Hep C & Liver Damage. Any Benefits From Simpson Oil ?

I met a relative recently that has hepatitis C. About 5 years ago he went through some antiviral treatments that didn't work for him. The liver damage is showing in many ways these days. He is jaundiced, his legs and feet are very swollen, and he is experiencing very painful muscle spasms.

In reading about the benefits of cannabis to hep c patients, I've learned that mmj can help these patients continue with their interferon treatments as it helps with the nausea and flu-like side effects of the treatments. With cannabis moderating the side effects, more Hep patients are able to complete the interferon treatments.

The man I met is past trying this treatment at this point in time. I was curious if anyone has tried using Simpson Oil to try to help people in his situation. I was wondering if the Simpson Oil might help his liver function to improve. Also, he is looking to alleviate the muscle spasms and cramping.

Most importantly, what negative effects might cannabis treatment have on the patient or his liver? I had read some articles from a few years back that stated cannabis could make the hep c patient worse with increased fibrosis. Also, we know that cannabis patients may be refused a liver transplant by some doctors.

Any information or experiences, positive or negative, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks KD. There is some info in that thread on using Simpson Oil AFTER already having completed the Hep C interferon treatments, mostly from PB. Much of the discussion there was about the interferon treatments and their side effects. I didn't want to hijack the other thread by RockinLesPaul but I am NOT interested in weathering the treatments. My relative has tried that route and it did not kill off the virus for him.

I was looking for information on any prospects for Simpson Oil to help an individual with hep c and a poorly functioning liver. He is likely headed for the transplant list eventually.

• 9 months later...

Going through this exact dilemma W . Thanks for the interest. There is a test study starting at UM re: new Interferon type drugs of which I'm not knowledgeable bout at the moment. This part. test is more spec. tatrgetted at type #1. Unlike my type #2. I am willing to try again, cause #1 I think  I have the endurance, not real lot of confidence, working on it....

My liver #s spiked about six mos ago. still going up slowly. Could be the cannabis.  Trying to lose weight,too. More important than cannabis use to chances of getting liver transplant are drastically increased decreased by HepC . Just not a very long/good recovery record to make it viable. Yeah, sucks.... eh ? Not really, its life, thats the way it is. The bitter and the sweet. Make every f minute c at least in your mind. It helps. Best of all is the Cannibus. My favorite Sacrament. Peace.        

Edited by solabeirtan

The interferon didn't work for me either.  Later they treated me with interferon and ribavirin that did the trick and I have had a non detectable virus load for over ten years.  The treatment is a mother though every muscle in your body aches for me shoulders and lower back were the worst.  didn't have mmj at that time

I have a family member with Hep C that was my first patient. He went through all the treatments, which almost killed him, and has had fluctuating viral loads in his liver. Coconut oil and edible cannabis has helped him tremendously. The actual viral count can mean many different things. I don't believe Simpson oil(or any other type) has any advantage over any other form of ingested cannabis. It all gets metabolized in the liver to some degree. My former patient did interferon and ribavirin as well. He still has a very detectable viral count though. When did your count go down Itisi? How frequent are you getting a biopsy?

The combination therapy was given for a year and they did no load test again until it was done at that time it was undetectable as it has been every year since the doctors have not done another biopsy since as long as viral load remains undetectable.  However with some of the things I've read recently, I've been thinking about asking as I have read some info that claims that some with high virus loads seem to have affected livers yet some with no load continue to have liver issues.  Wish I could remember where I read that so I could give the link.

I really don't have any experince with RSO, but I did get good news last checkup.. My HEP-C is gone! Dr. said that it is rare for my body to fight it and win, but it did it on its own.. don't lose your faith guy's/ gal's miricales happen everyday keep your chins up...

Good luck everyone, enjoy this weather if your able to!

Trix
:bong2:

I really don't have any experince with RSO, but I did get good news last checkup.. My HEP-C is gone! Dr. said that it is rare for my body to fight it and win, but it did it on its own.. don't lose your faith guy's/ gal's miricales happen everyday keep your chins up...

Trix

Sorry If my disbelief becomes evident Trix, I am very happy for you, for this is truly no less than a  Miracle.

Which geno-type, Trix. How long did you have it. What else were you taking ? Come on man help us out!

When first detected? 

