U.s. Cracks Down On "world's Largest" Medical Marijuana Dispensary

I just finished watching the opening sequence of the first episode of Weed Wars, and I have a question, a serious question for us as medical cannabis patients and caregivers in Michigan:

When a dispensary owner goes on nationwide television and gloats that he has sold enough cannabis to be eligible for three federal death penalties, is it good for patients and caregivers?

Highlighting the absurdity of draconian drug laws could be deemed helpful by some, i guess it would depend on if your were pro mmj or not..

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps. There are other perspectives on this that must be taken into account, some of which may require decades of deprogramming in our opponents. Some of these values are automatically assumed even by our supporters, like not driving while "high" and keeping marijuana away from kids. These two obvious ones, and the more subtle "society does not want to promote the use of any drug" are our main hurdles on the path to "legalization."

However, there are lots of forms of "legalization" that take these objections into account, that would keep cannabis users out of the legal system while still not making marijuana legal like tomatos. In my opinion it is not legalization we should be obsessed with, but decriminalization.

I want Cannabis perfectly legal for every use with no restrictions whatsoever. I'm not willing to go along with a half-baked decriminalization scheme. Blow the whole thing wide open and reap the benefits across a wide range of economic sectors with hemp and "marijuana." Why continue on a destructive path?

Mitt is not the answer to this problem,

Why don't you say that like a thousand more times, but in one post so you can get it out of your system?

I just finished watching the opening sequence of the first episode of Weed Wars, and I have a question, a serious question for us as medical cannabis patients and caregivers in Michigan:

When a dispensary owner goes on nationwide television and gloats that he has sold enough cannabis to be eligible for three federal death penalties, is it good for patients and caregivers?

Alright here i go, out on a limb.

Harborside has been bending the California law for years. Whether people like it or not, they were not adhering to law and rules encompassed in California law having to do with co-ops and collectives. They pushed it. They know they pushed it. They did it on purpose and now they have what they wanted, a federal case. This is not by accident that it happened. It was planned on.

Now, for any patient supporters out there, Harborside was one of the biggest ripoffs on the west coast. Their prices were INSANE( up to $75+ for an eigth) which is higher than street price in california by more than triple. Their compassion is fleeting and the almighty dollar was the number 1 priority. If you look at their quotes, they say 100,000 patients must now go deal with illegal markets on the streets where they will get harmed. Their words not mine. Well, if you have ever been to California ont he medical side, trust me, noone needs to go buy illegal marijuana in California. There are so many SAFE sources for medical cannabis in California it is a joke to even refer to otyherwise. Not only perfectly safe, but 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Harborside while maintaining the same and better quality.

That being said, i do hope they win their case for reasons other than looking out for ripoff artists, but for the repercussions losing such a case would cause.

My pity is non existant.

Mitt is not the Answer.

NEO-CON RELIGIOUS BANKING HEGEMONY FRONTMAN.... WAITING... LICKING HIS CHOPS TO DO THE BANKS DIRTY WORK.

NOT THE COMMON MAN BY ANY MEANS...

ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

ALWAYS HAS BEEN

o.png

Obama is not much better a lesser of evils controlled by the 'Councol on Foreign relations' who take their orders from the World Banking Hegemony...Cannabis will be legalized when they want it to be and how they want it to be -since we are pushing back they push harder...escalation...war

choose sides now Wisely because your decisions willl reverberate back to us all from the future.

here is a mainstream article with a interesting view

could be lies though...sort for yourself

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/05/24/who-is-the-smallest-government-spender-since-eisenhower-would-you-believe-its-barack-obama/2/

Blessings...

You are awesome and loved by God.

Perhaps. There are other perspectives on this that must be taken into account, some of which may require decades of deprogramming in our opponents. Some of these values are automatically assumed even by our supporters, like not driving while "high" and keeping marijuana away from kids. These two obvious ones, and the more subtle "society does not want to promote the use of any drug" are our main hurdles on the path to "legalization."

