U.s. Attorney: Why I’m Busting Harborside Health Center

EdwardGlen

Medical Marijuana

Legal Clarity

On May 24, 2011, Governor Jan Brewer and Attorney General Tom Horne filed a Motion for Declaratory Judgment in federal court in order to get clarification on how the federal government intends to enforce drug laws and the impact on Arizona’s medical marijuana act.

Clarity is important because there are two official documents from the federal government that contradict each other. Court action is needed to force the federal government to clarify its position, otherwise Arizona state employees and other citizens who are following state law in good faith may find themselves targeted for federal legal action.

The two documents are linked below. The first is a 2009 memo from then-U.S. Deputy Attorney General David Ogden, which was distributed to all U.S. Attorneys, including the U.S. Attorney for Arizona, Dennis Burke. The second document is a 2011 letter from Burke to the Director of the Arizona Department of Health Services – the agency that wrote the rules that control the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act.

In part, the Ogden Memo states: “As a general matter, pursuit of these priorities should not focus federal resources in your states on individuals whose actions are in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana.” (Emphasis added)

By contrast, the Burke letter states, in part: “The United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Arizona… will continue to vigorously prosecute individuals and organizations that continue to participate in unlawful manufacturing, distribution and marketing activity involving marijuana, even if such activities are permitted under state law…”

“…The public should understand… that even clear and unambiguous compliance with (the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act) does not render possession or distribution of marijuana lawful under federal statute.” (Emphasis added)

Here are the documents:

Ogden Memo marijuana

Burke letter marijuana

http://www.azag.gov/...lMarijuana.html

Ah, the old, Ogden/Burke confusion.

Simplified;

Ogden threatened dispensaries and Burke said, "Quit picking on sick people". yadda yadda yadda, how many times have we heard that one? Next they say caregivers are dirty birds that need further regulation. Same old broken record they play to rip us off.

Unless I'm completely mistaken, most dispensaries are businesses, not sick people.

Ah, the old, Ogden/Burke confusion.

Simplified;

Ogden threatened dispensaries and Burke said, "Quit picking on sick people". yadda yadda yadda, how many times have we heard that one? Next they say caregivers are dirty birds that need further regulation. Same old broken record they play to rip us off.

Unless I'm completely mistaken, most dispensaries are businesses, not sick people.

Are you putting forth an argument that trying to regulate distribution is wrong? Are you against dispensaries or sick people having a safe way of getting medicine, if they are unable to grow for themselves?

What I said was, "Next they say caregivers are dirty birds that need further regulation." A flat out falsity to help line their pockets. Dispensary interests are saying that here in Michigan again.

When the memo is sent to a state that tries to enact a law that rips off patients by saying they can't grow within 25 miles of one of their stores, and the memo address these stores. Then Burke comes out and says, "Quit using resources to harm sick people." Well, he's a joke. Because the memo did exactly the opposite in Arizona. Burke should look himself in the mirror and repeat what he wrote. Because he had misplaced outrage, he is part of the problem, not the solution.

I won't debate you on Burke, it would simply be a waste of my time. Let's just see if this sums it up...Ok so according to you the MPP is now dirty and in bed with dispensaries, right? Ok then what's the ACLU'S hidden agenda..this is what they have to say...

The Ogden memo's inclusion of all state-compliant actors, not just patients, reflected the important practical fact that patients need to get their medicine from somewhere, and that prosecuting state-regulated distribution and cultivation systems, but not patients, leave patients with the legal protections they need but no actual medicine to relieve their pain.

What the Ogden memo recognized, in short, was that the war on drugs need not be a war on sick people.

The new policy outlined in the Cole memo is disastrous for patients and antithetical to public safety because it undermines efforts by states to set up carefully regulated distribution systems designed to help sick people get their medicine while preventing fraud and abuse. Exempting patients and caregivers while going after state-compliant suppliers will leave patients without a safe source for their medicine.

What is the government's message to these individuals, who rely on marijuana for unique relief? That patients should resort to black market drug dealers? That patients should go without their medicine?

http://www.aclu.org/...k-and-suffering

What is the government's message to these individuals, who rely on marijuana for unique relief? That patients should resort to black market drug dealers? That patients should go without their medicine?

http://www.aclu.org/...k-and-suffering

Their message was use a personal caregiver.

ACLU is even calling caregivers "black market drug dealers". I know it may be too much to understand, but yes, ACLU is pumping the dispensary clauses, DPA is, MPP is etc etc etc.