I really don't have any experience with RSO, but I did get good news last checkup.. My HEP-C is gone! Dr. said that it is rare for my body to fight it and win, but it did it on its own.. don't lose your faith guy's/ gal's miracles happen everyday keep your chins up...

Trix

Continue to be tested the doctors I've seen call it remission not cured.

The combination therapy was given for a year and they did no load test again until it was done at that time it was undetectable as it has been every year since the doctors have not done another biopsy since as long as viral load remains undetectable.  However with some of the things I've read recently, I've been thinking about asking as I have read some info that claims that some with high virus loads seem to have affected livers yet some with no load continue to have liver issues.  Wish I could remember where I read that so I could give the link.

I did the interferon therapy with no effect. I then did the combination therapy for 1 year. I still had detectable levels of the virus at the end of the therapy. However, my liver function studies returned to normal and have remained normal for 10 years. Last fall they were slightly elevated. I go back in next month for further tests.

So, the therapy did not eliminate the virus, but it must have reduced it to the point that my liver recovered. They have talked to me about doing the treatment thing again. I am having a real hard time deciding. It took me 5+ years to recover from the first treatments. I don't know if it would be worth it to me to go through that again.

Question for people who have gone trough treatment: Have any of you had any eye/sight issues that you feel may be attributable to the interferon treatments?

Question for people who have gone trough treatment: Have any of you had any eye/sight issues that you feel may be attributable to the interferon treatments?

Never really attributed it to the Interferon/Ribo treatments. Maybe started to wearing  those cheapo reading glasses, regularly back then. Never changed much the perscription/Power level. ie I started with 1.5 then  -+-.25 but back now to 1.5s. Use to be just for reading, but now I just look through them or over, instead of taking them off, most of the time.    

My former patient said that there is a new drug out. You have to take it in combination and he said the Interferon/Ribo almost killed him last time. 30 million count, liver enzymes abnormal, liver function ok. Had it for 20+ years, got it pre blood screening. Im trying to talk him into coming back to MI and taking a heavy coconut oil/cannabis oral regimen. I think he wants to try again, he only ate it infrequently last time due to job/drug test issues that are no longer a concern.

I am a HepC patient, went through the interferon program at the U of M. The interferon nearly killed me and my doctors eventually removed me from the program. While I can't speak specifically to your question on RSO's effect on the illness, I can swear by the use of cannabis to assist one through the interferon treatment. I had a liver transplant 15 years ago when my liver failed. There were 13 others getting liver transplants in the same hospital at that time. Of the 14 patients (including myself) I was the only patient who was using cannabis therapy in conjunction with the other treatments. Of the 14 patients, I am the only one who hasn't succumbed to the disease. I attribute that to my cannabis use. Considering that RSO is, putting it simply, a cannabis concentrate, one could postulate that it should be effective against this debilitating condition. Hope this helps you and all others with HepC to make the decision to include some form of cannabis in their treatments.  Peace ... j.b.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

CANNABIS OIL CAUSES LIVER TOXICITY!!!!!

I know thats what I have it's extremely painful.

I had to quit smoking cannabis because of COPD after 40 years of smoking it.  So I decided to try edibles then just eating decarbed oil within a few months I was having extreme nausea. A few months later I was having extreme pain my doctor first thought it was my pancreas but later found out after lots of testing it was liver toxicity. I have never been one who drinks alcohol so that was eliminated as a cause early on. My doctors then concluded it was from eating cannabis oil!!!!

NEVER EAT CANNABIS!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, BobS said:

CANNABIS OIL CAUSES LIVER TOXICITY!!!!!

I know thats what I have it's extremely painful.

I had to quit smoking cannabis because of COPD after 40 years of smoking it.  So I decided to try edibles then just eating decarbed oil within a few months I was having extreme nausea. A few months later I was having extreme pain my doctor first thought it was my pancreas but later found out after lots of testing it was liver toxicity. I have never been one who drinks alcohol so that was eliminated as a cause early on. My doctors then concluded it was from eating cannabis oil!!!!

NEVER EAT CANNABIS!!!!!!!!

LOTS of people eat and smoke cannabis their whole lives without any problems. 

I have a disease that makes it so my liver has to be checked every three months and NEVER has it even been irritated by cannabis let alone damaged.

Makes me wonder what the heck is going on with you?

Maybe you have been misdiagnosed?

Doctors like to blame cannabis.