However, there are lots of forms of "legalization" that take these objections into account, that would keep cannabis users out of the legal system while still not making marijuana legal like tomatos. In my opinion it is not legalization we should be obsessed with, but decriminalization.

first off zap...thank you for your benevolence towards me in another forum---I thought I was permanently...??...

if I can sneek that in here--

secondly IMO...mmj should be COMPLETELY legal for medicinal purposes....and decriminalized for recreational.Most of us do know how benign a plant this is against other things...

in California SB420 says:...." to enhance the 'access' of patients and caregivers to medical marijuana through [heres the kiker] ---collective, cooperative cultivation projects and to promote uniform and consistent application of the act among the counties"...

And notice it says 'enhance' ...not restrict

hence my adamant position on p-to-p

and I will give you a shirt should I ever meet you--

that's it verbatim ! I should know as we were the first one to put that on a t-shirt and spread the news...in 2001...the Mendocino medical marijuana patients union--- first in the country...dr Todd mikorya worked with us...and drWhite...the first md to write recommendations to folks...a lot of aids victims were the first patients......and THEIR caregivers....back then most of them were dying...that's how a lot of the mmj got started ...through aids support groups....and one of the first 'stores' was ACTUP which i believe it is still there...but after that mantra was introduced into the community at large--

this is what brought the pharmers out of the woods and the closet in NOR-CAL as it brought legitimacy to their efforts

and authority to their right to use cannabis....it has always been grown in Nor-Cal since the fifties...something a lot of folks don't know

and so at the very lowest level....patients rights...that was the strongest part of the law that allowed anyone with a registry card to legally access mmj...the dispensary model and all that it brings was born out of collectives....patients collectives....they used that to bring legal store fronts to the front of the equation as if you have ever been to sF you would know it is a densely populated area that doesn't support a lot of growing....if you take out indoor rooms that proliferate there now....the city of SF got behind Ed rosenthal and supported his effort to grow commercially for patients in SF to enhance access as it says....cooperative cultivation being the means to stand on the provisions in the law--

mr deangelo's harbourside side IS the largest dispensary out there and I have been ther dozens of times and it IS a very very cool place to go!

the whole thing is based on collective ---patients collective rights...and yes I am absolutely sure that harbourside has had over 100,000 patients go thru there as everyone I know frequented that place...and it is very popular with the most popular strains,seeds and some of the best medicine you have ever scene....only the cream

you have to be able to grow perfect medicine before harbourside would even think of you 'vending' with them......the kind you see in magazines! And zap if you were able to see some of the meds there I would bet $ you wouldn't be able to resist buying some--

in the whole dispensary debate you have to consider the history behind dispensaries to understand where it has evolved....and SF is one of the most liberal places you could ever go---a giant A2

and the gays were the first ones to hold up mmj as beneficial and at the point it was being argued was when a lot of people were dying there....literally hundreds a week! research dr mikorya and his work with aids patients and cannabis....sadly he is gone now and was one of the biggest champions of the fight for mmj......AND Dr white from Mendocino.....he too Is gone

but dispensaries will always be illegal!....always...it's trafficking is how it was always explained to me and the Feds will never accept it...it cuts into their cocaine and heroin business IMO and they don't want competition ....that's what the dea does is they are the enforcement arm of the American cartels started by king George I( senior bush and well documented)

and it's hegilian principle...thesis ...antithesis....synthesis

dispensaries are 'tolerated' in certain urban areas by the Feds....and supported by locals in those areas....SF has something like 6-700 clubs in and around the bay area....it's fun to go clubbing there if you have a card

and too mr deangelo sticking his face and ideals outthere was just a matter of time before the authorities were going to use him to send a MSG..like they did in Oakland to mr lee and his endeavors.....and I hope alll100,000 patients there come out to support harbourside as it truly is a visionary type dispensary and ..." at the top of the food chain"....as I told mr deangelo the first week he was open

I hope that place survives for everyone's sake-

and this is a good place to say that if you stick your neck out too far you will get your head chopped off!

and that I am sad to say is what it looks like they will try to do to mr D--like they tried with mr lee

to send a MSG!