Home growing is "dangerous and illegal" and you cannot trust "home growers" they are not reputable and criminals. As matter of fact, unless patients have their personally grown medication tested, it is unsafe as well. We cannot possibly trust patients and their caregiver(family members, friends) to grow their own medicine. It is dangerous. It can kill people even!.

Yea... i have heard and watched all of this nonsense transpire for years and years and years.

The other one being used now is that "crude cannabis" is unacceptable.

So all of these twats that say "safe access" is crucial for cannabis, will soon be finding out that that is not enough to allow "crude cannabis" and we must go with pharma items like sativex and crapola.

All these testers and "safe access" people dont even realize they are shooting themselves in the foot by pushing the "safe access" theme against home growers.

They(testers, dispensaries, safe access) may soon realize that they are not safe either. Only non crude cannabis will be acceptable, and that will not include them.

Dumasses.

Support home growing... period. Marijuana is SAFE.

Edited by Malamute

This is a cottage industry and should remain that way, I cant say I feel bad about this. The feds however under Obama are looking to deliver this into the hands of big pharma. If you are missing this, shame on you! The dispensaries cannot be allowed to thrive, they are a threat to big pharmas new cash cow.

This is a cottage industry and should remain that way, I cant say I feel bad about this. The feds however under Obama are looking to deliver this into the hands of big pharma. If you are missing this, shame on you! The dispensaries cannot be allowed to thrive, they are a threat to big pharmas new cash cow.

The joke is on pharma then because none of us patients can afford it. The rec crowd isn't going to buy that either, they want to roll joints. So there is no cash to support this theory. And probably no conspiracy then either. Think about it. Your cow has no teets.

Well, here goes my parsing...

I actually do not care if dispensaries or farmers markets exist.... i just think you do not have to throw other people under the bus to have them. I will not accept commercialization if it takes away home growing, caregivers or intrudes on their ability to fully provide for themselves.

I may support a pipe dream though, but you would think co-existence is possible.

But currently, it is not being perpetuated in that manner.

Edited by Malamute

Why would you think they care if you can afford it? Once the feds lift the ban it will be delivered to big pharma, then they will regulate it federally, and states will comply. The USDA and the FDA will then be involved, how fun.

The joke is on pharma then because none of us patients can afford it. The rec crowd isn't going to buy that either, they want to roll joints. So there is no cash to support this theory. And probably no conspiracy then either. Think about it. Your cow has no teets.

I work in farming, and can tell you flat the feds control it. I have watched them scrap good product, and pay the farmer with tax dollars! All to control price! I have no doubt they will totally control this industry, once given the chance.

Well, here goes my parsing...

I actually do not care if dispensaries or farmers markets exist.... i just think you do not have to throw other people under the bus to have them. I will not accept commercialization if it takes away home growing, caregivers or intrudes on their ability to fully provide for themselves.

I may support a pipe dream though, but you would think co-existence is possible.

But currently, it is not being perpetuated in that manner.

Edited by nthlghts

Why would you think they care if you can afford it? Once the feds lift the ban it will be delivered to big pharma, then they will regulate it federally, and states will comply. The USDA and the FDA will then be involved, how fun.

Because the money has to come from somewhere doesn't it? You said it was a CASH cow. Who's cash? There is no cash for it. That's what Goldman Sachs already knows.

Every drug they make they get paid, some will not get it, but others will. And currently the projections on cannabis are in the billions for this year. People line up at dispensaries for high dollar smoke. You are not in the game as much as you claim, clearly.

Because the money has to come from somewhere doesn't it? You said it was a CASH cow. Who's cash? There is no cash for it. That's what Goldman Sachs already knows.

Every drug they make they get paid, some will not get it, but others will. And currently the projections on cannabis are in the billions for this year. People line up at dispensaries for high dollar smoke. You are not in the game as much as you claim, clearly.

Smoke you say? Pharma has none. See what I mean? And taking the smokable away isn't going to drive people to something else. Not enough to be called a cash cow.

So we have the Ogden Memo, it came out right after MPP wrote the law that says patients can't grow within 25 miles of a dispensary. The Memo was definitely right in the face of what MPP wrote, accident or not.

Now, MPP is in the face of Obama. Accident or not? I think not.

the thing your ignoring is that obammer and his drug war nazi drones are fning over pts left and rights,..... this disp is great example....millions in non-profit sales.... so they dealt with at least a thousand pts....and how many caregivers....who now wouldbe/ are going to the streets because of obammer....and you want to split hairs why someone doesnt like him....who cares hes a turd, he went back on his word....lets not get into Mexico...hes a failure. he is at war with mmj ...even if you dont want to see it.

mit romney is also a turd as well.