bans sale of the drug for profit.

(Additional reporting by Ronnie Cohen; Editing by Tim Gaynor and Peter Cooney)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

prosecutors say the dispensaries operate outside of California law, which permits only primary caregivers to dispense marijuana and bans sale of the drug for profit.

sounds like something schuette would say

Melinda Haag, must be prod of herself

They clearly are promoting the caregiver system. And want to show they are staying away from getting involved in circumventing state law.

Flaunting themselves on a reality show wasn't such a good idea after all. The Feds don't tolerate boasting in the media. The smack down was inevitable.

They do know how to pick them. That is part of winning and losing, as we see here in Michigan. I think it's a fair fight though. We all got to see how they operate. They buy from anyone and sell to patients for a profit. No BS about only caregivers servicing their patients. We needed solid direction and we are getting it. No more foggy areas. I thank Harborside and the feds for that.

Flaunting themselves on a reality show wasn't such a good idea after all. The Feds don't tolerate boasting in the media. The smack down was inevitable.

yea i wondered that myself abe, specialy when the boss says he has sold enough to do many life sentences! CSI= cant fix stupid!

and now the fires in colorado! were they not in the town that the brothers have a dispense in and where there massive out door (green houses are) the colorado show just aired a new one, and none of the original cast was in it! hmmmmmmm

Peace

Jim

Here's the line in the sand, defined to a sharp point, that everyone can understand, no fudgies, it's clear:

Federal prosecutors say the dispensaries operate outside of California law, which permits only primary caregivers to dispense marijuana and bans sale of the drug for profit.

um nope no line in the sand...though its a fitting way to describe obammers promises....you know washed away with the next wave...anyway....we shall wait and see on this one....if you go through the last few weeks of raids you will find several times the feds say "outside of state law"...but the state says "um no way in hell".... if they were violating state law....um the state should have/ would have....obammer and his gestapo are full of chit....drone on drones.

man this seems so obvious wtf....fed prosecutors raiding a legal place in cali saying...it was illegal in cali...get real. have you seen thier prison system? if anyone was breaking cali law they would have been in prison already.... this is more smoke and mirrors as obammer rapes medical marijuana and some of you still support him?

Edited by GanjaWarrior

yea i wondered that myself abe, specialy when the boss says he has sold enough to do many life sentences! CSI= cant fix stupid!

and now the fires in colorado! were they not in the town that the brothers have a dispense in and where there massive out door (green houses are) the colorado show just aired a new one, and none of the original cast was in it! hmmmmmmm

Peace

Jim

lol cant fix stupid but we keep voting dont we? while i kind of agree with you, and i see your point 100 percent i still have to say fek obammer and his drug war nazis.....if i drove 85 in montana and put the video on youtube would the feds come after me? its not about flaunting it, they know shows like that spread the word about mmj thats why they hate it.

They do know how to pick them. That is part of winning and losing, as we see here in Michigan. I think it's a fair fight though. We all got to see how they operate. They buy from anyone and sell to patients for a profit. No BS about only caregivers servicing their patients. We needed solid direction and we are getting it. No more foggy areas. I thank Harborside and the feds for that.

Yeah, thanks for oppressing humanity with insane laws, Federal Government. I really appreciate the solid direction!

Remember how laws get made. School House Rock my friend. School House Rock. We The People make the laws.

Don't you know they sneaked the 1937 Tax Stamp Act through with members of Congress not even realizing "marihuana" was hemp? We The People had nothing to do with that. Unless you consider corporations to be The People.

Edited by MightyMightyMezz

Don't you know they sneaked the 1937 Tax Stamp Act through with members of Congress not even realizing "marihuana" was hemp? We The People had nothing to do with that. Unless you consider corporations to be The People.

That's why you vote right in the first place. You aren't sneaking and foolishness past who I vote for.

schoolhouse rock? what? why say that....dont you grasp the system cant work when we change laws on the state level and the feds raid them anyway....

That's why there will be a federal case that goes to the Supreme Court to decide if the feds are following state law or not. Just because you say the feds are wrong doesn't make it so. We will have an official answer that everyone will have to follow.

That's why you vote right in the first place. You aren't sneaking and foolishness past who I vote for.

That's why there will be a federal case that goes to the Supreme Court to decide if the feds are following state law or not. Just because you say the feds are wrong doesn't make it so. We will have an official answer that everyone will have to follow.

But your guy is perpetrating the fraud too. All Presidents and Congressmen who share Obama's opinion that Cannabis sativa should not be legalized have.

Everybody thinks of different things when they think of legalization. Saying that one is for or against legalization, conceptually, does not necessarily serve as a litmus test for support of medical marijuana.

I'm talking about Prohibition against Cannabis sativa straight up. No Prohibition, no need for medical marijuana laws.

lol cant fix stupid but we keep voting dont we? while i kind of agree with you, and i see your point 100 percent i still have to say fek obammer and his drug war nazis.....if i drove 85 in montana and put the video on youtube would the feds come after me? its not about flaunting it, they know shows like that spread the word about mmj thats why they hate it.

bawahahahaha! thanks for pointing that out, guess that morning med vape got me confused on a few t-shirts with sayings on them lol!

one just says cant fix stupid, and other says csi cant stand idiots! my bad!

I dont do politics well, It surely would get me a vacations from here :angel:

but I didnt disagree with ya now did I?

Peace

Jim

edit= as far as the 85 in montanna, prob not, Unless you didnt have your seat belt on,,but if you were on a bike w/o a helmet no prob! lmao, Im all for the no helmet law, just dont think it makes sense to have a seat belt law for adults!

Edited by phaquetoo

Good luck with that. If it was phrased that way I don't think you would get the >50% that we do now for "legalization."

After 75 years of lies I guess that is the result. It never should have been passed in the first place and to uphold it now in light of how much benefit it is to people and the environment is plain evil.

Didn't they even admit in the the first episode of their show that what they were doing was illegal and they were constantly in danger of being raided?

Yep, illegal under an evil law.

Edited by MightyMightyMezz

Didn't they even admit in the the first episode of their show that what they were doing was illegal and they were constantly in danger of being raided?

yep, I loved the show, wondered if it would be back on, I used to wonder if the show was made before or after the bust, guess now I know eh?

They just ran the other show out of colorado, American Weed: Mile high show down, show title 420 or bust, none of the original family that show was about were in it, on direct t.v channel 276 ngc channel!

The colorado one was about a family of brothers that had dispenses and grew mostly all there own from what i remember, I have a few in my dvr, any how, i thought the town that got burned down like last wk was the town they just banned despensarrys at! I know that the show had at least one of the brothers stores in fort collins, CO or maybe there sweet industrial size grow was there, either way, id sure like to know something about that one, and what happened now that the fire is contained!

k sorry back to your regularly scheduled topic!

Peace

Jim

Yup. And he said he sold enough dope to do 100 life sentences. Drama. I heard a local dispensary owner say nearly the same thing.

But this will end a lot of drama. I like the sharpness of it. A sharp picture, no fog. No lumping the caregiver system in with the dispensaries. Two separate entities. One is not being challenged, they make that clear. They made the right choice because of the transparency of it.