and I always heard the Feds have a certain cut off--they always go after the dispensaries that are operating in the multiple millions range---5-10 is what I have heard

and there are many out there that are in that range and are very cool places to go if you are a cannabis cluttered person...but I will not publicly name any unless someone else does first

LA has over 800! in and around the city ...and it is a big thing in Hollywood to have the newest flavor of the month

look up WAMMM...women's and men's medical marijuana collective in Santa Cruz and read the support they got from their city officials

they had a garden for 150terminal patients...constantly dying...and a lot of aids patients

see how the city defended them and encouraged their enterprise and then think about the access part of the equation

Obama is not the answer to this problem, :)

that Haag person reminds me of our Michigan attorney general

and Ms. Christine W.--- A PUBLIC OPEN APOLOGY to you--- RESPECT!

if I can sneak that in there also--

and ms Haag is a puppett us prosecuted still trying to implement policies ther from Baby George(bush jr)

when he fired all the us prosecutor there that weren't enforcing federal policy....it's documented and was very controversial when it happened....it started with the us attorney in SF

and they are still trying to use their puppet attorneys that will enforce their rhetoric.....that's when the federal push to go after dispensaries started...

unckle Tom Obama? he has done nothing to change anything he said he would do that got him elected...nothing

in fact if you look at all the campaign promises he made he has done the opposite in almost ever situation

they work for the federal reserve not us!

and if it ain't good for the corporations and the members of the federal reserve that own them then it just plain ain't good....and that goes for us!

big pharma will lose a lot of $$i if they can't get all of us baby boomers on their prescription pill plan with monthly $$

they are afraid and pissed if we take our health into our own hands...JMO

my father currently takes 22-27 pills a day!

you know what kind of billing to his ford retirement benefit plan that amounts to?...thousands a month!

and I won't tell you all the side effects he suffers from the 'medicine'!!...he is my father--

and moms on around 20--

and I believe when a president gets elected they take him into a private room and show him the rest of the Kennedy film and then ask him..."any questions?"

I believe what we are seeing in all mmj states is policy that goes beyond what we as voters could do anything about unless we develop our 'green zones' and stand together and tell them to 'leaf' us alone!

so again APLOGY--- and like Joan rivers says "can we talk?"

about this and other important issues that concern us all even if we don't all agree on the same approach

Edited by purple pimpernel

yes i thoght dispensaries were in the Californian law,

they are absolutely not in the language of the law there....and everyone knows it there

they are tolerated and were all born out of patients and caregivers collectives.....kinda lik CC but in a different sense

the first ones were in SF for aids patients primarily as it was clear to their caregivers as to the efficacy of the plant towards people with aids....look at dr mikorya ....he was one of the first to champion mmj as effective medicine for his aids patients....and he fought hard!

he has a book out on it...look it up I forget the name...

and the whole city of SF is a green zone so to speak with oaksterdam being at the top where harbourside is...Berkeley is sweet to for clubs...very bohemian and college progressive orientated

the 'green zones'....we allready have one here...Ann arbor where voters approved 3-1the initiative and that is what I don't understand as it was almost the same in Oakland county and Livingston...and definately in Wayne co......I am anxious to help with the Detroit ballot initiative or proposed decrim that will be on the ballot there....we need to establish these 'green zones' IMHO

and I only see this as good for Detroit in general....maybe if the gang bangers smoked more there would be less crime? JMO

as cannabis mostly produces a peaceful attitude...and is conducive for people to share and get along...(supposedly)read into that one

wherever there is an option to make a profit you will see the profiteers....especially if it can be had with no defense by the ones there trying to profit off of

just growing the plant brings wealth---you don't have to sell it--

as an addendum to my post---

all the dispensaries in Cali are operating under .."collective cooperative cultivation".....to .."enhance access to patients and their caregivers"...

I always noticed in that how 'patients' was the first word in that clause and 'caregivers' second....as the law was clearly written there for patients accesses first....without that caregivers would not be needed--

and the Colorado model is based on a 'for profit' format that gives all power and control to municipal authorities and their ordinances....completely different but if you go back and study the history if the Colorado model it too was born out of patients groups and collectives....hence the neccessity towards a tax and regulate distribution model that lets the authorities retain all control and the most benefits thru tax and regulate

that is why there are over 800clubs in and around Denver and boulder

to illimanate a free for all as in Cali....they wanted more control over it

that is why illegal gardens flourished and doubled and tripled since the distribution model was introduced there....no pharmer in their right mind wanted to be kept track of their 'sales' or vending to these places ...as they had to keep detailed records of who and what they sold to these venues...with accountable taxation

IMO that is the secret closed meeting model being discussed and pursued here in mich and the reason for all the fighting on the forums....there are forces here in Michigan that are pursuing this format and Colorado model of tax and control...they just have a different name for it called 'provision centers' and a slightly different approach JMO but time will tell--

the whole argument is not the legal aspect as the voters have made it clear here...

it's who's going to control it and how---

they are absolutely not in the language of the law there....and everyone knows it there

they are tolerated and were all born out of patients and caregivers collectives.....kinda lik CC but in a different sense

the first ones were in SF for aids patients primarily as it was clear to their caregivers as to the efficacy of the plant towards people with aids....look at dr mikorya ....he was one of the first to champion mmj as effective medicine for his aids patients....and he fought hard!

he has a book out on it...look it up I forget the name...

and the whole city of SF is a green zone so to speak with oaksterdam being at the top where harbourside is...Berkeley is sweet to for clubs...very bohemian and college progressive orientated

the 'green zones'....we allready have one here...Ann arbor where voters approved 3-1the initiative and that is what I don't understand as it was almost the same in Oakland county and Livingston...and definately in Wayne co......I am anxious to help with the Detroit ballot initiative or proposed decrim that will be on the ballot there....we need to establish these 'green zones' IMHO

and I only see this as good for Detroit in general....maybe if the gang bangers smoked more there would be less crime? JMO

as cannabis mostly produces a peaceful attitude...and is conducive for people to share and get along...(supposedly)read into that one

wherever there is an option to make a profit you will see the profiteers....especially if it can be had with no defense by the ones there trying to profit off of

just growing the plant brings wealth---you don't have to sell it--

Senate Bill 420 also grants implied legal protection to the state's medicinal marijuana dispensaries, stating, "Qualified patients, persons with valid identification cards, and the designated primary caregivers of qualified patients ... who associate within the state of California in order collectively or cooperatively to cultivate marijuana for medical purposes, shall not solely on the basis of that fact be subject to state criminal sanctions."

http://norml.org/legal/item/california-medical-marijuana

it's all based on collective cooperative cultivation language and you become a member of a collective by going there and getting meds......they photo copy your dr rec and you are in their files as a member of that collective...

consequently everyone that goes out to these collective distribution places are all connected thru the registry....something I sorta interpret in the mich initiative...making Cali one big collective with wide privileges ....not narrow ones

that's why I have ..JMO...stated that we are all connected thru the registry and that's what a lot of the clubs here are standing on and getting around the 'designated' caregiver language...JMO...and I have questioned quite a fews interpretations...

in cali it used to be in the beginning that a caregiver could possess as many patients as they wanted by virtue of having a copy of their dr rec it made you a caregiver for that patient...kinda like here--

and that is why IMO all the focus on 'vetted' caregivers....but I totally understand that argument too--

and in the beginning of the law in cali it was fine until they picked the word 'caregiver' apart and changed things based on the interpretations and semantics of that--

they made it so you had to document with no less than (??) 20hrs a week devoted to caregiving your 'patients'....made it a more bona fide clause...you couldnt just 'say' you were a caregiver...you had to prove it....which given time IMO we will see that here...maybe....and the bona fide language is something we are seeing here in regards to our recommendations.....and I have my concerns over the language in that...IMO its going to eliminate a lot of folks and only really documented ailments that qualify under the initiative will be allowed

so get your documentation together is my advice if you want to retain a card....this is my interpretation though and I am not sure how this will plat out in regards to folks renewing and such

google eddy lepp and see how big his collective got....3500+ patients and 25 plants per patient!

that's another whole thread--

an yes the "implied" protection is in there....just as it is for us here in the mitten....IMO

peace

(3) Enhance the access of patients and caregivers to medical marijuana through collective, cooperative cultivation projects.

(a) Subject to the requirements of this article, the individuals specified in subdivision (b) shall not be subject, on that sole basis, to criminal liability under Section 11357, 11358, 11359, 11360, 11366, 11366.5, or 11570. However, nothing in this section shall authorize the individual to smoke or otherwise consume marijuana unless otherwise authorized by this article, nor shall anything in this section authorize any individual or group to cultivate or distribute marijuana for profit.

11362.775. Qualified patients, persons with valid identification cards, and the designated primary caregivers of qualified patients and persons with identification cards, who associate within the State of California in order collectively or cooperatively to cultivate marijuana for medical purposes, shall not solely on the basis of that fact be subject to state criminal sanctions under Section <a href="http://www.chrisconrad.com/expert.witness/cahscodetext.html#11357">11357, 11358, 11359, 11360, 11366, 11366.5, or 11570.

-----

That is the entire law basicly covering collective or cooperative cultivation. (edit) in California.

Edited by Malamute

(3) Enhance the access of patients and caregivers to medical marijuana through collective, cooperative cultivation projects.

(a) Subject to the requirements of this article, the individuals specified in subdivision (b) shall not be subject, on that sole basis, to criminal liability under Section 11357, 11358, 11359, 11360, 11366, 11366.5, or 11570. However, nothing in this section shall authorize the individual to smoke or otherwise consume marijuana unless otherwise authorized by this article, nor shall anything in this section authorize any individual or group to cultivate or distribute marijuana for profit.

11362.775. Qualified patients, persons with valid identification cards, and the designated primary caregivers of qualified patients and persons with identification cards, who associate within the State of California in order collectively or cooperatively to cultivate marijuana for medical purposes, shall not solely on the basis of that fact be subject to state criminal sanctions under Section <a href="http://www.chrisconrad.com/expert.witness/cahscodetext.html#11357">11357, 11358, 11359, 11360, 11366, 11366.5, or 11570.

-----

That is the entire law basicly covering collective or cooperative cultivation. (edit) in California.

now that we all have admitted to watching the show....remember the big problem when they assessed the 2 million in back taxes ? "there's no way a non-profit just has two million sitting around"..... i mean they did go on and on in the show how all the money they make has to be put back in the community? Im sure they paid people well....but most people in the medical field don't work for min wage, while often working for a non profit place.

Edited by GanjaWarrior

nice of you to put that up Mal... I wish I knew how to copy and paste--

california has always been the state of civil disobedience--IMO

and the left coast IS the most progressive state we have...IMO

a lot of the interpretations of the law were just more progressive thought advancing mmj....and all our freedoms IMO

remember most of the 'hippie' factions all gravitated to Nor-Cal and are there to this day thriving and practicing what they believe in

and IMO the hippies were right on a lot of things---

diet

spirituality

freedom

alternative energy

alternative housing

alternative pharming

wholistic medicine

the need for more LOVE

too many to list---and still continuing to evolve

but they are light years ahead in the progressive thinking there...at least 15 to the mitten

alll though the consciousness derived from this plant aught to get us closer---and raise everyone's vibration

that IMO is why they oppose it most here....hell we might change things--wouldn't want that if I were a corporate narrow minded republican! letting my constituents have power over their own destinies....health or financial

geez I would have to support my friends in big pharma if I wanted to keep my 'kushy' (pun intended) legislature job that makes me lots of $$ and I don't have to do much--

and as my libertarian friends like to point out....a vote against freedom is a vote against yourself!

Flaunting themselves on a reality show wasn't such a good idea after all. The Feds don't tolerate boasting in the media. The smack down was inevitable.

Mega dittos. I love Steve but he made a huge mistake, I know he disagrees, and (privately) says he hopes the result of the battle (and loss in court(s)) will be an amendment to CA law, specifically allowing non-profits (such as Harborside) to act as generic Caregivers.

it's all based on collective cooperative cultivation language and you become a member of a collective by going there and getting meds......they photo copy your dr rec and you are in their files as a member of that collective...

consequently everyone that goes out to these collective distribution places are all connected thru the registry....something I sorta interpret in the mich initiative...making Cali one big collective with wide privileges ....not narrow ones

that's why I have ..JMO...stated that we are all connected thru the registry and that's what a lot of the clubs here are standing on and getting around the 'designated' caregiver language...JMO...and I have questioned quite a fews interpretations...

in cali it used to be in the beginning that a caregiver could possess as many patients as they wanted by virtue of having a copy of their dr rec it made you a caregiver for that patient...kinda like here--

and that is why IMO all the focus on 'vetted' caregivers....but I totally understand that argument too--

and in the beginning of the law in cali it was fine until they picked the word 'caregiver' apart and changed things based on the interpretations and semantics of that--

they made it so you had to document with no less than (??) 20hrs a week devoted to caregiving your 'patients'....made it a more bona fide clause...you couldnt just 'say' you were a caregiver...you had to prove it....which given time IMO we will see that here...maybe....and the bona fide language is something we are seeing here in regards to our recommendations.....and I have my concerns over the language in that...IMO its going to eliminate a lot of folks and only really documented ailments that qualify under the initiative will be allowed

so get your documentation together is my advice if you want to retain a card....this is my interpretation though and I am not sure how this will plat out in regards to folks renewing and such

google eddy lepp and see how big his collective got....3500+ patients and 25 plants per patient!

that's another whole thread--

an yes the "implied" protection is in there....just as it is for us here in the mitten....IMO

peace

Only half the state is the mitten. Please stop forgetting about us in the UP.

(sigh)

now that we all have admitted to watching the show....remember the big problem when they assessed the 2 million in back taxes ? "there's no way a non-profit just has two million sitting around"..... i mean they did go on and on in the show how all the money they make has to be put back in the community? Im sure they paid people well....but most people in the medical field don't work for min wage, while often working for a non profit place.

Non-profits get to pay themselves first. They showed the houses the owners were living in. The living room in the one house was bigger than the whole apartment I lived in 5 years ago. I also noticed they like to wear hand-tailored suits and drive brand new Cadillac SUVs. They were paying themselves quite well.

Just because you work at a non-profit doesn't mean you're not paid well. In fact, if a non-profit has a $500,000 surplus at the end of the year, they can give it to the CEO as a bonus, and make it so the non-profit didn't make a $500,000 profit. The CEO got rich, but the organization is still a non-profit group.

Non-profits get to pay themselves first. They showed the houses the owners were living in. The living room in the one house was bigger than the whole apartment I lived in 5 years ago. I also noticed they like to wear hand-tailored suits and drive brand new Cadillac SUVs. They were paying themselves quite well.

Just because you work at a non-profit doesn't mean you're not paid well. In fact, if a non-profit has a $500,000 surplus at the end of the year, they can give it to the CEO as a bonus, and make it so the non-profit didn't make a $500,000 profit. The CEO got rich, but the organization is still a non-profit group.

and? wtf does that have to do with anything....they still broke no law....make a thread complain about doctors making millions working at non profit hosp.....ever seen the ceo for any non profit that does millions in business?....they are not making min wage...with that said...they broke no law, they helped thousands and thousands of people....

One thing abour Harborside, they were helping some people.

But that's totally beside the point. We just want the courts to decide if their model is legal. Cut away all the good and bad they do and get to the legality. Then we will have a lot less drama, bait and switch, head games.

the state never made a move cause they never broke a law...its just more of obammers secret war on medical marijuana....the largest prison system in the nation....a state desperate for money....so would have raided these guys already. you know it as well as i do...

and? wtf does that have to do with anything....they still broke no law....make a thread complain about doctors making millions working at non profit hosp.....ever seen the ceo for any non profit that does millions in business?....they are not making min wage...with that said...they broke no law, they helped thousands and thousands of people....

yea they helped 1000's of 1000's of patients, but made millions! and that is compassion? I think not!

Peace

Jim